News categories list

Nov

With the upgrade of the SWAT Portal (which btw. I still havent officialy announced *cough*) we have introduced more and more great features to our community.
    One of them is a new translation function that you can find on all Portal pages.

You can find a small translation button if you scroll down to the bottom of the pages.
    It detects your browser language and will translate the portal content into that language as long this button is active.

This will allow our members to understand whats been written by others even if it is in a different language and certainly will we will get rid of language barriers.

Jun

During a Kernel Update this night there was a malfunction of one of the HDDs on the SWAT Main webserver.

The HDD meanwhile got replaced and no data was lost

The few hours downtime has lead to market problems on the CF server which also should be fixed meanwhile (Freelancer restart is required).

Server statistics and player lists will update tomorrow.

Websites of the SWAT network should be a bit slower than usual at the moment as they require to do daily updates and maintenance now.

In a few hours everything should be normal again.

Jan

Like every year Id like to loose a few words about the year which is reaching its end today.

Well, it was a relative calm year when i look back. No major catastrophes, relative small troubles over the entire year. Thats good.

The community held together and helped each other and of course new players. Thank you for that.

2013 also was the year where Crossfire got its 7th Mod of the Year nomination which is certainly a milestone for us. No other Freelancer mod and I also believe no other mod in general managed to get to this point. Thank you for all your votes.

Speaking of Crossfire the year 2013 was also an incredible time and work intense year.

I think only Huor really knew how much I was trying to push the development of Crossfire 2.0 since May/June in order to reach a state where we can discuss about a "release" and he also has spent such an incredible amount of work on the mod that I just want to say thank you. Thank you also to the other people which helped... on the mod and on

Dec

On 14th December 2002 five members of a young Starlancer clan founded the SWAT Portal as they felt the need to create a community for players and clans that wish to stay connected even if they play different games.
    11 years later we still have this idea in mind and can look back on many great years.
    Thank you to everyone who supported us and helped to stay an active community for such a long time.

We have many great plans for the next year. Not only the Crossfire 2.0 release can be expected but also the start of new projects and massive updates here at the Portal.
    I hope the community gives us the support to keep going for another 11 years.

Always keep in mind:

11-year-olds-rock-card-from-zazzle-com_1246169169884.png

Dec

Crossfire short stories XVI: Inner Core Logs

Reconnaissance Fleet Commanders log: Day 1: All ships have completed the jump successfully, a way back, as expected, is not possible. The first scan shows a significantly greater effect of gravity than it is at the edges of the Milky Way. In the central sector of the first system a black hole was detected with three artificial objects symmetrically positioned around it. Two scout ships sent to survey returned severely damaged by the increasing gravity of a black hole...

Dec

Crossfire short stories XV: Journey with no return

The Tactical holo-display in the middle of the Command Center at GMG’s research station shows symbols for more than 50 ships hovering around the station and huge special jump-gate. The appearance of there being peace in space is misleading. On board the ships and space station itself, there is nervousness as the crews repeatedly perform all internal systems checks...

Nov

Some of you may have noticed (maybe not) that Paypal is now charging a currency exchange fee on transactions, including donations to SWAT Portal. The fee was about 4% on the amount I transferred to OP this month (US dollars -> Euros); I don't know if the rate increases with the size of the transaction or remains constant. In any case, I recommend that anyone who is making donations to SWAT/Crossfire to take it upon themselves to absorb the currency exchange fee, and not expect OP to absorb the unnecessary loss of revenue to keep this great site & server open to all. This would mean that you increase your system rent payment from 20euro to 20.8 euro. This is really not a big sacrifice considering the value OP provides us all! Thanks for your cooperation, and we'll see you in space!

Mar

During the past weeks I've done massive updates to the SWAT Portal and sites which belong to it.

Our new Star Trek Online section which soon will hit 300 active players has got its Fleet website a few weeks ago at Phoenix Legion XII | The Star Trek Online Fleet of the SWAT Portal
    While meanwhile complete and fully functional I can not exclude that further changes to the website will be done in the following weeks as I am currently discussing optional features with the game developers -> automatic member management and fleet statistics.

Since Bloodguard returned to active duty and I expect that this clans starts to play a bigger role again the BG Clan page got replaced with a new modern one.
    Bloodguard

On the Portal itself more than 30 updates were done to fix bugs and improve the features.
    Just to name a few changes:
    - access problems to the ticketsystem should be fixed now
    - members can apply for usergroups already when they register
    - better protection against spam bot registrations
    -

Jan

2012 was a very weird year.

The world did not end, eventhough mass effect 3 was a catastrophy.

Looking back at the year which is almost over I unfortunately have many negative impressions in mind... more negative than positive actually.

Community members which prefer to argue than to work together, the loss of a clan, conflicts between communities, players which complain about every shit instead of making use of what they got and not fulfilled objectives for the year.

Most of the above mentioned stuff had negative impact on the portal.

The lack of help and support aswell all the troubles generated by the players have thrown back the development of CF2.0 by many months. Even worse, it nearly killed the motivation of the team.

I remember 3 times when Huor requested help and got not even a reply.... and I know that people had the knowledge and ability to help. Probably its best if I dont mention how many times I requested help and got no reply during the past year.

It saddens me that