Crashes on main menu

There are 15 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Well a friend and I decided to check this mod out after not playing Freelancer in a good long time, installed, patched, got the mod and FLMM 1.31, installed all that and activated but when I or he launches the game after we esc past the usual promo vids we crash on the Freelancer load screen before the main menu, no errors or anything just BAM! hello desktop.

I deactivated the mod and ran the game, everything went normally, got to the main menu and even started a SP game to make sure, the mod just won't launch at all.

*EDIT*
    Actually, now that I remember we were having issues activating the mod on 1.31, so we got the 1.4 beta and it was able to activate then, whenever I at least tried to activate in 1.31 FLMM would stop responding shortly after I clicked to activate.

• No no, FLMM 1.31 is the compatible one with the mod, the 1.4 is for small mods :D THe problem you're having looks typical for the cases where you haven't deleted past savegames and "restart", "autosave" files from savegames, just delete the Freelancer folders in "My Games" in "My Documents" so you get ridd of them. Then it should work :)

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• FLMM 1.31 is recommented to use since FLMM1.4 is extremly buggy
    version 1.31 does not stop to load the mod even if the window is not responding... if you would just wait you will see that it finishes the activation

the menu crash you experience has nothing to do with the activation at all
    you just have not removed your old savegames which are incompatible with the mod

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Well, I went back and reinstalled 1.3, the activation takes forever and though it says it's not responding it DOES eventually go through but...still when I try to launch I get sent back to my desktop after the videos every time....any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
    I know the game works with other mods such as Discovery activate and play with no problems.

^^Response to the poster above^^
    The thing is I don't have any saved games as I haven't even really played SP at all.

• i already said to delete the savegames (that is the only possible reason for such a crash)

EDIT:

^^Response to the poster above^^
    The thing is I don't have any saved games as I haven't even really played SP at all.

wrong - you have a savegame

Freelancer does create a savegame file right at the first time it gets started and every time FL does not find old savegames to initiate the SP gameworld (which is already active on the FL main menu, even if you did not click on the singleplayer button yet)

I know more about FL and how it works than anybody else so stop discussing, go to the savegame folder and delete the restart.fl savegame.

Done? ok and now have fun playing my mod

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Ugh, well...there no longer exists a saved game file in the documents area but if there is another one I do not know of I still can't get past the videos, so very frustrating. :(
    I even removed the files from the mods I had just to be sure but still nothing...ugh, such a headache this is.

• Try rename the entire folder of "My Documents" just to test if it's from the automatic saves the game does when you install it, or maybe something rare. But all Freelancer saves the stuff at My Documents > My Games > Freelancer...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Well, after waking up and eating some breakfast I gave it another shot, reinstalled everything, nuked the restart file and activated, still crashes after vids, I guess I'm not allowed to even see the main menu, thanks for the help, poster above me, ya I tried renaming my My Documents, changed it to test but to no avail.

• any hardware/firmware/software problems. I mean is your graphic card driver up to date? Your sound driver as well? Did you tried to install some codecs... Dunno there must be something that is not available.
    Could you please have a look to the event report viewer of your windows (control panel -> system management -> event viewer -> events...(or similar named)) and look there for errors with a red white crossed icon.

signature.png

• It's pretty impossible that for a very low card the game menu doesn't load for this game, there may be some settings that are deactivated as Huor said.

• nice ^^

But there is, when you edit your post to delete it, there's a button on the upper side which appear above of where you type.