Launcher Not Working

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Valerich.

• Has there been an update to the Launcher only I suddenly have a problem. It was fine up until late this afternoon when the game would no longer start, either in SP or MP.
    I get the launcher and, when I click the multiplayer game, EXE2 is momentarily loaded into the Freelancer folder but then disappears and the game does not run.
    I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit system which has been fine up until now.
    I have Norton anti-virus and both Freelancer Exe and Exe2 are allowed.
    Has anyone any idea what has gone wrong.

• weird, it works still the same way here. If you have EXE2 folder without running CF then delete it manually, check runing processes for freelancer.exe (if there, kill them) and try now start again.

• Yeah, I'm using Windows 7 and I'm often left to manually close Freelancer.exe since 2 appear, and 1 often doesn't close automatically.

But, wouldn't a "Freelancer.exe is already running" message appear in that case?

• we didnt change anything

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• interesting as i have the same suddenly here too, started appearing a couple of weeks ago along with my trouble i reported. i decided on a fresh install with everything. freelancer.exe great but when i run cc cleaner in the registry two faults come up with exe.2 in it. also a file with a missing mui file with freelancer exe 2. so like i said i delete it all out of the registry. all gone start the mod play no problems. the game ok now but those keep appearing after each check. after all that back to the post where is this freelancer.exe.2 coming from
    kermit

• EXE2 - is temporary folder only and is necessary for CF run (when is CF running only ofc :) ). For antivirus, firewalls prob etc. (if are any) is the best have whole Freelancer problem into exclusions.

Hanging process Freelancer.exe in memory - should be solved with 2.0 (own experience so far shows that this problem is not there anymore)

• I already got used to "hanging" process of FL on game completion whereas Loader's windows and Game in system aren't visible.
    Therefore always on completion of game I check its existence in system processes by a task manager.
    Yet you won't kill "hanging" process, the loader will give out an error. At present, in my opinion, one of operational medicines ;)

Win7 x64, without antivirus, only Outpost Firewall.

CF Chars: Valerich, Tr.Valerich, Valerich_VHF, Valerich_BS, Valerich_RS, Valerich_... etc

• Thanks you all for the input, but unfortunately nothing seems to work, even with a clean install. However, I do have a work around.
    The problem is with the EXE2 file, for some reason the Freelancer application, within this folder, now needs to be run as an administrator, just as the one in normal Exe file. So obviously, if the Exe2 file has not changed, then something has changed within Windows 8.1 or my anti-virus, which one, I have yet to find out. As I explained earlier, the Exe2 file loads but is then almost immediately deleted.
    So this is what I do. I have a laptop with Windows 7 and the program runs fine on this. So I run the program and then copy the latest version of Exe2 to a flash drive. I then start the launcher on my computer running Windows 8.1 in the normal way. However, I do not select “Launch Multiplayer”, instead I copy, from the flash drive, the Exe 2 file into the Freelancer folder and run the Freelancer application, in the Exe2 folder, as an administrator and it then runs fine.

• 2 Geronimo
    If I correctly understood, game through a launcher isn't launched even in the first attempt. Certainly game wasn't launched after system reset. So?
    If so, there is some flame. I apologize.
    It is a sad tendency of growth of problems with operability of game it is connected with a release of new versions Windows. The main headache is delivered by so-called UAC with the check of authenticity of applications.
    Try 2 options for incorrect start of game through a launcher:

1. Disable User Account Control (UAC) the Easy Way on Win 7, 8, or Vista
    or
    2. Windows 8.1 Crossfire 1.9 How Too

P.S. The server hard transfers game start to MP without launcher. Painless case teleport to Pittsburg planet (NY), in the worst-servercrush.

CF Chars: Valerich, Tr.Valerich, Valerich_VHF, Valerich_BS, Valerich_RS, Valerich_... etc

Edited 2 times, last by Valerich: Pittsburg planet ().