Disappearing Freelancer EXE

There are 25 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• 1. good idea michael
    2. Avast is now quarantine the freelancer.exe as Malware too (just to say it)

Click the image above to visit us.

• Boy this AV topic comes up a lot and still no solution.

I was told by my AV tech that online gaming has a self monitoring itegrity check which is found in many launchers, so the heuristic signature triggers a trojan alert. He thinks that this is the main problem and it's up to the game developers to rectify this.

I told him I would like them to check out CF FL exe file, but I can't submit it cause I don't have copyright to the CF Update Exe, so they can't even try to help us. I also told him that this issue does involve them because it is their AV program that keeps quarantining our game exe, and this is a false positive. I told him that players will eventually find an AV program that works and this could be a huge loss for their product. His response was, "Is their anything else I can help with?"...my response, "What can I say to you that your mirror hasn't said already, JERK."

On idea might be to rewrite the game launcher code to smooth out the false positive trigger, which more and more AV programs seem to find now.

Anyways, I would also like to know if the monthly malicious software removal tool used by Microsoft, everytime we update windows, might have an effect on our CF FL exe file?

Thank OP for giving us those bastard hostile IC aliens to take our frustration out on. X(

• Thank OP for giving us those bastard hostile IC aliens to take our frustration out on. X(

haha, cool, so you finally can kill them now ? ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Well if you suspect AV developer would change their policy then you assume wrong. And if you talk in this way to one of their employees than you wont get proper support anyway.

Then there have to be a few things cleared:
    Its not the code of the launcher that causes this misbehaviour so rewriting wouldn't solve the problem. The security system that is at place and working causes this issue - its not the code of the launcher or the CF.exe itself - its what is behind the scene. Getting rid of the AV problem would mean to loose the security measure and probably make it for hackers and cheaters, and rippers and what not for pirates easier to get what they want to get. It wont be removed so easily.
    I never had any detection of windows malware remover yet. So i don't expect that this would happen.

Be assured that we will work on the AV problem once OP has again time and mood to mod and we are finished with the higher prioritized projects. That have been the words of OP for several weeks.
    Until then you have to live with this AV issue - all CF veterans have done this since now more than 3 or 4 years.

signature.png

• as huor said... its not the launcher which causes the probs
    its a security mechanism that protects the launcher and all other parts of the mod

removing that security mechanism would:
    - open a BIG door for cheaters
    - remove copy protection
    - destabilize the server even more
    - allow 3rd party tools to hook with CF

rewriting that security mechanism is a problem as i know no other method yet how to ensure protection
    and adjusting the security mechanism to use different signatures is also pretty hard as the developer of this protection is not available anymore aswell as i have no source code

the list of problems regarding this issue is long and it requires MUCH time and alot of help to find a better solution

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I liked the idea I saw at the Demo of Mass Effect 2 download posted on this forum... it automaticly adds MassEffect.exe and another .exe file as exception for the Firewall(including windows firewall and other protection...) end of problem.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis