CrossFire online Database

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• I recently emailed the guy who owns the on-line Crossfire database about helping update it to include 1.8 maps and info. but I found out from him that he is no longer continuing the update and will not be coming back to Crossfire.

He did tell me if Myself or anyone I knew with a bit of programming under there belt could take over the site and make it our own to do with as we pleased.

I would like to learn some Php/js code and do it all myself but I don't think I am the right person for the job of coding/writing the database, I do have ideas for an updated on-line database for 1.8 (like a story/quest section you can go to for help with the clues)

I have realised this database is used by a whole bunch of people who play CF but I still come across a lot who obviously have not heard of it...

I think it is a very helpful tool for those who have already explored pretty much everything or have made new accounts and still need a map reference for travelling around the systems...

It will always exist as a bit of a spoiler for people new to the game but I think the mod has always presented new surprises whenever I visit a new system for the first time, even if I found my way there via the database.

I would like to hear peoples views on whether this database should exist as it is, or be fully updated (perhaps by one of our own community members or a friend you know with programming skills) and I am sure there might be people who may not like the database and think of it as a huge spoiler to a game based on exploration of the unknown... :)

Link to site:

Clan: ~TR~ "The Runners" Characters: [CYBORG] [Nostromo] Allied Clan: -=UG=- "United Guardians"

"See ya space cowboy!"

Edited 2 times, last by Destroying Angel ().

• Hi,
    I know this database. It is best made DB for CF 1.7 I found. I am only not sure, if it is so good idea to share this so publicly. ..Can you pls give link to spoilers tag?

Text from this DB is clear:

And one more thing. .... also for older players or new in CF is fun alone discover new things in 1.8. ...with fully updated this DB it disappears :(:thumbdown:

• Well a good idea I had for the Database was putting a password on it... one given to you by an Admin...

Clan: ~TR~ "The Runners" Characters: [CYBORG] [Nostromo] Allied Clan: -=UG=- "United Guardians"

"See ya space cowboy!"

• fantastic idea
    guess what... CF1.7 had an official database (not the one you found) and only players which already have found the password (ingame) were able to join it

I clearly dislike the existence of public CF databases as they were created against my explicit wish and without thinking about the consequences for the server and its players. From day one that ive released CF1.7 and the release of the official (protected) CF-Database it was clear that the idea behind CF was to have a background database that only experienced players should have access to.

Now that public databases exist players cheat their way through the Crossfire universe instead of playing the mod. That is inacceptable.
    Putting aside that this cfdb site has some nice features you can easily see from the reactions that an official (non-public) DB is prefered.

If just half of the energy that has been used to be build these in-official databases to build an official one... or better to say to improve and extend the official one we wouldnt have a community that got split over x sites

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Seems own people have their own DB made by themselves for themselves or their experienced members of their clans... (SA+UR, CFPD, PX...) still most of them are incomplete... they are only made for reasons of safety of the information they discover themselves ( safe from rollbacks, lost chars, etc), think the ones who just spoiled info on public DBs already spoiled themselves out of CF.

The only dangers are that the passwords get spread arround the server(unless only SWAT portal members get access from OP to a section, without password), and that the experienced players themselves lose their interest in the game.

If just half of the energy that has been used to be build these in-official databases to build an official one... or better to say to improve and extend the official one we wouldnt have a community that got split over x sites

But atm, what you'd want us to do about the official DB ? ( People were also thinking that you already know it all of the mod and have it mapped, enough for a DB, just that you don't want to publish it, was stopping anyone of thinking to help build an official DB. )

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• atm i dont want you to do anything... as you have enough to do with the other staff jobs already

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Not 'me' players in general...

And by simply adding the system maps from my... um CFPD's DB all the systems, alien stations, wrecks and routes would be solved out, also all the weaponry and equipment (old and new). All that already available since the second week the 1.8 was released.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Available are also some advanced system maps and stations pictures with descriptions.

• dunno yet
    there are too many open questions and concerns to say anything about it

i dont even want to make a decision about anything before i know what is possible and what ppl want

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,