Post your favourite demos!

There are 20 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by denne.

Within the computer subculture known as the demoscene, a non-interactive multimedia presentation is called a demo (or demonstration). Demogroups create demos to demonstrate their abilities in programming, music, drawing, and 3D modeling. The key difference between a classical animation and a demo is that the display of a demo is computed in real time, making computing power considerations the biggest challenge. Demos are mostly composed of 3D animations mixed with 2D effects and full screen effects.

The boot block demos of the 1980s, demos that were created to fit within the small (generally 512 to 4096 bytes) first block of the floppy disk that was to be loaded into RAM,[1] were typically created so that software crackers could boast of their accomplishment prior to the loading of the game. What began as a type of electronic graffiti on cracked software became an art form unto itself. The demoscene both produced and inspired many techniques used by video games and 3D rendering applications today - for instance, light bloom, among others.

Demo (computer programming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Demos are the things that happen when people who are interested in computer sit down together and make something fun and spectacular and challenging to program. They work on it until it becomes a final work of art, then they pack up their sleeping bags and travel to a demoparty where they enter it to a competition. That's pretty much the gist of it.

pouët.net :: your online demoscene resource

"Aeon5" by farbrausch:

download link (16,2 MB)
    youtube link - no comparison with the original :thumbdown:
    [url='http://www.archive.org/details/Fr-072Aeon5']another video and related downloads

• I don't see the "happiness" at the bendings of that video...

actually it's pure madness, pretty epic but madness !!! I watched until minute 5...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Thanks for the comment.
    The name does not really matter, one just needs to download the application, launch it and admire the amazing things his GPU can produce being programmed with a creative approach.
    The fact of your mentioning the exact time means that you were waching a video recording instead of the demo itself... :( This is a bad experience as no video (especially of such poor compression quality as used by Youtube) can fully reproduce the original shapes and colours without distortion.

• I see that better in a video than on my GPU... at least on this table PC. On the portable it could work better.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• [box=black]A short but scary one made in 2006, should work on every PC.
    Watching with a good sound system or headphones is strongly recommended.[/box]

[box=red]"heArt" by Lords of Liquor:[/box]

[box=green]download link[/box]

[box=purple]youtube link[/box]
    Use it only if you can't run the demo on your PC!

Edited once, last by Cresthen: colour corection ().

• Thread resurrection with 3 really great demos! \o/
    (download & youtube preview links are available on Pouët page near 's on the right)

Onwards by Traction :: pouët.net

Neuron by TBC & Loonies :: pouët.net

The butterfly effect by Andromeda Software Development :: pouët.net

- Wanderer -

• A good one from Function 2014
    (download & youtube preview links are available on Pouët page near 's on the right)

Blazar by Digital Dynamite :: pouët.net

I wonder if anyone checks what I'm posting here...

- Wanderer -

Demo (computer programming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[extrabox]
    Demo (computer programming)
    Within the computer subculture known as the demoscene, a non-interactive multimedia presentation is called a demo (or demonstration). Demogroups create demos to demonstrate their abilities in programming, music, drawing, and 3D modeling. The key difference between a classical animation and a demo is that the display of a demo is computed in real time, making computing power considerations the biggest challenge. Demos are mostly composed of 3D animations mixed with 2D effects and full screen effects.[/extrabox]

[extrabox]
    [/extrabox]

[extrabox]The boot block demos of the 1980s, demos that were created to fit
    within the small (generally 512 to 4096 bytes) first block of the floppy disk that was to be loaded into RAM,[1] were typically created so that software crackers could boast of their accomplishment prior to the loading of the game. What began as a type of electronic graffiti on cracked software became an art form unto itself. The demoscene both produced and inspired many techniques used by video games and 3D rendering applications today - for instance, light bloom, among others.
    [/extrabox]

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

Edited once, last by (IOC)Wanderer ().

• Nice :) I hope this means people also checked out the demos.
    But strange, no one commented yet...

Anyway, here you have another two!

Colored Glass :: pouët.net

Artifacts by illogictree :: pouët.net

+ an alternative explanation by pouet.net:

What's a demo ?

That's a question akin to "where do babies come from" in that many have tried and failed explaining it without making it sound absolutely ridiculous.

Demos are the things that happen when people who are interested in computer sit down together and make something fun and spectacular and challenging to program. They work on it until it becomes a final work of art, then they pack up their sleeping bags and travel to a demoparty where they enter it to a competition. That's pretty much the gist of it.

- Wanderer -

• Like the "Artifacts"

(perhaps better to link their youTube appearance here, to show its beauty "straight" ;)
    on pouet.net this button is rather small )

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• Not sure about that... You won't see even half of the beauty on these over-compressed youtube videos.
    A "real" demo is when you download and run the executable on your PC - then you can see it in 32-bit colours, 60 FPS, and in your native screen resolution.

I refer to Pouet pages because they have more info + download links + youtube links (for preview only!) all at the same time.
    And screenshots under the links are supposed to give some initial positive impression ;)

- Wanderer -

Not sure about that... You won't see even half of the beauty on these over-compressed youtube videos.

^^
    You're definitly right on that and to witness it in all its beauty is just :bfantasydreams:
    However, the "quick visitor" will see only your posted pic here
    and a very small preview pic on poet.net.
    (You know the "laziness" of our times younger folk ^^ )

Perhaps better to keep the structure CRESTHEN ;) has used in its introducing post
    with a dl link as well as an youTube link ?

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• You're welcome!

@NucNuc: hmm maybe this Cresthen guy was right about something, even though his choice of "best" demos was beyond any criticism... :thumbdown:
    For most demos there are multiple downloads and some may get broken, so instead of providing direct links I will add explanations on where to find the "Download" button.
    Okay? :)

- Wanderer -