During many of the cutscenes of the Freelancer campaign I noticed low quality lighting artifacts appearing on characters' bodies. This is the most noticeable during the Planet Sprague cutscene from mission 6. Look at this video and pay close attention to Sinclair when she moves: - YouTube

I then found another video of someone who recently played the same mission. And lo and behold, the same low quality lighting can be seen (timestamp 19:36): - YouTube

At first I thought it was because the game is just old and the lighting effects probably weren't that good back in the day.

However, I then looked at an older let's play of vanilla Freelancer I made over 2 years ago, and the lighting looked completely fine (timestamp 14:49): - YouTube

Besides, last time I played Crossfire was back in 2017/2018 and I can't recall this lighting bug being present at that time.

One more thing I noticed during gameplay was that my ship got a white hue whenever I docked at a Liberty Dreadnought.

pasted-from-clipboard.pngs

Posted it here because the issues might be related.

I have also tried reinstalling the game and mod, but to no avail unfortunately.

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6 GHz
GPU: Radeon RX 5700 8 GB
RAM: 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 @ 3200 MHz

Crossfire launcher settings:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Freelancer general settings:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Video settings are maxed out.

• which shader option is enabled?

does this happen on other shader options aswell?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• for me the stuff looks normal but I found several articles about your graphic card where drivers are causing similar texture issues

one of the solutions suggests to change Anti Aliasing to "Adaptive Multi-Sampling" under Game settings on the AMD Catalyst Control Center

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try the fix later to see if it works.

But I don't care too much about that texture bug for Reshade DX10 since I don't use that shader normally anyways.

I'm just wondering if there's a fix out there for the lighting bug I originally mentioned in the ticket.

Is that bug present for you as well?

• what i wrote about earlier was about the lighting

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Omg haha :xD:

I have attached the save file. You'll have to fly to Planet Sprague and kill a few Rheinlanders before you can see the cutscene. But that shouldn't be too difficult with this ship :thumbsup:

• what i wrote about earlier was about the lighting

I just set the Anti-Aliasing Method to Adaptive multisampling in the Radeon Software and restarted my pc, but that didn't make a difference unfortunately.

Since this may be a driver issue, I can try to load the cutscene on my laptop which has an Intel iGPU.

• i think it is worth a try

edit: I was able to reproduce the issue on my PC

need to investigate what the source of this problem might be

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Interesting.

Have any changes been made to the lighting effects in the Crossfire mod during 2020?

I found this let's play episode from another YouTuber made in December 2019 where the lighting seems to be normal:

(timestamp 3:42) - YouTube

• Tested on Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Win XP, old driver) and on nVidia GTX 1060 (Win 7, latest driver) with a fresh and updated Crossfire installation.

Lighting is good, same as on the video in previous reply. No artifacts on Dr Sinclair (except the Dom'Kavash one :))

The problem seems to be specific to either AMD GPUs or Win 10.

• Ive not done changes to that at all. Thats the weird thing. But there were changes done by microsoft to the directx render pipeline 1-2 years ago.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I just tested it on my laptop with an Intel iGPU, and the lighting looks good. One thing I should mention is that the laptop is running Windows 10 version 1906. This version is older than Windows 10 version 2004, which is what my main PC has.

I could update my laptop to version 20H2 to see if it makes the issue appear.

• I just tested it on my laptop with an Intel iGPU, and the lighting looks good. One thing I should mention is that the laptop is running Windows 10 version 1906. This version is older than Windows 10 version 2004, which is what my main PC has.

I could update my laptop to version 20H2 to see if it makes the issue appear.

So I just updated Windows on my laptop with Intel iGPU from version 1906 to 20H2. After testing Crossfire post update I can confirm that the lighting is now broken like in the video I posted in the ticket. This means that the issue is 100% related to Windows/DirectX.

• so from build 1906 to 2004

in 2004 dx12 ultimate was introduced to windows 10, maybe that broke something

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• When I first installed Crossfire 2.0.1 I customized the installation and selected the SMAA (Legacy) shaders, there were several fps drops and my ship had a white hue - Using the CF Launcher to switch shaders temporarily improved things but essentially made the game crash frequently - Almost as if the mod was trying to compute two shaders at once. [Unlikely, but felt like it]

Since I reinstalled the mod playing it safe with just 'Full Installation' I've had no issues, hue's or otherwise. I get the odd crash after some hours but I think that's just windows and the games' shaders, because my game typically will only crash when docking or undocking if it does.

If gert has installed CF as 'Full Installation' barring the SWAT-Trent Skin then at the very least windows is being a wimp with the FL shaders by the looks of it, which coincides with crashing during dock/undocking.

Alternatively, if your GFX software control panel is interfering with the game this could also be a culprit.

I wouldn't mind testing the save as well, to see if its just Radeon or Windows

[news]Don't be a menace in mid-west Sirius lead formation to dock an accidental-slingshot of blazing a friend into the planet.[/news]

• I did do a full install of Crossfire, as a matter of fact. In the video I posted in the ticket you can see that I used the SWAT_OP_R8R outfit for Trent. When I tested if reinstalling the entire game and mod would help, I selected the Crossfire Trent outfit, which didn't seem to improve the lighting.

Besides, in one of my previous posts I mentioned that upgrading Windows on my laptop from version 1906 to 20H2 broke the lighting when it looked fine before. Therefore, the issue has to be Windows/DirectX for sure.