iTunes and the future of music...

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• iTunes

Today I want to talk about iTunes –

Before we start though – I want to take you back to the late 70s and early 80s where disco and electronic music was at its peak and those good old boys and girls in the Bollywood film industry decided to – cough – “borrow” some of the western hits for their films.There are Bollywood versions of Jeff Waynes “War of the Worlds” and even “Video killed the Radio Star” by Buggles – and many more – wow!

Imagine a young and handsome (and slim) future reporter and owner of the Daed Tea Trading Company shaking his thing and jiving to hip pop music – tra la la – yeah baby!

Ok – so roll on to 2010 and some fat old geezer is reminiscing over the good old days (me) and thinks to himself – can I recapture my youth?So – my question – related to iTunes and its store –

Is there anywhere else in this world why someone like me can find those songs going back to the 70s that I could not even name – or even state the singer?Well I found them on iTunes and within seconds was hearing them again after nearly 30 years.

So iTunes is great – for its massive huge library of music – where else could I find and safely download some obscure tunes from a country half a world away from 30 years ago?

Apparently Apple owns a gigantic proportion of the online music download market (legal).So – what about DRM, MP4 and AAC tracks that can’t be converted and played on normal MP3 players?

What about the recent legislation in the UK by a dying government on its last legs passing a new Bill that can force ISPs to reduce or cut off any customers that download files from file sharing websites?

Why is it that when you purchase some music you sort of only rent it out to play on that medium only and transferring it to another medium is illegal?

Any thoughts about iTunes and digital music?

NB I do not have a iPoD, iPhone or any of its iterations and have never even touched one!

• everytime he makes such a post and i read the opening words i feel like being back at school

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Well, I still prefer to have an actual CD or such.....hmm, come to think about it I have several vinyl albums, casette tapes and such as well. I guess the best thing is that I have no 8-tracks :D

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• I still have a bunch of vinyl albums - loads of cassetts and also lots of CDs.

But - there is something to be said for having your entire music collection on a little memory stick.

MP3 have become so usefull as their relative size is so small comapared to other formats - I wonder are there anyone here that can hear the actual differenece between that and lossless formats?

Would be interesting to see how the future of digital music develops..

• I still have a bunch of vinyl albums - loads of cassetts and also lots of CDs.

But - there is something to be said for having your entire music collection on a little memory stick.

MP3 have become so usefull as their relative size is so small comapared to other formats - I wonder are there anyone here that can hear the actual differenece between that and lossless formats?

Would be interesting to see how the future of digital music develops..

• lossless is relative
    listen to the "its my time to fly" music that comes with CF1.7 and then listen to the CF1.8 version of it
    you will notice the difference

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!