Good PC?

There are 23 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by /V\ichael.

• My pc is getting old, and almost dead.
    This is something i wish to get built. How do you think it is?

System Build - PCPartPicker

For the missing stuff:
    Hard drive and optical blu-ray drive i can get it out from my current PC, as they work fine right now without any problems.
    Keyboard and mouse- Razer Lycosa & Razer Diamondback
    As for windows, i can get windows 7 64 bit.

• drop down to 8 gig ram 1600mhz and for the money you save for that get the Cooler Master CM 690 II advanced case

other than that... sexy build

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• Your PC getting old ? While it perfectly worked with Crysis and all that stuff ? hmmmm

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Not any good, it lacks a soundcard (Realtek ALC889 integrated on that motheboard doesn't count).

• *cough* Forlon remove the title of your post as well :P *cough*

Realtek is a good sound card O.o more or less :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Spiky good point. Michael, i havent played crysis, battlefield or any modern game matter of factly. The only new-ish game i have played is NFS The Run, which gave me 10-15 fps and majorly stuttering sound. :| Would i be able to use my old soundcard from my current PC Cresthen?
    My current PC is around 1/3 my age. It quite recently went for repair and the repair guy said that the processor and graphics card got spoiled due to overheating because of doing things that were too demanding. The 9500GT that is currently installed on it sounds like a lawn mower when rendering a model in vray. I was originally planning to install a GTX 460 on it, but the performance to power consumption ratio was much better with the GTX 680 with its Kepler architecture. I thought to supplement it, why not just build a new PC from the ground up which will at least last me till i get to college instead of buying some HP DreamScrene shit for the same price.

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• *doublefacepalm* ... sry, using phone sometimes bring surprises as posting reply instead sending PM :(

And ooo ... I want have too new PC like this :)

• huh? not good? need sound card? wat?

why would you waste money on an additional sound card... like Miche said Realtek is more than fine

the build is perfect as it is although afaik the i5-3570k is in regards to price/quality worth more an investement than the i5-2500k atm

you might want to read this i5-2500k or i5-3570k? : buildapc

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• That Realtek is not even a sound card, just a codec. Yes the sound quality is quite acceptable, but it is software-driven, which results in poor processing quality (if any) and performance lags like missing sounds or clipping. Not mentioning the absence of 3D positioning, EAX effects, facilities like equalizer, bass boost, volume normalization... It also doesn't have a headphone op-amp, which results in low volume, bass attenuation and lack of fidelity in your headphones.

Would i be able to use my old soundcard from my current PC Cresthen?

Which one?

• I have never seen someone suggesting to get a seperate sound card -- at least in the one year I spent on that subreddit never has ONE person ever listed a sound card nor was it ever suggested by someone else nor have I ever seen someone recommending it.

It just seems like a waste of money to me for something that is optional and absolutely not required -- if anything you should spend money on a decent headset.

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• Vishnu: It has their software realization which sounds pathetic and loads your CPU (not a problem in your case though).

If you like playing without sound, or with our own music instead, then integrated audio is fine.

If you have good headphones / speaker system and like to sink into the game's atmosphere, a gaming sound card is strongly recommended. Hardware 3D positioning will feel much more natural, the number of voices played at a time will rise (so sounds won't be missing or clipping), EAX will sound more realistic, things like equalizer/bass boost won't introduce distortion to the signal in high frequencies, and headphones will finally be able to show their best, connected to a proper source.

Hardware sound vs software sound:

[expander=Doom 3][video]

[/video]
    [video]
    [/video][/expander]
    [expander=TES IV Oblivion][video]
    [/video]
    [video]
    [/video][/expander]

Spiky-: just the opposite for me, I left the integrated sound long ago and will never get back to it.

P.S. Some explanations on these video examples:

• Doom 3 - this game is completely bound with EAX and hardware sound acceleration, that's why the difference is so obvious when one tries to play it with software sound (provided by X-Fi Xtreme Audio in this case, already better than integrated); such comparison is not fully fair as the conditions for sound cards are not equal, but one can see his benefits in the games which offer hardware-based features;

• Oblivion, on the opposite, has its own fully software engine which works the same way on any device as it simply doesn't know what EAX and stuff is; hovewer, hardware mixing and sound positioning brings the difference even here - you can clearly hear it in how characters' voices and magic spells' effects sound. In action and FPS games, this difference will be even greater.

To sum up, all games benefit from a sound card; having one you can be sure it will sound either nearly the same (I mean neglectable for cheap consumer desktop speakers) or a lot better. Also, you won't be concerned whether your sound card supports all game's features or not - they will get activated by the game itself when it recognizes your sound device. Some games' experience may really change after that.

I personally like playing Crossfire with forced custom-set reverberation applied to all sounds - it creates an atmopsheric feeling of space, makes all effects like weapon shots or engine sounds fade out gradually (and not just break suddenly when you stop shooting/flying), adds realism to explosions, NPCs comlink speech and announcer's voice ("go to", "dock" etc.). That's truly optional and like Spiky said it would be just a waste of money for people who don't need this feature... This and many more you can have and do almost everything with your sound in real-time.

Edited 3 times, last by Cresthen: postscriptum ().

• I never left integrated graphic card :D j/k.

I don't rlly see how a 128kb or 320kb (the highest used) are processed better in a card or another, except if a card has a capacity limitation like to 32kb or non 3d sorround processing, they are still the same "data" to process. Now, the transform from data to sound is another thing.

But yeah, sound card is a good add-on if you already have everything else solved.

• @/V\ichael: sound in games is much more that just file playback. The game calculates the distance and direction to every source and its environment, and sends these data to your sound driver which processes and plays it accordingly. At least this is what most sound APIs (DirectSound, OpenAL as most popular examples) do. See it the same as 3D graphics APIs, which don't just show you combinations of pictures, do they? :verrueckt:

P.S. 320 Kbps is not the highest bitrate in games, some use even lossless and multichannel formats.

P.P.S. Vishnu: I apologize for going into an off-topic discussion, let's get back to your PC. :S My words are just a recommendation, I don't insist on anything. It's all up to you whether to spend or not on a soundcard. You will be able to play games anyway, but a fully capable gaming soundcard will cost around $100.

Edited 3 times, last by Cresthen: P.P.S. for Vishnu ().

• I either use a pair of 30mm bass skullcandy headphones or bose. I guess if my current PC does indeed have a sound card, i could pluck it out and install it on what i plan to get built.

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• idk specifics, but it is a realtek HD Sound Card

Hehe, good luck to you in plugging out an integrated sound card :verrueckt: Especially considering that your new motherboard offers just the same. :)

• lol
    By what I've seen those integrated sound cards are more like, part of the motherboard itself, no way to separate it from the rest.
    And, no way a different generation integrated sound card will get transferred to the newer motherboard.

• As I don't edit posts from a different day than the current one (1 day old)... I make a new post.

Vishnu: Yesterday I read an article on Yahoo about not buying PCs now as the Ivy Bridge was about to come, for Intel and AMD, so not only that you would have something more powerful to buy, but everything else gets cheaper as well.

So waiting a bit more could help, to get this setup cheaper, or to get a better setup... it's up to you afterall :D Just telling.