Posts by Whiskyrunners_Inc.

Especially since this proposal was in direct conflict with the stuff that I requested to be done.

how so?
    iirc we were supposed to vote your successor, and that's just what we did. Then you came out of the woodwork and told us that's not an option. Gunny was merely the first to suggest the most sensible option. he was definitely not the only one that would have suggested it at some point.

edit: scratch all the other stuff, i'll keep my mouth shut for the time being, i'd still appreciate an answer to the above, though.

While i think here is hardly enough info out there to really form an opinion on, here's the stuff that i do have one on:

- playable Hirogen: could be fun, why not
    - playable Borg or Undine: HELL NO!!!
    - getting (in)to the Dyson Sphere: now this should be fun
    _______- i'm guessing this will be the new "space exploration zone" they've been talking about
    - seeing more of the Voth, Krenim, Vidiians (maybe even Kazon) : sure

If you're set on torps, i'd try to go all out kinetic so you can drop weapon power altogether.

personally i want to give transphasic another try, my setup would be:

Fore: Breen Cluster + 2 Transphasic (MK XII CritD/H or maybe Rapidfire)
    Aft: Breen Cluster, Nukara Mine, Temporal (as you have it)

Lt. Cmdr: TT1, TS23, TS3 (Torp Spread does NOT miss)
    Lt.: EptS1, Aux2Sif (with ET1, EptS2 as possible backup for teams with many VMs and stuff)
    Ens Eng: EptE1

Sci: not really sure here, just starting to get the hang of sci abilities myself

Doffs: Healthy mix of Damage Control Engineerss and Projectile Weapons Officers

As with most everything, it certainly depends on the individual, whether it is worth it to you.

Personally i rarely refine 30k or more worth of dill a day. if i do it's usually because i've saved up some unrefined dill due to burning large quantities of omega marks and processors or hitting a couple tier 5 rep rewards.
    What dill i get usually gets spent gearing one of my many chars, some goes into the fleets and occasionally some gets saved up for a major C-Store purchase.
    I did throw some real cash into some of those upgrades before finding out about these gold unlocks and becoming convinced enough they are permanent that i gave it a try myself.

If you see yourself throwing some cash at the game from time to time you might as well go gold once for the unlocks and respecs and cancel after 30 days (or once you reach lvl 50).
    If you really end up loving the game and are not going to miss the cash you can get the lifetime during a sale for the "free" 500 zen each month. The Veteran rewards are of minor effectiveness or just plain vanity stuff.
    But as rex said most of the stuff can also be had for ingame purple rock turned into zen, if you got the patience and determination.

I might just get the lifetime myself, should i happen to find myself with some disposable funds at the time of a sale, but honestly it's primarily because of the fireworks emote, lol :D
    Also, if you're relying on the 5% Vet Bonus for PvP you're probably doing it wrong and are likely to get your ass kicked either way and it's a team-wide bonus so you can just get someone who has it on your team if you really want it. I got along just fine without it or stuff like VR MK XII Tactical consoles. in many Arena / C&H you're getting teamed with someone who has it anyways.

Haven't had time to read all of your replies completely yet, getting late over here, but here are my thoughts:

it can be very useful to get the subscription once, best while leveling a new character as there are some bonuses that every character you play while being a subscriber (so called Gold Members) gets to keep:
    For each promotion (level 10, 20, 30, 40, and i think 45) you get an additional Bridge Officer slot and a number of inventory and bank slots (i think the same as one c-store upgrade each). these are all activated retroactively.
    you also get 2 of the account bank unlocks to keep. (account wide unlock)
    if you're leveling a char while subscribed that char also gets a free respec token for each promotion. considering these are 500 zen each and you'll definitely want to use one sooner or later i find myself resubbing each time i start a new char. also leveling in this game is so easy, it's no problem getting one or more chars to lvl 50 during the month of a subscription.

IMO it's worth to do it while leveling for the unlocks, then quit until the next char you level.
    if you're shooting for the veteran awards / ship ... you'll get more bang for your buck on a lifetime sale.

EDIT: just remembered i posted about this before

Edit: sorry for double-post. got an error and started to type everything out a second time just to discover 2 new posts by myself once finished, lol :D

I won't deny that the scimitar is a ship with powerful offensive capabilities, but totally OP, i'm not sure. It's extremely heavy and a slow turner. even using beams it can be difficult to keep your target within optimal firing arcs, the Helmsmen trait sure seems to help there.
    While i'm pulling ~15-17k on average with Anitra using Marion + Helmsman + Elite Drones + complete set of Romulan Boffs Glen is also pulling some respectable 12-14k in a JHEC without all that stuff. both are using 1 Romulan Experimental beam + mk xi [acc]x2 plasma beams from "Project Nightingale". Glen also has the Wide Angle Quantum from the Assault Cruiser retro that rommies don't have access too. The JH Dread should come even closer with an extra hangar without sacrificing much turnrate. Boff seating is almost identical to what i'm using on my scimi as well.

For raw cannon DPS the tac kumari is probably still best (or at least as good) as it has the 5 fore + 5 tac as well with more turnrate.

All in all:
    Slightly OP and probably the highest DPS ship in the game atm, I'd say yes.
    Totally OP, i'd have to disagree. :)

husker: Thanks for trying to contact some recruiters!

yeah, forgot about that ;)

with my KDF rommie i had a 20k ISE run earlier - pure borg genocide :D

edit: i'm actually trying to get into DPS-5000 atm, you have any contacts there?

looks nice!
    pretty similar to what Glen was flying before i went Beamboat.

As you have Marion i would try to replace 1 DHC with a DBB and take Overload 3 instead of Rapidfire II. If you get the BO fired within the first 8 sec of DEM that should reduce the drain to almost 0.

Gunny: welcome to the Fleet

nevos2005: really appreciate the offer mate, unfortunately i'm afraid we might not have enough PvPers for a full team yet.
    feel free to send me a tell / mail / something sometime (@whiskyfueled). while i'm busy repping / gearing up a possible FED PvP char and rallying our forces my KDF-Rom Anitra Lareth is (almost) always ready for some sparring/etc.

@Every Phoenix Legion Captian who feels up to the challenge of STO PvP and would like to join me in setting up a team to answer this challenge: Contact me 8).

There are Neutronium Consoles from the dill mine that come with secondary effects (like [+Turn] gives the same bonus as 1/2 RCS console of the same MK)

not quite sure about the name, but iirc for the MK Xs it was:

Fleet Neutronium Alloy MK X [+Turn]
    +18.8 all res
    +18.8% Turn rate

any plans for Boff seating yet?

i'm thinking:

Cmdr. Tac: TT1, CRF1, BO3, ApO3
    Lt. Tac: BO1, CSV1/CRF1
    Ens. Eng: EptE1/EptW1
    Lt. Cmdr Uni - Eng: ET1, Aux2SIF1, EptS3 / maybe have another standing by with EptS1, Aux2SIF1, RSP1
    Lt. Uni - Sci: HE1, TSS2

with 2 conn officers to keep TT1 up all the time you'Re under fire, ET counters stuff like VM, Web Mines and a couple others afaik. have yet to try it in PvP myself though.

or possibly all-out offensive:

Cmdr. Tac: TT1, CRF1, BO3, CRF3
    Lt. Tac: TT1, BO2
    Ens. Eng: EptS1
    Lt. Cmdr Uni - Tac: Target Subsystem (engines / shields ...), ApD1, ApO1

for PvP i'd go with [Acc]x2 Antiproton as well (or Elite Fleet Disrtuptors - that's what i'm using on my main PvP boat atm - Fleet Dhelan KDF).
    DBB + BO3 is nice, using that to good effect myself, and the chroniton DBB does look sweet indeed.
    can't find the stats for the temporal disruption device atm, but sure, give it a try.

Deflector: Assimilated Borg
    Engines: Assimilated Borg
    Shield: MACO XII ( what about going all MACO any good?)

the 2 pt. assimilated borg hull heal proc will do a great job at keeping you alive and is IMO superior to both maco set boni combined.
    the MACO shield however is great and only surpassed by elite fleet for general toughness.

Consoles i'd start with
    Eng: Mannheim, neutronium alloy XII
    Sci: Zero Point Module, field generator, tachyokinectic converter, tipler cylinder (so then i can get all the bonuses)
    Tac: 3x anti proton, assimilated module

Let me know what you think? And if it is worth having mayheim and tipler for the added bonus?

i'd prolly try one of the new shiny dill mine consoles with [+Turn] instead of the stock neutronium, iirc even the mk x ones are close to similar res and m,ore turn is always nice to have
    if you already have the complete temporal set, sure try it out. btw isn't that the famed TIF / Temporal Inversion Field?? if so it's supposed to be one of the most powerful abilities in PvP. often denounced as OP ;)

the only thing i really have a problem with is the assimilated module in a tac slot. as an eng you'll have a hard enough time doing killing amage anyways, i'd put it in the slot of either the field gen, neutronium or zero piont and leave one of them out in favor of a 4th AP console.

-----------------------------
    concerning the no plasma in PvP issue one might argue that, with the emergence of Elite Fleet Shields, it's becoming less and less of an issue in high end PvP
    however, for the time being i'd stick to AP, Disruptor, Tetryon and Phasers for now

i'll start with the PvE monster:

Cmdr. Tac: TT1, ApB1, ApO1, CSV3
    Lt. Tac: TT1, CSV1
    Ens. Eng: EptS1
    Lt. Cmdr Uni - Eng: EptE1, Aux2Bat1, RSP1

Doffs: 3x Purple Technician (B'tran), RSP doff,

Equip:

Fore weaps: 4xDHC (rom/fleet plasma - [CrtD]x2 / [CrtD])
    aft: 2xTuret (rom/fleet plasma [Acc]x2), Kinetic Cutting Beam

Deflector: Assimilated Borg
    Engines: Assimilated Borg
    Shield: Elite Fleet Resilient / MACO XII / Adv. Fleet Resilent

Consoles i'd start with
    Eng: Mannheim, Assimilated Module
    Sci: Zero Point Module, maybe Plasmonic leech, rest Embassy Plasma (skills i'd prolly take Shield Emitters and/or Flow Cap to increase leech drain)
    Tac: 4x Plasma Infusers of course ;)

-----------------------
    a single Aux2Batteries with 3 technicians should allow you to keep both EptX up and running while also reducing the CD for RSP, ApO, ...
    howerver Aux2Bat builds certainly have their downsides as well (difficult to fly due to more timing-requitrements, low aux cycles, ...) but that's prolly what i'd try first on that ship.
    if you want to take a different route, replace the technicians with damage control engineers and slot an Aux2SIF instead (or Aux2IDampeners + the new doff for longer uptime + energy res, as an eng you prolly don't need the heal anyways)

What are you looking for? PvE, PvP, attempted balance of both?
    While i have neither of those ships yet, i'd be happy to see how i'd build it and share that.

KDF or FED side? (just so i know which consoles you can get for cheap on the exchange, mostly)

looking at the mobius right now, will post a couple ideas later.