About balancing RP on the server

There are 33 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• of course, ALL my suggestions relating to MERCS imply a CONTRACT...otherwise they wouldn't be MERCS in the first place...

@ Az

That's exactly how I feel too.

@ Gunny

So then I am to understand that you liked my suggestion about police granting some smugglers the privilege of dealing in BMG under the obligation of fulfilling some conditions and the payment of a %(i.e. 30% as VAT^^) of the goods (which would be determined by the cops)...I am saying this because otherwize we'd just be mixing the smuggler rp with the others again (like it is now with every RP there is out there). Also, for the time being mercs (because they are in high numbers) can help the police by the aforementioned actions or more (I'm just saying: give the mercs more options so that your needs are satisfied but be careful to not give to much authority because you -Pirate and Police- are the main "users of force"). So here are 2 solutions to your 2 problems.

@Abras
    Neutrality of mercs and smugglers should be an option not an obligation. Nobody would be in the position to "forbid" merc clans to have alliances but for instance if a merc clan has an understanding with a pirate clan, it would never gain an alliance with a police one (as the natural order of things).

merc is allied with cop >> cop gets attacked >> merc attacks the attacker from the cop (therefor does his job) >> attacker does NOT have any reasons to complain about anything.

normally, the attacker should have the right to either attack the merc or not. This could lead to reputation loss in there was 24/7 RP. Which would be very good because as things are now and we've seen it in countless examples, there's alot of mixing RP with RL. 24/7 RP would take the RL out of it entirely, as Az suggested. I think that it would be a great thing for the server but it would still need some tweaks so that RL abuse would not be disguised in RP.

Again, I am not talking here about rules or stuff like that, only general guidelines, informal behavior, etc.

Voila, in view a humble vaudevillian veteran...cast vicariously as both victim and villain, by the vicissitudes of fate...

Edited once, last by StephanoV ().

there's alot of mixing RP with RL. 24/7 RP would take the RL out of it entirely, as Az suggested. I think that it would be a great thing for the server but it would still need some tweaks so that RL abuse would not be disguised in RP.

Maybe an all-clan-wide agreement of stating RP intentions and contracts before engaging in combat would help to bring RP and RP only interactions? It doesn't take long to type in "-name-, arrested for smuggling, fine 2M" or "-name-, contract, def" and it would clear many situations.

Second thing are personal (with hidden employer) contracts which are quite dangerous, because they have the potential to be an excuse or a basis for accusations of OORP assaults. I would argue that personal contracts are prohibitted by merc clans inner charters just to get things straight.

• @ Verbose

Yes, or even more simple...make RP the "rule" and if non-RP interactions "the exception" and place "orp" (out of rp) or "ooc" (out of character) before the message so that people can know when you are out of rp.

Voila, in view a humble vaudevillian veteran...cast vicariously as both victim and villain, by the vicissitudes of fate...

• StephanoV - not the best idea, as people, who want to harass others OORP do not want to admit, that they are actually doing it OORP. if they had to state RP intention, it would be obvious that if they don't, they are going OORP.

• Crap - I typed something and it timed out - so let me be quicker this time

First - my ignorance - I don't know what has been going on (good or bad)
    Secondly - server seems healthy - very active - new things - more new things to look forward to
    Third - I am flying a pink eagle - first new ship i can afford so far

1. Have fun - don't spoil fun for others
    2. Best RP is where all participants have a choice (whether to engage or not)
    3. Chase sometimes better than the kill

4. Had a little chat with some old folks, Inferno and Marauder, and I have to admit that was fun and very nice - like talking to some old friends you not seen for years - So glad you guys have done a good job keeping the universe ticking along- Thanks for that

• Yes, mercs won't get any contracts from police atm (maybe except UR when they have money), 1 for leak of money of no lawful trades, 2 there are no cops left (excepting UR whic are kinda... Rebels yet under police license), SA is out, CFPD down, BG out/down (unless somebody sees Spiky arround, or maybe Husker), DC out(after Crysis's crysis), MN out, who's left ?

As well Pirates have no targets... I don't know of any trader or smuggler corp, do you ? Without police online, and mercs 'untouchable' out of contracts.... there you go, enjoy... chasing freelancers in Starflier and Titans as they are the ones who keep the server populated, or make contracts to be killed yourself to have some PvP... your creation.
    The recruiting topic is out of RP one so I keep it for myself for now.

In CF 1.9 the Mod's things will go stable and solve, or most, but not the players: Think better before you do something that will affect somebody else than yourself... which includes the text you type.

This partly agrees with AbrasDevil, and the rest who seen issues at this balance option at the "possible problems" in RP as told on the first line.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited once, last by Michael ().

• On the subject of private contracts, I dont see a problem with em as long as I say to my target "I have a contract on you, prepare to be space dust". That clearly states my intentions so there's no confusion & that makes it known that I'm acting within RP.

• StephanoV: Well of course SBC ( Sirius Bucks Coffee) always accepts donations to feed the needy around the galaxy, but I don't see why BMG routes can't be controlled for the state to make additional funds in order to combat crime ^^ Now being a mafioso.....I mean honest cop, does have it's priviledges.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Yes, the solution to this problem is not giving more power to mercs, to make their own RP, they are still guns to hire, not even smugglers unless on contract.
    It's the other RPs which need the support... or at least to play in peace without out-of-RP 'pressure'.

SBC back on duty for now ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• We have the freedom to do more interesting life in the CF ... just need to find a compromise. It will always be win-win or lose-lose... I do not suspect the quality of players on the server.

• On this subject, I think it would be great if people had to have affiliation to the faction of their RP i.e. Pirates affiliated to Outcast/Corsair etc.. Police to Police, Mercs to Bounty Hunters, Freelancers to Zoners, then, not only do they interact with other players, but NPC's as well.

FD

On this subject, I think it would be great if people had to have affiliation to the faction of their RP i.e. Pirates affiliated to Outcast/Corsair etc.. Police to Police, Mercs to Bounty Hunters, Freelancers to Zoners, then, not only do they interact with other players, but NPC's as well.

FD

Disco ----------------------------------------------->
    :D

• Real rebalance has to get fixed... and we're planning on it.

Barely on topic: Yet I wonder who plays here with Post Trophies... I get em, they get deleted, I get more to get taken out lol...(and same to some others, but on me you know I can't add em to myself, neither to delete em), so whoever has fun with taking em out cus he disagrees, it's not on your choice to take out, that button just comes with your pack.