Genesis 1.2 mod released!

There are 39 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gibbon.

• Hi
    I think Gibbons mod is great,I love the resized planets but I dont love the cruise speed (300) or the trade lane speed (2500) its so slowwww,in Crossfire I could have a decent fighter and weapons in not very long from the start,but in Genesis it takes forever to get to mission waypoints at 300 and just as long to dock again,and getting to wrecks that are 50 or so klicks away...well you might as well put the kettle on!.Its a great mod but it drags and loses exitement.Up the cruise speed gibbo lets fly a little.
    Regards
    Vardek

Vardek

• Now you've put away your little hacks and have stopped getting banned lol, let's deal with how to get along in Genesis. As with any large mod, lots of ways to get things done, so you need to approach this mod as with any new mod with a fresh outlook.

Let's start with.... Money. There's a simple bit of trading you can do to get started. I appreciate trading is boring to some but then getting killed regularly is also boring so you need a better ship. This is how to get one. Buy some pleasure androids on Manhattan and take them to Newark. Repeat. In a Starflier you make 10k on every trip but do yourself a favour, grab a Rhino from Pittsburgh or a Rhino 2 from Norfolk shipyard, you will have a load of cash within an hour. Remember with the dynamic economy in place, keep an eye on the buy price on Manhattan as it does change. If it hits over 300, think about trading something else. After that you can go and look for some fighters and get yourself some better weapons. I run a neutral rep trading ship which funds my fighter char, at least at the beginning, as the higher paying missions are in the more dangerous territories. With the player banking options in game, it's easy to transfer cash between your own chars.

As to the speed in game, i wanted to keep that more like the original, but personally i don't think it takes that long to travel around, try Star Trek Online, you can have a 3 course meal and still be waiting before you get to where you need to go, at least until you hit the higher levels. I've tried to keep the system sizes in Genesis to standard or medium sizes so there's not too much travelling involved.

So to summarize, be patient, get some cash together first, grab a copy of FL Companion, build up your credits to a couple of mil, then go fighter shopping, it will make you much happier :)

• I think we are all spoiled by mods that have the cruise and trade lane speeds set higher than it was in original FL. I personally don't mind the slower speeds again. There is nothing to stop anyone to increase the speeds in OSP if you know what you're doing.
    As to the money making bit, I like to start it slow and build my fortunes to buy better ships and equipment. If this happens to quick it just spoils everything and boredom will eventually set in.
    Thanks Gibbon for yet another great mod.

• I like gibbons mod too, and about the speed...meh patience.
    but i have noticed that you can easily explore dangerous systems in a starflyer while enemies not really engage you...they may follow you for a while but the ai does not use any cd's...
    and as i told you that a zoomable turretview for traders or in general would be a helpful feature.

Edit by
    But your banana-console-messages are annoying^^

{ Lonewolf(reborn)MkII / (KoH / Dr.AS. / Mr.) Ridley / Volition (godlike) / Lt.Col.John_Sheppard / BS-Project_L20εα }

• Hi Gibbon
    Thank you for your patience with me,I have put away my little hacks and now intend to get my teeth into your marvelous Genesis mod,for some reason I had forgotten about the make another character option and the banking option so Thanks for reminding me I shall buy a Rhino and do some trading as you suggest,oh yes resizing the planets was a masterstroke,I will now get my brain in gear and set the controls for the heart of the sun.
    Regards
    Vardek

Vardek

• This is my first post on any of these forums. And I'm using this post to say...

"WOW!"

This mod is simply stunning. I'm an old freelancer player. Played starlancer and freelancer back when they first came out but after I had completed both I stopped playing. After 10 years I came back to try them out with mods.
    This is one mod I am definitely keeping an eye on. Great work!

• Silver-Gryphon: Hi there, welcome to the networks of the SWAT Portal ^^

By the way, if you liked Genesis, maybe you would enjoy trying out Crossfire too, the original mod supported by the SWAT Portal, where this mod, once installed, makes the Freelancer folder have 5.3+ GBytes. It also has an extended campaign/storyline, that continues the vanilla/original one. It should give you at least some hours of fun :D

Have fun,
    -Mike

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Crossfire indeed gave me lots of fun. I played through the vanilla campaign on my return using this mod (or freelancer HD edition as i like to refer to it :-) ).

The difficulty did put me off later on though, that said I really do admire the hard work and detail that went into the mod, the visuals are jaw dropping, i cant imagine playing vanilla freelancer anymore after being treated to the feast of improved textures and starspheres.

• The difficulty did put me off later on though, that said I really do admire the hard work and detail that went into the mod, the visuals are jaw dropping, i cant imagine playing vanilla freelancer anymore after being treated to the feast of improved textures and starspheres.

Well, Crossfire 2.0 includes Anti Aliasing, and the actual end of the story :) So it'd be a good idea to stick around until then :D

Anyway, Silver-Gryphon: , are you Black Gryph0n or anyway related to him ?

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Anyway, Silver-Gryphon: , are you Black Gryph0n or anyway related to him ?

nope that's not me, I've only ever played singleplayer crossfire (i did poke my head on the server once and got popped by a liberty rogue). I currently have 4 freelancer directories all modded with different mods, crossfire is one of those so when 2.0 comes out I'll give it a go.

• New 1.2 version released! Focusing on server stability and bug fixes in this release. Also added turret zoom so when in turret view, you can zoom in or out on your ship. Download link updated in the original post. The OSP version has not been updated yet but the multiplayer version obviously has :)