Single Player Difficulty

There are 40 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Hellraiser.

• you can not modify it
    and i already reduced the difficulty in cf1.8

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• nubs stop the SP and join the serv ...

---------------------------------------ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็_(ツ)_ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Originally posted by wootmaster
    i'm on the [last part of Mission 1], where you find the rogue outpost in the cloud, theres about 8 fighters and 2 weapons platforms.

I'm not new to crossfire or Freelancer, ... however, ... It only takes about 2 min for me to die, and it's just way to hard. ...

Is there ... anything anyone can suggest ... ?

Mission 1 is always tedious because you are restricted to the ultra-light Starflier. While the Starflier is maneuverable enough to avoid taking too much fire, it just doesn't hit hard enough with the stock Liberty Lasers to take out enemies quickly.

Tips:

- Sell your nanobots and shield batteries before your very first flight. Buy LavaBlade Plasma Cannons... they hit MUCH harder than the lasers. You won't need bots or bats on the first flight.

- If you don't already slide in combat, then LEARN TO DO IT. I turn off my engines before combat (Z key) and slide through the entire battle using only thrusters. (I don't know why King does not teach you to slide... it seems like an unfinished part of the game.)

- In rare circumstances, I don't do what I just said. :) When chasing some very quick light fighters, it can be easier to use less than max engine speed, or just match their speed.

- Take out the Weapons Platforms before attacking the fighters. The Weapons Platforms have long range and high power... THEY are probably killing you faster than the fighters.

- Buy a counter-measure dropper and SELECT IT in your weapons panel in the cockpit. That puts the counter-measure dropper into "automatic mode", where it will release a flare whenever a missile is launched at you. You will run out of counter-measures more quickly that way, but it may save your ass if you are being overwhelmed by too many enemies.

Suggestion for the mod:

- I have always thought that Mission 1 was more boring than really "difficult". If we could buy a Rhino or Patriot on Manhattan at Level 0, then Mission 1 would be more fun.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• Uh CD dropper in "automatic drop mode" ???? I never heard of that function and I've been playing Freelancer for a looong time. I'm curious to learn how thats done. ^^

[CFPD]Lone_Renegade __________[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_TR
    [CFPD]Lone_Renegade*/**/***__[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_BS

Crossfire Federal Police Department Website

When you want to curse and swear, don't despair, use some flair. Be creative with your words, and enjoy the whole affair!

Originally posted by Lone_Renegade
    Uh CD dropper in "automatic drop mode" ???? I never heard of that function and I've been playing Freelancer for a looong time. I'm curious to learn how thats done. ^^

I just told you... select the countermeasure dropper in your weapons panel (while in flight). You know, as though you were adding it to your current Weapons Group.

I do not recall seeing this tip in the Freelancer manual... it is just a tip that I picked up while reading the boards.

In BigDaddy Storyline, pirates are so tenacious with cruise disruptors that automatic countermeasures are one of the few ways of having even a chance to escape from being hammered early in the game. Fortunately, BigDaddy lets you carry 160 [CounterMeasure] flares!

=============================================

Edit: Originally I had a typo above "160 CD flares". That typo (and Lone Renegades's above) caused half of the confusion in the following messages. Sorry!

PS: As with Crossfire's very creative NPC work, BigDaddy's NPCs are also very funny at times. They:

• Set ambushes (cloaked)
    • Split into two wings so that one wing chases you while the other wing cruises past you and attacks from behind... even when you are sliding backwards.
    • Disable Trade Lane gates when you try to use a Trade Lane to escape.
    • Fire multiple cruise disruptors in order to defeat countermeasure flares that you might drop.

Still, I have to say that the funniest NPC experience I have ever had was in Crossfire. I was stopped in an asteroid field to check the Nav map. Four neutral ships slowly circled around my ship and came to a dead stop. I was curious about them so I targeted one. The second that I targeted one ship, all four turned red and blew me out of the sky. I got a good laugh out of that one.... great work, guys!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• 1. CD = Cruise Disruptor
    2. Countermeasures = CM

you are talking about 2 completly different objects

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    1. CD = Cruise Disruptor
    2. Countermeasures = CM

you are talking about 2 completly different objects

Actually it is the same topic: Cruise Disruptors are just missiles. Counter-Measures stop them some percentage of the time.

CM stops CD (usually)

It may consume a few flares, but it works great.

• Yep OP, it was jsut the thing I wanted to say heh. You both used CD and CM name in 2 posts... and about this tip... sometimes(usually/mostly heh) some tips are only gave when a trainer is preparing his clan members for battles ^^ Just like that one heh

And yes, the tip is not for CDs(Cruise Disruptors), just for CMs(Counter Measures).

Not getting trained enough, or not wanting it thinking you're good enough, is a thing that stops you from learning more ^^

EDIT: got pawned again, Winkie jut posted in the same minute as OP xD

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Originally posted by Michael
    And yes, the tip is not for CDs(Cruise Disruptors), just for CMs(Counter Measures).

Man, what is it with this place?

I posted my first message this morning, and you are the third person to tell me I am wrong when, in fact, I am correct.

Weird attitude. Guys, instead of jumping down a newbie's throat, how about investigating the facts, first?

I just stopped in to say how much I liked Crossfire. Sheesh!

CMs work very well against CDs. If you look at weapon_equip.ini, you can see that CDs are just missiles with two lines changed:

[Munition]
    cruise_disruptor = true

[Gun]
    hp_gun_type = hp_torpedo_special_2

• CMs are for every kind of missile/CDs

if you launch a CD and the other guy a CM, the CD will go after CM, same with missiles

thats all there is to it, CD is the same as Missiles regarding CDs

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

Originally posted by Bond
    Do not pay attention at some hunters and spammers. ;)

feel like at home m8.

Thanks!

I am comfortable with what I know, and one thing I know is that there are people here who know more than I do about many topics. I might also have an occasional tip to contribute to the forum. I figure that is what forums are supposed to be about... sharing knowledge and "give and take".

Apparently I stumbled onto a good one -- and surprised a couple of the experts! That was completely unintentional.

I was just trying to help out a couple of other newbies who were struggling with combat basics.

Anyway, I'm cool, but I appreciate your reply!

• I just corrected you because you wrote that you automatically launched CDs and did talk about CD Flares
    that is not possible

You can automatically launch CMs and the only flares are CM ones
    u just confused a few ppl by mixing up CDs with CMs (nothing else)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• what O_o

now you confused me even more, wth are CD flares and when did I say that you can launch CDs automatically O_O

CMs can be launched automatically when activating it in the weapon window and it is used for both CDs and Missiles

so when a guy launched a CD and you a CM, the CD will go for the CM, same with the missiles

CDs and Missiles will also go first for mines for that matter (something a lot of people don't know about because all they do is complain about the 'lag' it causes)

...wait what? O_O

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    u just confused a few ppl by mixing up CDs with CMs (nothing else)

Haha! OK, now I understand. :)

I had to re-read all of my notes to see what you were talking about, because my original post correctly described CMs and CDs.

However, in one of my follow-up responses, I mentioned BigDaddy allows "160 CD Flares", which is obviously a typo.

So, yeah, I meant, "CM Flares". You're right!

• Hey wait, but now i am confused, what are CDs and CMs, is there any difference between this 2.
    As i understand CDs hunting CMs, then CMs trying to lure those CDs, but CDs disrupt missiles, then missiles and torpedoes hunt vessel and CMs lure them, or CDs lure them.
    Heey...who hunt who, who evade, and who lure them all...
    ?( ?( ?(

best regards
    CM Mell

• ignore him... just his usual kind of humor (i suppose)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by Bond
    Hey wait, but now i am confused, what are CDs and CMs, is there any difference between this 2.
    As i understand CDs hunting CMs, then CMs trying to lure those CDs, but CDs disrupt missiles, then missiles and torpedoes hunt vessel and CMs lure them, or CDs lure them.

Hahaha! Yeah, this thread IS funny!

To recap:

• A couple of newbies asked for help with Mission 1. They did not get helpful responses, so I offered some tips that helped me when I was first starting out.
    • One of those tips seemed to be previously unknown here. Since I am a newbie, a couple of regular posters thought that I was wrong (I was not).
    • BUT I DID make one small typo, which caused some confusion.
    • The result is a flurry of messages, back and forth, with various levels of seriousness, joking, and misunderstandings -- both intentional and unintentional.

At the risk of repetition, here are the main points, just for clarity:

• CM = Counter Measure
    • CD = Cruise Disruptor
    • Cruise Disruptors are a type of missile.
    • Therefore, Counter Measures are effective decoys against Cruise Disruptors.
    • Counter Measures can be put into "automatic mode" by selecting them in the Weapons panel (while in flight). This fires CMs whenever a missile is launched at the player's ship.
    • Automatic CMs work whether the attacking missile is a "normal" missile or a Cruise Disruptor.
    • Manual CMs also work against CDs, but CDs are so fast that it can be difficult to react before they hit.

Whew! Does that make sense?

:)