Odd Flashing and Crash

There are 28 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Mates, im not sure if this has happened to anyone before, but more recently on my laptop, which has more RAM and ability to run CF then my desktop (in which runs great) Every once in a while i start seeing green lines flash all over the screen, and displacement of images like of engines and such, then it is suddenly followed by a crash. All help would be appreciated

*hic* Wheres me rum, LP is returning, we will return, and we will fight to the death. Want to join LP, contact us at http://lostprophets.forumup.org/

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

The king and his men stole the queen from her bed
    and bound her in her bones
    The seas be ours and by the powers
    Where we will, we'll roam
    Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high
    heave ho, thieves and beggars,
    never shall we die
    Some men have died and some are alive
    And others sail on the sea
    With the keys to the cage and the Devil to pay
    We lay to Fiddler's Green!

• happens to me also, on my laptop, which is also more powerful than my desktop. on the laptop i am running windows 7 64 bit. on the desktop am running windows 7 32 bit.
    don't really know if there is any connection.

however, my solution was/is to land somewhere, then come out of the game and reboot the laptop and then reconnect. i have no such problems with the desktop.

try it and see if it temporarily resolves the situation. i woulld be interested in hearing about your results.

cheers

Ray OK

• not getting the chance to dock, as soon as the flashing happens 10 seconds later my game crashed

*hic* Wheres me rum, LP is returning, we will return, and we will fight to the death. Want to join LP, contact us at http://lostprophets.forumup.org/

(\__/)

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high
    never shall we die

• If I recall, Freelancer has always had problems working with laptop onboard graphics cards, especially if your video card settings have Vsync enabled by default. Try turning off your vsync in the video card settings.

• Interesting point about Vsync, I never though it can bring such problems.

What I generally saw between games and laptops, is that the "Intel Mobile" integrated graphic cards are not compatible with opengl, has some fails at some directx games, and some more... no matter it had 8 GB ram. Is this the case ?

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Well I figured since I had a similar problem on a laptop while playing TES Skyrim, with vsync turned on the game would blink and flash alot, then crash, but with it off, it worked fine with no crashes. I cant say the same will happen with CF but figured it was worth looking into.

Also if you installed CF with the advanced shaders active, mobile graphics cards hate that and tend to freak out. So maybe disabling that(Not sure if you can disable without reinstall or not) might help.

• Windows 8 x64 bit, Onboard Intel Graphics

(\__/)

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high
    never shall we die

• About laptops, the only piece having cooling on default laptops (with intel mobile cards or other onboard card laptops) is the CPU, the rest is up to burn itself... so the reason it only starts failing once in a while/after a while since starting to play the game, is that it starts to heat up, and in those cases it tends to lose bits and data before arriving at the safe limit of self shutdown due to overheat, or being in danger to burn (if there's some laptop with no self shutdown when overheated), so a crash is actually a good thing in this case.
    It being intel just brings more issues to the list.

About the Train part at SilverFox, dunno, it's not supposed to be more... special than other ships. Try with capital ships too, maybe size (mass, more polys and load, etc) could be the reason.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• i did disable vsync and lowered the graphics in game, helped significantly, i dont need the high amounts of graphics on the laptop, escpecially at the moment, for all i have is a trackpad, and mainly use it to access my GR incase of problems or "cheaters" in the game. thank you everyone this helped a lot.

(\__/)

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high
    never shall we die

• Does it still gives crashes or random color flashes/shapes ?

With everything on minimum, including activating compatibility mode for Graphic Cards of 128Mb or less, no adv shaders and such, it should give no problems.

• i will do that tomorrow michael, as i will probably have to reinstall fresh to do that, thank you again

(\__/)

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high
    never shall we die

• this is what it looks like just before the crash.

(\__/)

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high
    never shall we die

• Yeah that deffinately looks like a video card incompatibality issue. So you might have to reinstall and set everything to their loweest options, and turn on compatability mode.

Also it might not help much in the grand scheme of things, but if you can find updated drivers for your video card, that might also help.

• I've had the exact same problem on my laptop until Scorpion told me how to fix it , in here:
    Graphics Issues[Laptop] - SOLVED

While I had the graphic issue that you see on my thread's pictures , I've had the exact same thing that you're experiencing before my Freelancer crashed as well. So , try the Scorpion's solution and see if it'd work.

• well this thread has certainly been educational.

i am going to give scorpions solution a try for my laptop, and hopefully that will resolve my issues also.

cheers all

Ray OK

• Mine is very different. I have like a flash copy of ship (or parts) to the right or left for about 1/10 a sec.
    I will also try then -dx parameter and report back. Does anyone know what the -dx parameter does ??

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• lol so you needed others to remind you your own solution ?

Anyway, widescreen and directx are supposed to be Enabled by default... I don't know how would other games work properly in another way.