Crossfire 1.8 Feedback

There are 149 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon (SA_Forlon).

• nope it can not get activated that way
    the sp is working aswell as the mp start

and i indeed if included hundreds of new wrecks to the mod

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Originally posted by Centaurian
    The ship navigation voice in Hiruga is a bit redundant, but logical, since it is triggered within a 4-5k radius of any jumphole. Since Hiruga has so many, it may become a bit of an annoyance for the residents of that system, but it also lends itself to some additional bewilderment for fisrt-time explorers of the system. I'm not sure OP can deactivate that feature in a single system... ?(

I do not mean it says it for a few times when you come close to a group of jh. I mean when you come close to any jh even the few isolated ones it keep saying it non stop. With no time between the end of a warning and the begining of an other. Chugoku has a few jh similarely close by and it doesn't do it there.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• ill take a look at it

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• OP, here's the most important things I think you should fix :
    -add in the Activation Menu so that we can choose (for Open SP) the money to start with (just like in CF 1.7). A reputation choice would also be lovely : Default, Neutral to all, Friendly to all, Hostile to all (like in Discovery 4.85).
    -perhaps you can add some descriptions for video settings... we're not entirely sure of some's (lol word fail) effects... at all ^^.
    -that HUD/menu look/cursors preview I told you about on the other topic (...Release). It would really be handy. For example, I choosed New Cursor Set 2 I guess (the one that looks like... on Freespace if I'm correct) AND -> it's IMPOSSIBLE to see the cursor when in Arena ^^ . Btw, that freaking shining yellow is just too shiny.

• 1. will not happen - OpenSP will remain like it is
    2. use the search function of this forum... there are descriptions
    3. such stuff will get posted to the crossfire site... when i have more time and less important things to do

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• That was not a demand. It was just a suggestion ^^.

P.S: I really think you should add that to OpenSP. It's your decision, ultimately, but I'm telling you, OpenSP should have ~1 billion credits :P .

Originally posted by Radu4Moto
    That was not a demand. It was just a suggestion ^^.

P.S: I really think you should add that to OpenSP. It's your decision, ultimately, but I'm telling you, OpenSP should have ~1 billion credits :P .

What's the point in having so much starting money in SP ? and be friendly with everyone ? What, you want a navigable database to search for every new stuff without getting into trouble ? I doubt OP will offer you all CF1.8 secrets so easily, you'll have to face danger to explore my friend. Even if it is SP or MP.

And besides it's always more fun to rush sometimes, otherwise you get bored pretty quick !

EDIT : Hey OP, i read somewhere that laptops should use the compatibility mode. so I reinstalled and it works fine. I couldn't explore further yet cause i'm at work but tonight i'll get more to see than Manhattan's upper atmosphere ! For now, it just seems amazing ! All those little details even NY looks nice (which IMO was getting boring after all this time !). Can't wait to see elsewhere !

!!! GOOD JOB !!!

• Freelancer - Trade, Explore, Fight (ever heard that?)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    Freelancer - Trade, Explore, Fight (ever heard that?)

I would if i could get through jumpgates..;)

Having problems with CTD's in sol..managed to get through to styx..but mandar jumpgate keeps crashing me to my desktop.
    Anyone else haveing problems..and have you put in another way to russia systems or else we dont get to see this great mod in all its glory.
    If its just me then ill look at my pc settings and sort it..but if its a mod bug then??well I dont know

• I just got ingame, and when I left Manhattan I got a CTD, and now every time I load it up, right before it gets all the way ingame (Like, a few seconds after I select my character) it CTD's on me.

P.S. I have 3D sound disabled, and I tried turning the graphics all the way down, but I dont think its a graphics issue since I have a 1.5 Gig video card, a 2.2 gig AMD Athlon x64 3500+ CPU and 3 gigs of ram. As well as running windows 7 with the UAC off, and no firewalls or anything to block any access.

• just wanted to say so far the game looks amazing.. quite impressed with the graphical changes since 1.7 havent been online yet as it seems every single name i try on all servers has been taken? does anyone else have this issue?

besides that everything looks GREAT! :)

• Maybe theres a minor bug in the advanced graphics settings? I know my video card can support the advanced graphics, because its a really fast card, but I'll untick it when I get to reinstall it again just to see. I just finished reinstalling windows XP to see if maybe its an OS issue with the video card drivers or something.

• ive just spoken with quite a few people on the server, and theres quite a few people who have to untick the advanced shaders in the mod setup menu, when activating the mod.
    You lose all the fancy new graphics bloom effects and stuff, but still, it looks a little better than 1.7.

And BTW, with the Orange HUD i couldnt see the commodities list very easily, it seems a bit too bright, so i recommend a darker colour...

Kalisie, i may have an older Graphics card, but it has all the latest shader model 3.0 and everything and DDR3 with a 1.3 Ghz bus speed. Shame i can use it all.

Originally posted by Sam-Arrow-Thomas
    What's the point in having so much starting money in SP ? and be friendly with everyone ? What, you want a navigable database to search for every new stuff without getting into trouble ? I doubt OP will offer you all CF1.8 secrets so easily, you'll have to face danger to explore my friend. Even if it is SP or MP.

And besides it's always more fun to rush sometimes, otherwise you get bored pretty quick !

To play Devil's advocate for a moment, customizable money settings can give people the freedom to choose whether or not to "rough it out." Money is not particularly difficult to make in Crossfire but, to give an example, I avoid illegal commodities and fly fighters to strictly adhere to my police role. It takes... awhile to make 150+ million credits via missions and escape pods. "Trade, Explore, Fight" can be a great catchall, but for those who have made dozens and dozens of characters over the years these things can become rather mundane while character building. Trade has become "fly back and forth from New Berlin to Stuttgart." Explore starts with "dock at every vanilla station and map every vanilla object for the n'th time." Similarly, Fight begins with "avoid combat with most NPC factions to protect your multi-million credit rep hacks, safely trade, and buy top-notch equipment without being denied landing clearance." That is not to say that starting over from scratch isn't exciting, but rather that it is much less fun to do in OpenSP alone than it is on the server with one's m8s. Just because a few players think their style of gameplay is superior does not mean that those who don't want to replicate the "rags to riches" story in OpenSP again should be forced to conform. It's not a big deal of course, but Radu certainly wasn't offering a bad idea.

Anyway, once I've gotten a char built up and have experienced some of the new features I will offer my thoughts on them. From what I have heard thus far I suspect that my appraisal will be quite upbeat and positive. :)

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• I love the blue/red hud, it looks awesome imo.

Im going to try the advanced graphics with windows XP to see if it works. If it does, then it could possibly be an OS conflict between the drivers and the OS, since windows XP, Vista, and 7 handle the driver architecture differently.

[Edit] My video card has shader model 4.0 and a 1.5 GHz bus speed (PCI Express) and has turbo cache so that it runs at a faster speed based on my ram, and since I have 3 gigs of ram, thats 512 Megs Video power on XP, and 1.5 gigs on Win7. So im pretty sure my video card can support the advanced graphics, but maybe the windows 7 drivers have issues with it, lol

• Ok, well I got some interesting information. A friend of mine irl has an XP computer with an Intel Celeron 2.8 gig CPU with 1.7 gigs of ram, and a 128 meg ATI Radeon 9200 TV Tuner Video card, and his game runs perfect with all advanced options and everything turned on, and compatibility mode disabled.

• one advice... do not put - Activate (bump mapping + motion blur) for Advanced Shader... I only had it on Activate first install, grafics were perfect... now that I have that my grafics are completely screwed up plus I have severe FPS problems in game

for laptops with similar specs... don't use that option

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.2 GHZ, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2 cache)
    8600M GT
    3 G DDR 2

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• OP it is fantastic, i love the Swashbuckler!!!! what a great little ship :))
    I've mapped Custo, and found that someone has destroyed Neutro!!! Already!! OMG BG need more system defenders OP.
    Still, X3043 is amazing, big explosions, and i nearly died just hanging around in their, the flashes were immense.
    Very impressed so far, just need to find the Rum for my twin Rum dispensers, and then i can play with my dancing girls, LOL.