Graphical troubles on clean CF/FL install

There are 154 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• Did you delete the folder in My Games, in My Documents ?

Anyway, you can also try using CCLeaner to clean up around (even though, to see any results you would have to reinstall, but no need for now.. until you get a better option), something is still blocking you from seeing the textures and such.

Yup, deleted and used CCLeaner each time.

if its blurry you might try to deactivate the enb shader option..

I tried, the game just look a bit brighter

The CHKDSK returned no errors, rebooted with "normal" configuration, still getting low-res game with texture issues... I'm going to redo everything once for the sake of it and, if nothing is better, I think I'm going to try mystical stuff, like voodoo and goat sacrifices. This is getting ridiculous, still want to play though... Call me stubborn.

• Do u have another decent graphics card to try with from old machine ? CF does not require much.

Pando: look at this index.php?page=Thread&postID=318833&highlight=Pando#post318833 and get rid of it.

Are u OC'ing the MOBO ? Carefull with the pci-bus clock rate !!

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Ok, the last hit would be that your download is corrupt, and it was not detected when activating... try downloading the mod again, maybe from moddb, and with a download manager so that the download doesn't interrupts.

For some reason I also had the boxes effect, and tried the same install on 2 PCs, and had the same on both, also, one was XP (and it worked perfectly before, on the same PC), and the other one Win 7. But then on a newer PC, I downloaded, installed, and all good O.o

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Do u have another decent graphics card to try with from old machine ? CF does not require much.

Are u OC'ing the MOBO ? Carefull with the pci-bus clock rate !!

No, I had to sell all of my old computer to pay a part of this one and I don't have another one around. No OC whatsoever, my power supply would be too short.

the last hit would be that your download is corrupt, and it was not detected when activating...

I thought of that and downloaded it three times now. First one was not complete (Got an error message), second and third time went fine I guess. I could find any CRC32 check around the forum so all I got is the Size/Size on disk (In octets, don't know if they are the same on an english computer but I think it is identical to bytes) :

Size is 1 961 163 987 octets
    Size on disk is 1 961 164 800 octets.

Not sure if size down to byte could show corruption but both of my downloads have the same size and I tried them both while the install/uninstall spree of these last days.

I just made a brand new installation of Freelancer (uninstalled, delete everything related to it, appdata/local stuff too, CCleaned, reboot, installation, reboot) and I'll be wating for size confirmation if anyone can provide it.

Thanks again for all the replies, shows how cool is the community here =)

• try another "red" slot

Okay THAT was a pain, frigging cables. GPUZ show the same (the @x16 1.1 showed because I didn't run the Render Test before the screen, it is actually 2.0) and the game is still glitchy.

Something is bother me :

800x600x32 or 1024x768x32 instead of 800x600x16 or 1024x768x16.

Is it supposed to be written like this in the options ? And if it does, is there any reason for it to not appear on my game ?

EDIT :
    Another thing I can compare is the size and number of files/folders of my game (Clean FL + Brand new CF, nothing more. Ran it only once. And again, the game refuse to change screen resolution if I do it from the options) :

Size : 5 574 821 653
    Size on disk : 5 611 257 856
    Files : 16 145
    Folders : 767

Maybe that's a way to find out if everything is in place or if something is missing/corrupted

Edited once, last by Kolfrad: Additional informations ().

• If you really did all the Running as FLMM and CF as admin, and etc right, this is a pretty ... bad mistery... there is nothing wrong with your hardware, so something must be in the software.

Is directx 9 "fixed" ? On Windows 8 there is(can ? ) some problem with old directx stuff as the windows already starts with dx 11, it was mainly downloading some file, but you have Win 7, not sure, but maybe it's still related. I needed to do that for another game, but still, it wasn't a problem for CF...

Btw, the 3D Sound off thing, that is as it's supposed to be, it's correct. Sound works well anyway, but that is just an original/vanilla game's version which was crashing people's games, and cause of errors, so it's by default on "OFF", and it must stay that way.

In the rest, there must be some detail that we are missing. What you can see is that, the game either has no access to see/read the required files to show you all textures from CF, like the new Trent and such, is not able to read them due to something wrong in a related program, either finds no such files as they were not properly installed. It is still, a pain for anyone...

Is your Freelancer folder, with CF installed, about 5.22 GB on disk ?

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I really did yeah, that's a real shame...

I'm not sure DX is at cause here, the vanilla game (Except for the eternal bad space textures and the screen res I can't change from inside the game) runs well without artefacts, white textures or such. Don't know if CF textures are working differently from vanilla ones. I'll try to find a way to force DX9 (The last time I played was when Vista came out and DX10 card and now i'm with Seven and DX11 card, worth a shot) but it looks like it is not possible (I'm still looking).

Yeah I think "one" of my problems come from reading CF files. I don't think of anything else that could block it other than Antivirus, Admin permissions, Read only... Maybe it is the place where my game is installed ? Maybe it is dual screen (Didn't mentionned it before since I saw a lot of people playing with two screen. I don't try to make it show up on both screen, just saying) ? Maybe a third party program blocks it ? I'm open to every suggestion (I moved my card on my motherboard, if it doesn't show it, I don't know what does.).

That's exactly its size : 5.22 on disk

• Of course not(that the vanilla game gave no problems), the original game is not as much as the Crossfire version of it, and it's made like one piece, there can't be any fails.

There should still be something we are missing, or you from the FAQ and suggestions, not sure, since I (and anyone else here) don't really know what's on and with your computer.

It is also possible that there is some registry which conflicts with the mod ? Not sure, maybe using CCleaner to purposedly remove registries, but I am not sure if that would be a problem for something else on your PC.

• I understand yeah... I redo EVERTHING following the FAQ and advices here, still not working. I'm done with it, I give up. It will never run as it should whatever I do.

Thanks anyway, it was nice of you to try to help me. I'll stick around a bit if someone have a new idea from nowhere =/

• Well, maybe if you would trust one of us, one could enter your PC by tools like Teamview, and try find what is wrong, without breaking anything else... you know, sometimes it's just as if I asked you to make an edit (of the code) on my site without showing you the code at all.

I am worried as it took me some time when I had that issue, so I could offer myself, but can't really guarantee it.

Anyway, OP still didn't post here, maybe he finds a solution first. O.o

• Dunno if this can help, but such white explosions you can have easily also if you reduce textures to zero. Pics attached.

• I'm not too fond of Teamviewer and such, my upload speed is REALLY poor so even at work, I can't decently connect and do remote things on my computer. Things are a bit better if I only Screenshare on Skype, if anyone want to take a look...

My Windows resolution, as expected, is 1920*1080 @ 32bits true colors.

I am downloading another mod to see if it goes better, if not, that would narrow down the problem to Freelancer not running full capacity. I suppose I can't force it to do that editing some .ini ?

• Well, maybe installing a different mod could "clean up" a bit, and then CF works... you never know :D

Anyway, remember that deactivating the mod won't work, so don't try mixing stuff up with the new mod.

• I'm back !

I tried with Genesis 1.1 (The one with the most of graphical changes with the less Mb to download I could find quicly) over a new installation (I swear, I can install it in my sleep now :D ) and here are the results :
    screen2.pngscreen3.pngscreen4.pngscreen5.pngscreen6.png

So yeah, the game looks way better, no square explosions (Without the introduction movie I couldn't screen it but it is working fine) BUT :

screen0-1.jpg

After a quick research, it should look like this :

pachyderm_clan3.jpg

It seems that my game/computer have some issues with SOME textures. Wich is a new lead !

• It's not with "some textures", since your bug is the same as when it happened to others, the thing is that something is, or was done wrong in the installation, something corrupted, or such... All CF textures were off/missing/not read.

Edited once, last by Michael: . ().

• I was just saying "some" because I do have troubles with Genesis too (The ship with the VERY LOW resolution texture) but not the custom texture of Trent.

It would be (is ?) very strange that only parts of the mods are not working (And always the same each time I reinstall everything). I'm going to try to install FL + mods on another disk to see if it changes something

EDIT :

Nope... Come on game, why won't you work ! I don't get it. I checked installer programs, nothing interact with my graphical output. Maybe it comes from my dual screen setup, I'll try to remove one screen. To avoid edit spam, I won't edit my post if it did diddlysquat (5 minutes max)

EDIT 2 :

Removing one of my screen from the computer didn't do jackshizz. I also discovered something : I can change the game resolution INGAME with Vanilla and Genesis, but when I try with CF, nothing happens at all. I don't understand...

Edited 3 times, last by Kolfrad: Additional infos ().

• Just asking...could it be some kind of problem with his graphics card? Maybe its too "new"?

I had this problem with some other games, they couldn't detect my card and set all textures, effects etc. to almost zero, but were working fine with older cards.
    That's the only other problem that comes to my mind, anything else was already tried.

• Just asking...could it be some kind of problem with his graphics card? Maybe its too "new"?

Hi there,
    Maybe yeah, I have the "same" card as this person : index.php?page=Thread&threadID=25153 and he has pretty much the same troubles. Sadly he never replied to tell if he fixed it or if he gave up...

As much I like Freelancer and I want to play it again on a nice multiplayer mod, I won't buy an older card and rebuild my computer just for it. Maybe I'll try to format and reinstall Windows but with all the stuff I use for my work (Half of the Adobe suite filled with plugins and such, VPN setups etc), won't happen any time soon.

While I'm hoping for a working solution, I'll take my space dose with FS2O :D