Graphical troubles on clean CF/FL install

There are 154 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• its more likely that your graphic card has a problem to display high-res textures for some reason

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Could be that too, but only with Freelancer then. Games like Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Dishonored and such are working with maximised details.

Is it possible for me to test this issue in any way ? Special benchmark or something ?

• does your mainboard have an on- board graphics card? or is there an old one lying around?

You could also try compatibility mode for Win XP if you didn't do that already.

• No Onboard, no old card and, sadly, XP compatibilty doesn't change anything...

I keep running DXDiags, various tests, looking logs and such but I have no idea how to fix this kind of thing

• sry, but I have no idea how to test high-res textures. GPU-Z has a Render test next to Bus Interface, the ?-mark, maybe that is helpfull in some way.
    I do recommend a reinstall of the graphics driver - use the advanced option and use "Perform a clean install" option.
    Otherwise I am also convinced about a hardware error, but don't known how test it.

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• I do recommend a reinstall of the graphics driver - use the advanced option and use "Perform a clean install" option.

I already did it twice with stable and beta drivers, using the clean install option. I guess I won't play Freelancer again...

GPUZ render test didn't show any graphical glitches =/

• PSU specs. are fine ?
    Minimum 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A) in 2 plugs.

Another thing might be to lower speed of graphics card a little bit - who knows if they oc a bit.

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Hiya I had the exact same problem well... have the exact same problem.
    What i dont understand is It worked with Crossfire like 5-6 Months ago after i had to reinstall everything on my PC it doesnt work Anymore hardware wise nothing changed
    Would love if someone could come up with an explanation for this

• Indeed, same as what happened to me on my old PC, there is something we would miss in self installed Windowses, but I suddenly got it right at a moment and I don't know what solved the issue... my book of programs to be installed was the same, but maybe the order changed something.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• PSU specs. are fine ?
    Minimum 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A) in 2 plugs.

Another thing might be to lower speed of graphics card a little bit - who knows if they oc a bit.

Who's PSU specs, OP?

Current System
    Tagan BZ Series 800 Watt Power Supply Unit,
    AsRock P55 Pro/USB3 Motherboard,
    Antec full ATX tower case,
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    Intel Core i3 530@4.00Ghz.:D
    8GB of DDR3,
    SATA Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard drive,
    SATA Samsung HD501LJ 500GB Hard drive,
    XFX ATI Radeon 5870 with Arctic Cooler GPU cooler.

• I don't think the PSU could be the problem since I don't have any troubles playing maxxed recent games but here it is : OCZ (Forgot the model) 1000w 80 Plus Platinum (Or Gold, can't remember but high-tier certification, nothing lower).

I tried to run the game with 4:3 resolutions and tweaking with the NVIDIA panel already, no changes.

I also tried old games like Crimson Skies, Midtown madness and Mechwarrior. I noticed that when I run these games in Software mode (instead of Hardware mode), I encounter the same blurry/crappy/look-like-smoke textures. Don't know if Freelancer uses the "same kind" (Note the quotation marks.) of engine detection or the way it try stuff before choosing how/with what to render the game. I did find other poeple with this kind of trouble and they fixed it by changing the depths in the .ini (Wich I already did but to no avail.).

To recap a bit, when I first start FL, goes to the options :
    - Resolutions don't show "x32" or "x16" at the end (As it should be if I look at some of the messages posted here earlier)
    - Graphical options bar maxxed don't change anything when I move them (Exept one maybe, related to lights if I remember correctly)
    - When I install CF (In administrator mode) no errors pop up, loading screens are messed up (As you can see in my first post, GTX 680 topic I linked. Yellow one, stretched and very blurry)
    - CF installed, Still no resolution showing "x32" "x16" and even if I select another resolution, the game doesn't switch resolution. It just ask if I want to keep the settings and the option menu goes to the section I selected. Coming back show the old resolution.
    - With FL Vanilla or CF, the .ini force me at 16bit depths and advanced_graphics at 0.00 by default. I can change them but the skybox still looks blurry and I still get white tex/Square explosions.

Everything written here has been tried at least 3 times, I resintalled my windows once yesterday, reinstalled my drivers 2 times for each distribution (Stable and Beta), CF and the game were reinstalled countless times (Following the FAQ, with unticked read-only and ran as Admin), CF install has been redownloaded a few times too, added my graphics card in the database multiple times/ways and I experienced textures troubles (One of my earlier posts, very low res texture but not white.) with another mod.

Every people I could find experienced each trouble apart (White/Square only or low res textures only) and some were never encountered (at least on the forum for all I know). I'll still looking around and testing thing but I still have no clue about the source of the problems nor about a solution, even a temporary or gettho one. At lest people here keep trying to help my and that's awesome of you. And, sorry to say that but I'm glad you (Torben =) ) experienced (are experiencing ?) the same problem, I feel less alone in this XD

• Hmm, I remember some mention of the "software mode" from a long time ago, I think it was at this game, but not sure...

There is a setting at the Graphic Card driver which controls what's the default way to run games, hardware mode or software mode, try both to see how it goes. If the setting is not visible at the driver and there's no info on google about it for your card (it would be unusual tho since mine has), then the setting is within window's component services.

Since on my old PC, same as the other player who mentioned it before, on a PC where CF worked perfectly, after reinstalling Windows and all (after formatting it), the game stopped working, having the white squares and all. There is something we missed when building Windows, it should be some setting since there is no real difference in what programs I installed from those I needed and had before.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Are you using a Nvidia Card ?

I can't find any real information on how to force software mode or hardware mode from the control panel so if you know how, can you explain it to me ? That would be nice

• GTX 650 Ti OC, works like a 660, but yeah, never had an issue with this one. Dunno why, I just installed it all the... simple way. Without touchign stuff in the driver, just OCed the CPU, and got a GPU OCer for when I need more power, but I normally keep it off, less errors, since it starts to fail, mainly because it's already OCed from the fabric.

The old one was an Ati GeForce 9600 or so, also worked well, with the 128mb card compatibility... until I formatted the PC and reinstalled Windows. Creepingly unusual 8o

Some settings on drivers, or such, don't get removed when reinstalling a driver, so probably there's something already setted wrong and it's hard to find.

Maybe it would take less time adding a partition on your HDD, and install windows, the secondary tools, then FL and CF, to test out if that solves the problem and maybe help resovling this issue, for other people too, when it happens.

• adding a partition on your HDD, and install windows, the secondary tools, then FL and CF, to test out if that solves the problem

Well,

I resintalled my windows once yesterday

I'm running on pure install with only required libraries for FL + FL + CF, the problem is still there. I'm tearing my hair é_è

• Yup, then it's some MISSING setting ^^ As you mainly just confirmed that newly installed Windows tend to fail at something...

Did you check the software vs hardware rendering ? Mine was in the Catalyst control, on the old card, never had to search for it on the new one. But still, there should be such setting at the windows services... dunno, google should know better...