Screen Capture Software

There are 22 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• I'm planning on trying to make a new promotional vid for 1.81, and I need some help. I need suggestions for some good screen capture software that won't bog down my system while I'm recording, or produce files of obscene sizes. Oh, and it has to be freeware. I'm currently searching Google and around the internet, but I thought I would post here in case anyone knew a program that I might not be able to find through online search engines.

And yes, I know that I'll have to reinstall the mod with the "screen capture" option turned on in order for this to work, which is what I'll most likely be doing for the next hour or so, besides looking for some software.

Crossfire Characters:
    (IOC){Dark_Angel} and any derivatives thereof.

• actually every screencapture tool creates large files
    but those can be compressed later

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• True. I suppose I could just use VirtualDub to compress the files, so long as they're recorded in .avi format.

Crossfire Characters:

• Bad news, guys. I won't be able to make a movie for the server, because I can't get the game to disaply in widescreen. I've followed the tutorials I've found through Google, and the results have been mixed. I've only gotten the widescreen mode to completely work one time. My graphics card drivers are the problem, but reinstalling them and the card haven't helped. The resolution I was trying to record at was 1280x720, the starting point for HD resolutions. I don't think it helps that I play on a 4:3 format screen, but I thought that it would still work regardless.

Sorry to let ya down OP, looks like I'll have to sit this one out. :cursing:

Crossfire Characters:

• why has it to be widescreen?
    vids normally or not widescreen

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• What card you have.... there's a FAQ in THIS forum with that issue solved, and also on Moddb too...

And if nothing works, just record it at the max quality FL accepts... you can't upload a video with more quality than that anyway ! :P Cus youtube usually keeps it at it's limits.. 720, 480... no need to gwet to 1080

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I wanted it to be in HD, because nowadays it seems that people are more impressed with the 16:9 format than the standard 4:3 format. But now that I think about it, a 4:3 format would most likely be better for showing the bases and other stationary objects, as well as some of the fight sequences that I had thought up for the vid.

And the graphics card I'm using is an ATI Radeon HD 3850. But it's a moot point, because I don't have the resources to work on the vid anyways. Every screen capture program that I found through Google sucks (it either lags or doesn't capture the entire screen) and I haven't found a suitable program to put the final video clips together, though I suppose that Windows Movie Maker would work since I found a good freeware special FX program called Jahshaka, but I don't fully understand how to use it yet, and it crashes quite often. The only screen capture software that I've found to work without lagging while being able to capture the entire screen is Fraps, and I don't have the money to purchase it. I'm almost positive that my dad won't purchase the software for me for this project, so I'm SOL at this point.

Crossfire Characters:

• You register Fraps with an account, want mine ? As Fraps really captures the entire screen and everything perfectly :D

And I also told about the offer to record everithing without the tabels menus and stuff you have on the screen when you play... with some edited files. If you need it.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• You register Fraps with an account, want mine ? As Fraps really captures the entire screen and everything perfectly :D

And I also told about the offer to record everithing without the tabels menus and stuff you have on the screen when you play... with some edited files. If you need it.

Sure, I'll take the Fraps account. And yes, those files would be helpful. Now if I could only find a mod that makes your ship invisible...but I suppose I could just use the cockpit view and disable the cockpit instead.

Crossfire Characters:

• There are ships with nothing in cockpit view (the new Coalition ships, sold in new Altair systems).

Also if you wish to have the capability of using Turret View, on an invisible ship, is also possible...

I have prepared ideas, which solve any issue, but I didn't had enough PC capability to make the videos and the sound work right... dunno what issue is that it doesn't record a good sound...

Any changes can be ok for this project while they are in SinglePlayer... imo
    You got a PM.

• One of my ideas was to have a fight sequence play out throughout the vid (which I would imagine to be about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes long) but I'm not sure how I'd accomplish this. It would have to be on the multiplayer server of course, but I don't know how I would be able to get rid of the console messages and messages from other players as well so they wouldn't interrupt/ruin the filming process.

I added you on Yahoo messenger, btw. And my PC is capable of recording at a constant 60fps with full size resolution and maximum quality settings. I'm going to give the widescreen another go so that my GPU has less real estate to render during the recording process, and the widescreen format will be better for showing the systems off (at least it will for the shots that I have planned). I did find a rectification for my GPU drivers not letting me use a 1280x720 resolution with the bars on top and bottom, so that's another plus.

Crossfire Characters:

• signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Ok, after a right and large msn conenction... everything about the mod's side is solved and ready for the video, all full softwares, own ships invisibility, cursors, tabels, npcs... large turret view , etc :D

This can be like a movie !! :bscared::TStark

• Well my original plan after the Yahoo conversation was to save the entire conversation so that I would have your instructions handy should I need them later, but I forgot to save the conversation. I still have all of the files and everything, I just forgot where to put them and what to replace. So if you could remind me, that would be great.

Crossfire Characters:

Yahoo saves every conversaton, I have everything here without having to save it manually ^^ Will copy and paste it in a message :P

• I got the PM, but it doesn't show the files that were transferred, only the locations that you told me to put them. So I still don't know exactly which files go where. I could guess, but I'd rather not do that.

And how do you access the conversations on Yahoo Messenger if they are saved automatically?

Crossfire Characters:

• Double click on my name like as you were going to say something to me, then press F3 ad you'll see the latest messages( you can see it says to press F3 for previous stuff), and after that press "Entire Arcive" or sth like that, which will get you to where is everything with everyone... you can also get tehre from "View" menu on the main yahoo thing... but well.

You can see teh locations in that repot, now, go to each of them and see what files are there, then you'll know which one to replace... as it'll have the same name. And remember to copy everything heh.

• I followed your instructions and looked at the preferences for the archiving function, and it was set to the default "Save my messages until I log out" option. So the entire conversation isn't in the message archive, which I found earlier and it was empty. :(

Crossfire Characters: