Posts by Kolfrad

Well I read the whole 6 pages, tried everything which is mentioned here but i still have the same problem like Kolfrad (white squares etc.)
    I have a 680 GTX and I just wanted to ask if there is any solution out now?

Hi there, I have none sorry. And I completely stopped to try stuff with FL. I'm done with it, as good as it is, I'm not going to trouble myself any longer...

Thanks everyone for the help anyway !

If you remember when I said that at some game it was requiring some files from DX9 to make it work, there are fixes for DX9, when is needed, I just googled it and got few dll files or such that I had to copy.

Oh, I missed your post ! I think you don't have them around anymore, right ? Remember what you searched or anything related ? I can only find game-related fixed or D3D9 dlls to download...

*1-2 For PCIe 3.0 x16 (X8 mode), PCIEx8_2B(Grey) shares bandwidth with PCIEx8_2A(Red).

Related to Tri-SLI (or ATI equivalent) I guess, I remember the second red slot goes down from x16 to x8 when you plug in three cards.

Yet your GPU-Z is showing PCI-E 2.0x16 @ x16 1.1 (power save mode!) - If you start the rendering does those values increase (as they should to PCI-E 3.0x16/8 @ something ) ?

GPUZ when rendering : PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @ x16 2.0

Does yours show as PCI-E 3.0 ?

Are there any recommendations from ASUS where to put a single GPU card ?

As you suggested in your post (#25), I swapped the card from first slot to the second and the third, getting the same GPU-Z results. It is back to slot 1 now.

Once again, I am not sure the problem is hardware side since every other game is working perfectly fine. If power-eaters like Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Arma 3, DCS A-10 and such are running fine with no slowdowns or no texture messups/artefacts, why would FL with the CF hd textures only ?

Have you tried to disable physx? You can set the graphic details in the control panel for nvidia for the game as well as for global settings. Try to deactivate one setting after the other for freelancer to find out if one of the settings there might affect it.

Tried both again but no, nothing really affects it. Putting everything to Disabled (Or low when it can't go under) didn't changed anything at all...

Shame of the .tiff, I'm having some troubles with them on another game (But I now think it is the game wich is at fault here.) so it might have been a lead.

But why would it only fail in Underverse and Crossfire? All the other Mods ( that i tried out like freeworlds and origins and so on ) Worked fine

Experienced the same and I looked their textures, most of them are half the size of the CF ones. Other never go over 512*512 (Around that.) against 1024*1024 for CF so I think it explains why others are working better (At least in your case, I still get some HYPER LOW RES textures on some, like Genesis on one of my earlier post).

About the 16bit part, it only appears if you don't have 32/24 depths in the ini. Switching from 16 to 32/24 removes the line.

1. Is monitor connected only with DVI and original monitor cabel is used (if not please do that) ?

Tried on my two screen (One HDMI, one DVI), issue still present.

2. Does keystroke CTRL + F12 or CTRL + T have any effect ( 3D commands ) ?

3. SHIFT + F12 does nothing to the picture ?

Shift + F12 just toggle the ENB shader I guess, CTRL + stuff don't do anything.

4. Do any of you have general performance problems ?

Out of FL, nothing at all.

To recap :

Specs :
    - Motherboard : ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    - CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X - 3.30GHz
    - Memory : G.Skill Ripjaw X - 10600 - CAS9 (8*4Gb, 32Gb)
    - Graphic Card : Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom - 4096 Mb
    - Operating system : Windows 7 - Ultimate 64bit
    - Screen : Dual 27' monitors

Installed :
    - DirectX 11 + DirectX9 linked earlier post #83
    - Nvidia Drivers version 314.22 (Along with 3D drivers but not using Stereoscopy)
    - Microsoft Visual C++ Redist version 2005/2008/2010 (both x86/x64)

Missing something else ?

I reinstalled my computer 3 times now (twice for FL, once because I fiddled too much with components without restoration points... What an idiot). Tried multiple drivers, can't do much with DirectX since it comes packed (version 11 of course.) with Seven, the only thing I can do is upgrade it (DX8, DX9 and such only say "A newer version is already installed" and because it is integrated in Seven, I can't uninstall it. Microsoft...).

I've got everyhing the game need, benchmarked my CG to find if it could mess up textures and couldn't see anything wrong. FL is the only game who fail to render HD textures.
    Hm, I also had troubles with the game BULLY and had to patch it as the textures jacked up because of my RAM being way above the game limitations. Maybe FL is having something relative to it ? I have 32gb RAM, could the game don't know how to handle it ?

I am dead sure about running everything as admin ( and UAC has been disabled the first second I got my hand on Windows XD).

Yeah I know it can work, I'm running Seven since it came out in '09 and I did play FL without graphical glitches (Vanilla AND modded) in 1920*1080 once or twice, less than 6 months after Win7 release. The thing I don't get, is : if it came from the game being not "compatible" with my hardware to able to render textures properly, the vanilla ones would be messed up too since they are not made of magical graphics...

Damn, I never went through this much steps and troubleshooting for anything in my entire life I guess I NEED to play it again XD. Vanilla multiplayer was so awesome, ambushing NPC trains from broken lines as Rogues do and fleeing from "cop" and "bounty hunters"... Strict RP rules were enforced (mendatory, without a mod to manage this kind of jobs/roles) but it was really good and I'd like to have this much fun again (Not helped by some stories I can read here !) !

inside FLMM's folder, right there next to "FLModManager" application, there are files like "Crossfire 1.9 website" and "SWAT Portal" and 2 uninstall apps.

Check, I also have XCrashReport.exe, don't know if it comes from FLMM or the Genesis Mod.

inside the "mods" folder, there should be a "Crossfire1.9" folder with the DATA, DLLS and EXE folders, with 7 files, no less, no more.

Check for the CF folder and its content.

in the mods list, it should call the mod "Crossfire 1.9 Client Edition"

Check.

Back to the hardware <-> game relation I guess...

The thing that's making me mad is, WHY, OH WHY, FL is the ONLY game, on more than a hundred counting local and steam ones, that's the ONLY one I have huge troubles with. Hell, I even run abandonware with DOS/Win 95 games with less crap going on. Older games like Baldur's Gate I and II, Vampire the mascarade or Crimson Skies are running fine.

I tried to run FL+CF with all the compatibility options activated (Old card, No Shader, No HQ Effects, Low res Nebulas) with multiple settings :
    Respectively 16bit depth - Low | 16bit depth - High | 32/24bit depth - High

Menu :
    16-16-low-menu.png16-16-max.png32-24-max-menu.png

FP7 :
    16-16-low-fp7.png16-16-max-fp7.png32-24-max-fp7.png

FP7 Explosion :
    16-16-low-fp7-blow.png16-16-max-fp7-blow.png32-24-max-fp7-blow.png

Even with compatibility mod, I still get these damn squares. If only I could get at least non square explosions, the game would be playable (Right now, when something explode, I can't see anything I'm doing with the huge square thing hiding the field view...).

I went ahead and tried some things (mostly related to Hardware acceleration) like disabling DirectDraw and Direct3D, installing older drivers etc Nothing new.

I tinkered with the game files a bit (commenting/editing .inis), as always I found out some "fun" things :
    - No matter what I do, the game put the depths at 16 and advanced_graphics at 0
    - I can empty the flconfigdatabase.txt, the game won't say anything about my card being not compatible. I also tried to add some of the compatibility flags you can find at the top and the game completely ignore anything I can do with it.
    - I checked the problematic textures using UTF Editor so I can see if it is a corruption/installation issue but no, the textures are fine.
    - I noticed the creation of a new folder called "EXE2" when I run the game. Again after a bit of tinkering, it seems created by CF launcher. Not sure why but I'm sure there is a good reason. I was just thinking that, if the launcher copy files and start the game from here, the -dx shortcut is useless. And since the folder is deleted when I close the game, there is no way I can test things.

As SWAT said earlier, at least one part of the big troubles are the game that doesn't want to render 1024*1024 textures.

I don't think the PSU could be the problem since I don't have any troubles playing maxxed recent games but here it is : OCZ (Forgot the model) 1000w 80 Plus Platinum (Or Gold, can't remember but high-tier certification, nothing lower).

I tried to run the game with 4:3 resolutions and tweaking with the NVIDIA panel already, no changes.

I also tried old games like Crimson Skies, Midtown madness and Mechwarrior. I noticed that when I run these games in Software mode (instead of Hardware mode), I encounter the same blurry/crappy/look-like-smoke textures. Don't know if Freelancer uses the "same kind" (Note the quotation marks.) of engine detection or the way it try stuff before choosing how/with what to render the game. I did find other poeple with this kind of trouble and they fixed it by changing the depths in the .ini (Wich I already did but to no avail.).

To recap a bit, when I first start FL, goes to the options :
    - Resolutions don't show "x32" or "x16" at the end (As it should be if I look at some of the messages posted here earlier)
    - Graphical options bar maxxed don't change anything when I move them (Exept one maybe, related to lights if I remember correctly)
    - When I install CF (In administrator mode) no errors pop up, loading screens are messed up (As you can see in my first post, GTX 680 topic I linked. Yellow one, stretched and very blurry)
    - CF installed, Still no resolution showing "x32" "x16" and even if I select another resolution, the game doesn't switch resolution. It just ask if I want to keep the settings and the option menu goes to the section I selected. Coming back show the old resolution.
    - With FL Vanilla or CF, the .ini force me at 16bit depths and advanced_graphics at 0.00 by default. I can change them but the skybox still looks blurry and I still get white tex/Square explosions.

Everything written here has been tried at least 3 times, I resintalled my windows once yesterday, reinstalled my drivers 2 times for each distribution (Stable and Beta), CF and the game were reinstalled countless times (Following the FAQ, with unticked read-only and ran as Admin), CF install has been redownloaded a few times too, added my graphics card in the database multiple times/ways and I experienced textures troubles (One of my earlier posts, very low res texture but not white.) with another mod.

Every people I could find experienced each trouble apart (White/Square only or low res textures only) and some were never encountered (at least on the forum for all I know). I'll still looking around and testing thing but I still have no clue about the source of the problems nor about a solution, even a temporary or gettho one. At lest people here keep trying to help my and that's awesome of you. And, sorry to say that but I'm glad you (Torben =) ) experienced (are experiencing ?) the same problem, I feel less alone in this XD