Posts by Daywalker

Originally posted by pcforce
    Its not the same when pinging the server address and FL server on it. Thats why there are special tools to ping a FL server.

:) It can´t be the same

using the ping command sends 4 packets with exact 32 Bytes to the ip

using the ingame shell will show you the mean value with your in windows adjusted MTU (mostly 1500 or 1492) you can change this value via your network settings - if you use raspppoe like here:

Meaning of "Eigenschaften" in the Main description of the window is Properties (Picture is from W2000 XP is similar). But you have to find out the max packet size before.
    You should use the tool its much more easy.

ooookay,

What can you do for a fast running Client/Server Connection seriously?!

At 1. The Connection / Ping, losses, routes
    It depends on your Internet Connection and your ISP: Faster Connection -> lower Ping -> lower ping faster commuication between Server and Client -> if the client get faster informations about the server controlled coordinates from NPC´s you will have less hopping from the NPC´s.

What could you do for lowering the ping (and only this)? Buy a faster internet connection or tunnel your NAT to the game server (This would not be allowed from the admin i suppose (maybe 4 his own connection [604] ).

For testing this open a command shell and write: ping 87.106.22.90

For informations about the Ping command read this :klick me:

You should have NO packet losses (losses kill the gamplay for you and others)
    The ping itselve (time) shouldn´t be higher than 80 (you can play Freelancer up to 150)

2. A good Ping isn´t the only condition for having a fast gameplay. You need as less as possible hops to get a fast connection. For testing this open a command shell and write: tracert 87.106.22.90

For informations about the traceroute command read this :klick me:

Now you get informations about the servers your command will have to pass while sending information from your client to the CF Gameserver. Every server your packets pass is a hop. Every hop is bad :). If you use one or more Firewalls you get a "*" back - this is normal and good for you because so you are unseen for incomming commands (This is the job of a firewall).

You shouldn´t have to many hops because this will lower the ping.

This is my route to the CF Gameserver (i´ve modiefied my NAT :P)

1 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.99.137
    3 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms dslb-082-083-096-011.pools.arcor-ip.net [82.83.6.1]
    4 7 ms 6 ms 7 ms hmb-145-254-10-193.arcor-ip.net [145.254.10.193
    5 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms ffm-145-254-16-66.arcor-ip.net [145.254.16.66]
    6 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms arcor-pp.ffm.schlund.net [145.253.33.66]
    7 14 ms 13 ms 14 ms pc-2.gw-backbone-d.ffm.schlund.net [212.227.120.44]
    8 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms te-2-3.gw-backbone-d.bs.ka.schlund.net [212.227.120.17]
    9 19 ms 18 ms 18 ms a0kac2.gw-distp-a.bad.schlund.net [212.227.121.20]
    10 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms pbadd.gw-prtr-r231-a.bad.schlund.net [195.20.24.50]
    11 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms s15216348.onlinehome-server.info [87.106.22.90]

This is a nice and fast route

1 is my Software firewall
    2 is my hardware firewall and router
    3 is my ip adress from arcor (My Internet Service Provider (ISP))
    4 is the Hamburg backbone from arcor which routes to
    5 the Frankfurt Backbone of my ISP
    6 The route in Frankfurt Germany will now go to
    7 schlund (another isp) normaly German Telekom and 1&1 and
    via some data processing centers 8,9 and 10 to
    11 shows to you the CF Gameserver

If you connect via other countries you will get more hops because of leaving a countrie maybe a continent and entering an other.

Lowering the ping of my route (this wouldn´t make sense for me) should possible if i get an isp with faster connection between the two cities.

It´s possible for you to find out wich ISP lowers your ping - and than take another with better connections. Normaly the biggest ISP´s of your countries will have the best connections and less hops.

3. If you have both, nice pings and less hops (up to 18 ) but problems with your connection you should have a look to your MTU.

For informations about the MTU read this :klick me:

The Maximum Transmission Unit refers to the size of the largest packet client and server can exchange via the connection.
    If it is to big the client uses 2 steps to submit if it is to small more steps for submitting are needed.
    If the gameserver gets two packets from a client and the client have to send 2 packets both have to process twice (thats bad for you ;)) Every ISP uses other MTU´s for their connections.

Some posts before i submitted a tool for an easy setup utility.

By testing this for my systems i found no losses from the CF Server (This is good for all because the server have a clean routing ;))

To speed up your own System for getting a better connection nothing will help you!!!

If you play the game your computer will do many things at the same time:

An example when you are in combat, and destroy a NPC your computer gets the information about the hit in the right coordinate from the CF Gameserver after this he will output sound, graphics and so on. While doing this a computer with an onboard sound have to process the sound (normaly), have to process the graphics in his memory and so on.

You have a soundcard with an own processor? Very good the sound processer from the soundcard will not take processing time from your Main processor (This is good for you ;))
    You have a graphics card with own RAM? Very good again, the ram of the graphics card is much more faster than the one from your system and mustn´t be used than.

In the background your computer have to send and receive Packets from and to the CF Server - A question: What do you mean wich computer is faster in sending the packets - the one which processes all by himself or the one which can give the jobs to other processing resourses? Right on the second one.

So - if you are using onboard graphics and sound you should have a very fast processor otherwise try to survive :P because your computer does it every time you are playing too.

Microft demands for playing this game:

* Microsoft® Windows® 98/Me/XP/2000
    * PC with 600 MHz equivalent or higher processor
    * 128 MB of system RAM
    * 900 MB available hard disk space
    * 8x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
    * 16 MB video card required
    * Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
    * Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
    * 56 Kbps modem for online/multiplayer; LAN or broadband to run a server

This are Minimum requirements - but you can play this game with a machine like this!

In my opinion all of your systems are better than shown above otherwise you realy should change your system.

If you change your video output from 32 to 16 Bit, your grapics card would act faster because of needing less RAM to process. If you lower the effects it will take effect because the graphics card don´t need to process it. If you don´t activate your 3D Sound the sound card or processor haven´t to process it - and if you switch of your computer your Processor have to process nothing!

Try to use the game like all the other Programs on your computer too.

Defrag it regular, run the best drivers you can find (that mustn´t be the newest - but don´t think about using old drivers with for example Win XP with SP II you will regret it) and have a look to old registry entries and your temp directories.

In some Games special Tweaks in their startup ini files will take effect too, in freelancer i don´t now this so i keep away my fingers from it...

Thats all you can do local!

My Settings are:

Clean New Crossfire Install, No 3D sound, all graphics effects but graphic ca. 80 %, colour Quality 16 Bit, i figured out my MTU and my Ping is shown above (ingame it´s now about 23)

Just my 2 cents
    Have fun out there :)

Gunny

Excuse me but this is from a newbie sight not the only prob.

If you never play Crossfire before and want to have a look at it like me for example you will install it and start playing.

You will find this multiplayer problem and if this mod isn´t your first mp game you will be angry about not having a chance against the easiest npc´s because of the lag. With this problem you will normaly uninstall it (in my opinion) because you explain it for you as a server sided problem.

My Installation of crossfire was over a normal, fully patched (included the unoffical 1.4 patch) FL installation. In SP i had no problems. After I´ve got the MP probs and OP writes something about a not deleted file from the save dir because of an other problem to me, i´ve uninstalled my complete FL Installations include Mod Manager, saved Games and cleaned up the registry by hand. After it i reinstalled it without the 1.4 patch.

The thing now is, Crossfire appears in a complete other way (i choosed the same CF settings while activating!) The windows are red e.g. (Believe me the settings are the same) and the lag is gone by nearly 70%.

A new MP user have to reinstall FL complete if he haven´t done it before.

Tomorrow I will test your tweakings too.

Just my two Cents

I can´t understand cheating especialy in this mod, because with some time you can get very fast money and equipment with a lot of fun. Writing a patch to avoid the cheat detection will need some time too. In this time you can earn a lot of money to buy the equipment you need to survive.

Maybe someone can answer me a question - pvp is allowed - so how will it work?
    If someone is a pirate - is it allowed for him to attack all other players. Yesterday i saw two well equipt but lonely, player driven trains. With a good fighter it isn´t a prob to shoot them down - but what will the pirat earn than? some prisoners or black market articles? Do the trains put their loot after shoting them down? Do they lost the weapons?
    If you play as police, what will be your job? Hunting the player Pirates - and how do you earn money with it?

Smugglers and Mercs are clear - but do the police players hunt the smugglers too?

So how the Cf system works?

UPDATE:

Today all worked fine - because i made the second step first with my last posting :( sry - It was a corrupt installation on my side i suggest. After complete cleaning from all FL Installations included mod Manager, all crossfire Registry entries (some survive after Deinstallation) and after this a reboot of course, i reinstalled all and...

Bingo - a small lag is to meet, but no further impetuous NPC hopping.

And ingame i met a guy from BG, who gives me acess to Custodian without any problems (I thougt i will get some because of the rules).

I have a more forwarding look now.

;)

The Frog

ps.: Do so many players cheat on the server? Because often i saw a possible cheat detect from the server?!

ok - now i visited the online game and tried to have some more fun with you guys but i run on some probs...

The biggest one is i always have lag problems...

My connection is clean 6 Mbit dsl down 512 kb up ping isn´t higher than 25 no packet losses. The firewalls of my network are open for the Ports 2302-2304 (Freelancer online Ports) TCP and UDP incomming and outgoing but the npc´s jumps in zigzag.
    So i need a two times better ship to fight npc´s with lvl 2 or 3 and up to 30 min. for two enemies - this is ... Is this only my prob or is it the server? If the server is the prob., i saw not more then 32 ppl playing at the same time in the last weeks. Therfor the server had to provide ressources for 80 players but max 32 are using his ressources - you can lowers the max player count maybe to 50 and get more calculating and packet ressources.

Next is more a question. From SP i know, Custodian stations sells ingame ships like titan, sabre and eagle and shields up to lvl 10 for the old prices and because of the near to the beginning systems i would like to enter the system for buying this equipment. In your rules is written, that i have to ask for permission entering clan owned systems but the last times i´m on nobody with the BG tag is online too - so how could i get a permission from a clan member when non is online? Buying a sabre or titan from voigtland or leon is at this time to expensive for me, because of bad reps - and shooting down eg. red hessians is with my equipment nearly unpossible because of the lag...

Next prob. will come if i get better lvl´s. In SP the Outcast (my favorite enemies) will always flee if they see me. In two systems only they always fight me - Far point and X3043. Because of the number of appearance Far Point is in my opinion (from SP) the best System to fight them. You can earn - much money by collecting escape pods very fast. But Far Point is an end system lying after Tarsus wich is owned by a clan too. So, do i have to ask all the time if i like to enter their system? And where could i sell the escape pods than? All Crossfire systems with prisons are owned by clans too. If i want to sell the ep´s i have to go back to the old systems (long ways) but eg. custodian is clan owned too, so i would have to go via inner cloud, the corridor, new london to manchester or via Freeport 7, Quantos, Frankfurt to Hamburg to sell. Isn´t it possible to get a free access from this clans? (I don´t know this - maybe it will work since years in this manner - but as a newbie i have to ask this...sry)

@Operator

:D8):D

"to let the dks settle in altair first"

Something known about their breakout? I like to be a part of the defenders fleet 8)

we are all evil ^^

NP in SP Nomads are not hard to fight but someone switches of the light in this systems only the corners are free for looking at the massiv carriers...

yes the torp is that big... i measured the size on my dick

Uuups, tell your wife or girlfriend my regret for your disease - isn´t it hard to live with this prob.?! :] :P :]

there is just one hole to the dk systems

Yes, but i´ve got the wrong coordinates from the bars in coalition systems - and i thought it must be more than cause the coordinates leeds me to the cloud behind this hole...

fleeing? do you want to live forever? O_o

Yes :D, call me the green and wet Highlander :D, coalition called a ship "The Kurgan VHF" for his opponent so this ugly warrior lives forever too "(deep voice) my kid" (you remember?)

If i get only one beer - i´ll take a romulan ale please!
    I never drink and dive - sry fly...

@Marshal Cunningham

The ships are the real deal. Hypothetically though the massive Coalition and Order forces in Altair and Sol are keeping the alien menace from gaining ground. You will find human capital ships every 30 seconds in some systems nearby

Ahhh yes you are right - that and the musik makes me feel so unsecure in the DK´s Territories...

I wouldn't waste my time hunting for snipes if I were you (I could be wrong, but I doubt it)

Real preparing for MP is preparing for surviving in my opinion, think i have mapped all the jh´s and wrecks in sirius and most in altair... maybe we will face us in space soon.

If they're big in the 80's why not in the future?

I think i have to agree...

ok weapons could be big... klick me

So if you can blow up a small Destroyer with one hit - okay persuaded!

[...]for the amount of 9 million credits each

cool, i sold it in sirius; yesterday - for a little less money ;(

But the Game informations i´ve got are wrong than. They gave me the wrong coordinates in the bars (maybe next time i will ask without showing my guns ) :D

Thank you for your informations about DK´s that are my impressions too, but isn´t it the only way to get weapons from the dk´s ?! ?(

Argos

too much questions for 100 hours of playing and mapping?

1 ok
    2 ;)
    3 it´s shown on the cf database - you mean in upper unknown or generaly?
    4 yes, i agree maybe it´s helpfull in clanwars?!
    5 yeah - with a little time for reloading the Autosaves :)) - and thx again.
    6 what do you think about going by battleship in there?

Thanks a lot - for the quick answers - faster than light!
    8)

Some questions from a Single Player to the proffesionals:

I often see Dk´s in e.g. Omicron Alpha, Omicron Gamma and the Border Worlds of Altair. In all this Systems no Corsair, Outcast or Coalition boat fight against them - why?! Do they have a peace agreement??? ;)

In the Main Nomad and DK systems giant Carriers and Motherships appears every 30 seconds - sometimes straight before my tiny little Haidar - if this factions are owning so many capital ships why don´t they attack sirius - or do they all use the Holo Projektor from the coalitions HQ? Do they fear the mega coalition guns (but if the don´t shoot them - hmmmm so many questions)? ;)

I´m looking for the wrecks in upper unknown (more than once) do they exist - or is it a fake to train new players? ;)
    Seriously - do they exist? And please on which position, the Database seems to be wrong here...

Is it correct that a coaliton torpedo is so heavy that you can equip it only 3 times in a haidar because it takes away your cargao space (300 t divided by 3 and it have to have the weight of 65 upper class limousines per torpedo)?! ;)

After i´ve got the Blackboxes i went to ... (how can i say it without saying to much...?!...) Ok, hope somebody will understand, the point where you can go in coalition sector after you get the hints by using your pistols :D (btw. cool idea!)

Is this only the Jumphole to Hieron and the e... buoy or could i find more - on the position i got from the hints?

And last but not least:

Do a lonely single player have a small chance in the DK´s territories???

I´m flying a tiny littly Haidar with all you can buy for it - get nearly no hits while i´m approaching a DK wing (mostly 5 ships) because of strafing like hell but in hand to hand combat i have not a chance to survive against 5 Dk´s. Fleeing (because of my better truster) is the only way to s urvive... Some alternative proposal for fighting them - and beat them?!

Thx for ur answers...

Hmmm taking a rest now, while drinking a glass of beer on planet bloods bar...
    Bartender please... one beer not shaken please :D:D:D

Originally posted by Titan_addict

That's a state secret.
    I could tell you but then I'd have to serve you up as a fried dish in a fancy French restaurant. 8)

LOL!! life without feed could be sad - i prefer not to meet you yet.

ribbit

Originally posted by LaserJet6L
    That nav map is partially wrong. I`ve compared it with mine and even tested it.

I´ve tested the whole Map again this evening by using all jump holes again. Therefor i need reppay for the dragons and now for the kusari police and naval forces... think it will be about 2 mio - for nothing! X(

The complete Map is ok - maybe you should buy new glasses Jetty!

Originally posted by LaserJet6L
    1. It`s LJ or just Laser
    2. What has your name to do with anything? I just told that allmost half of that map is wrong. If i`d like to i could post my hiruga map, but that would spoil all the fun of searching the way out.

1. uups don´t worry, sry if you need it...
    2. the post was a combination just more an additional "information" for titan_addict he was kidding about my "sexy" avatar btw. The HP 6L was a very good printer in former days :);):tongue:

You said that half of the map is wrong - thats not right cause i did it by myself and it´s working. But ok - I will test the map again completly today in the evening.

3. Most of the ppl. here seems to be adult - so if they decide to use a map like this - they can do this in my opinion - some ppl. only wan´t to equip the shield not searching arround. Otherwise they don´t use it and search their way themselves like you and me.

ps. maybe it´s an other gameplay in single player than in multiplayer mode?!

Titan_addict

and what do you think how i got miss piggy "the hottie" if i´m not a tough frog? :rolleyes:

and ok - maybe it´s better to be a tiny lump of green felt on wires as Titan-addicted :P - its a realy heavy metal 47,88 g/mol - what is your actual weight dude?

@LaserJet6L

where?

Should i take a new name like Laserjet IIIe???

no...

this girl is more than ever a hp pinwriter (with 24 needles!!! yeah) can be :]

Free Netware 3.2 burn down win 3.11! OS/360 for President...

seriously - where is my fault Jetty?

Hi gunny,

Maybe you do not know it, because you are a long time on this board, but your standing here is in my opinion, as a new user, undoubted!

Sometimes a Comunity become a part of live often when it means something to you.

You and some other guys do a job for this comunity - thank you for this - seriously! - and often you will find ppl in comunities who flames just for fun. Unfortunately i know this situations out of other forums but:

When your position is fairly strong here and you make a decision it is as double as hard to stand against your decision when you are new and unknown. So - in my opinion it would become a wise way not using your power if you don´t need it. Your m8 said it before, you do not need justfying yourself because of your standing - your opposite isn´t in this position - he have to explain all.

If he is a cheater or flamer, say it as you did before; nobody will pay attention of his words than.

Otherwise try to hold him alive - plz. He´s know playing in floodlight thats enough in my opinion.

I will not pay attention for flamers - but for the guys who builds the community. All here sounds ok, like in 99% of the forums i met before. And it will be a pleasure for me to get experience in CF Online after Christmas...

Hope we will meet out there.

ps.: and sry for my english it´s not my native language

I´m just now playing the sp mod finding out the stations wich i will need in multiplayer gaming soon.

I followed the discussion here and likes to say some words:

1) cheating harms the gameplay enormously! Avoiding cheaters to play on the server is in my opinion very important.
    2) to blame someone as a cheater have to based on clear facts - i don´t know how to find it out clearly - it´s the job of the server police and the admin and if they decide that a player is cheating or play against the rules - it´s on their side to decide this.
    3) captainscarlet said it before: "This is NOT what a potentianl new member wants to see..it puts them off joining C.F. before they even get on the server.. " I agree with him cause i never played this mod online now and this flaming is realy nasty.

When i will go online - i´d like to have fun not stress.

So only some little questions for both sides:

Why do you play online? I think you all likes to meet other ppl, mess ur skill or trade and fight with them to get more fun than in Singleplayer?

The Server which you need to play on isn´t your one, you cannot play this mod online without this server - so if you want to use it, play fair and follow their rules.

If someone go to this Forum for advocating himself pls give him a second chance - in my opinion a cheater won´t come back and fight for his positions.

In dubio pro reo!

just my 2 cents...

@Operator

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    answer = transdimensional shifting of the whole system ^^

[SIZE=3]*ROFL*[/SIZE]

btw. When will it happen, i´m going to prepare my Real Life for it, never know wether this will harm us (but it will be nice seeing a real wormhole as my last concerned look)... :D

Ok, i understand now - this mod is a test for human being it sorts the worthy and unworthy, a kind of evolution...

OMG maybe your first name is Moses and here we are on Arche II...

Moses Operator [1752]

just kidding!

Altair is like Sirus not only one system, you will find a couple of Systems in Altair like Doppleganger said before...

May Somebody tell me since when the solar system is located in sirus? ;)

Did the Dk´s do that after leaving their home systems - or the nomads when they blew up the main planet in X3043?

Questions over questions and nobody have the answer...