opinions

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Simba.

• I have a 450 watt PSU and I recently purchased a Motherboard that requires 300 watts to operate in a stable environment.

With my Nvidia 6200 (turbo cache) AGP, Gig of DDR400, 10k rpm Raptor, I think I need at least 600 watts to make it work proper.

Opinions please

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Im not really sure that u need to upgrade your PSU any more than what it is at already m8, unless each seperate part within ur PC requires a direct link to the PSU other than the standard set-up. unless ur connecting extras like sound card, WinTV cards, Bluetooth etc etc however very few of these parts have ever needed the extra power, so u should be doing fine.

<-------ONCE AGAIN ARISING FROM THE ASHES. ONCE MORE TO KICKS THE CSF's ASS TO THE NEXT SECTOR.------>

http://i024.radikal.ru/0810/0b/985e1e888a76.jpg

<-----------------------------------------------DC Phoenix - General [866][865][866]---------------------------------------------->

[21] Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz - Asus P5KC M/B - Ati Sapphire HD3870 512Mb GDDR4 Graphic Card - Ballstic 4x1Gb DDR2 1066Mhz RAM - 1 x 160GB + 1 x 250Gb SATA HDD - 2 x DVD-R/W Drive - Jeantech Orchid 575w PSU - iCute Custom Case - ACER P223w 22" Widescreen Monitor - Wireless Keyboard And Mouse - 5.1 Surround Sound Setup - Take Pride In Your System And Build It Yourself [21]

• with that video i can say you dont need more poerwerfull PSU if you had 56/59 ultra or 68 or 78 or higher they use share amount of power
    as i understand that 300 watts is estimated for entire system baised on that MB

• MSI based their motherboard requirements as a standard setup at 300 watts.

The Nvidia 6200 requires a 300 watt system to operate, so I assume it actually absorbs a 100 watts +/-

the Raptor is a solid 40w....

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• a 6200 consumes about 90 watts (know what i'm speaking off) and msi bases they're mobo's around 300 watt which is entirely wrong that was the standard wattage for a full pc 3 years ago a decent pc nowadays consumes +- 400 watt (mine (my server here) consumes 470 watt)

you need to calculate what psu u'll need gunny i can't do it for you cause i don't know what's inside you're pc

My life My death My world My Living. Living in the past causes sorrow Living in the future causes hope.
    Which one will You choose?
    Mess With The Best ........................................ Die Like The Rest ........................................

Chief Information Officer of IOC

"We've come a long way since then - We have grown, we have prospered, we have flourished. But we will never forget." - Independent Operators' Consortium

• PC consume much less than power then ppl think. A "Top Gun" setup with two video cards and the stuff you can think about consume about 300-350W. You can run the setup with noname 250W PSU if you want to. Point is that quality PSUs deliver the power they are rated for even beyond it (as example toms hardware has tests on some PSU including the one i use from several years which is rated at Fortron 350W so they pointed out that it can be overloaded to 420W; i'm running the pc in my signiture with this), also quality PSU have better protection from electric network varietys. If the PSU is crap or cant supply enought power then main circuits values will be out of range (check +12V +5V +3.3V values) and it might crash, reboot, shutdown under load.

As a conclustion, check the values, check your PSU manufacturer and if evrything is ok and you dont need a new one.

• my psu gives 650 watt's at overload it's a quality 500 watts and i run a dual gfx card setup with it the gfx cards draw about 230 watts when in full usage(like playing farcry or oblivion)

the only thing you need to be sure off is the amp's on the 12 volt rails (i have 3 12 volt rails on mine (each give 30 amps)

my cpu drains about 150 watts under full usage (and calculate for the rest)

My life My death My world My Living. Living in the past causes sorrow Living in the future causes hope.
    Which one will You choose?
    Mess With The Best ........................................ Die Like The Rest ........................................

Chief Information Officer of IOC

"We've come a long way since then - We have grown, we have prospered, we have flourished. But we will never forget." - Independent Operators' Consortium

• I never paid attention to PSU statistics. I just went to the vendor and he advised me a PSU as the earlier one failed. I installed it, the PC started and I went home. :P:D

THE FASTEST ONE

• Super I admire your spunk, contribution, and willingness to deffy silly conventions, but that thread is something like 341 days old now. I think Gunny has a different PC now than he did then. xP

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• Gunny,

Sadly most are correct mate but? Did they consider the fans in the tower You have? Do you have an alumination as well?

Ok, simple, how many Hard drives you have or DVD drives?

This all effects it!

For example..are you running twin satas..are they mirorring?

Now thats enough to make most rethink but..........What external USB 2.0 you have running?

Essentially my friend you need to think who can suck power like a leeche. Remember basic physics in terms of PC is;

less watts! always = more amps .... which means she is hot!

She is hot means means more dollars and damage!

Not knowing exact details, Ill do my best mate! To help as best I can. Most have a modified off the shelf! Which I know you do not have :)

Knowing what you have told me already ...

NO LESS THAN A 650W!

• PC Power & Cooling silencer 610, silencer 750 Quad or the turbo cool series.

CF Chars: SMG_Simba, Simba[ServerPolice], SMG_Panthera_Leo, SMG_Kovu, SMG_Smilodon, SMG_Nimravus, SMG_Megantereon, SMG_Hoplophoneus, SMG_Ginsburgsmilus, SMG_Paramachairodus, SMG_Lokontailurus, SMG_LZ129_Hindenburg, SMG_Sponsored_By:_Puma, SMG_LZ127-Graf_Zeppelin

SMG Forums