Launcher not updating + IDS? in-game

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by checksinthemail.

• Hi,

My friends and I are trying to play on the Crossfire server, but...

We are all having an issue where:
    1. The launcher loads a blank screen
    2. Eventually the updater appears saying "trying to read update information". It closes down and then loops this process over and over. Nothing shows in the log.

Before the updater appears, it is possible for us to click on single-player or multi-player:
    - in single-player, the game runs but will crash when docking at specific bases, and many items and ships are all called "IDS?"
    - in multi-player, as soon as we leave Manhattan, the game instantly closes down with no error

- We have all ensured firewall is not blocking anything, and that antivirus is not interfering (even turning it off).
    - All attempts have been on fresh installs with no other mods/save files
    - We are using 2.0.1, and have tried multiple install directories just to see if it helped (no change)

All 4 of us running windows 10.

Any help would be appreciated as we really want to try crossfire out

• very strange

A blank screen is very unusual. It means it can not even load ordinary html data.

But since you can write here on the forum (same server from which the launcher gets its data) the reason for that can not be a regional block.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Any suggestions on what we could try to get the launcher working on our end?

I see this thread here: "Only IDS? and missing item name and descriptions for some new cf items?" had a similar issue to us regarding the "IDS?" issue. Looks like some people had success running the launcher on Windows 7, but we don't have access to Windows 7 currently

If we can't get multi-player working I personally would still very much like to enjoy the single-player experience.
    I explored what I could in single-player, but a lot of the crossfire content isn't easy to use when I can't see the names/stats of anything

Is there somewhere I can download the missing files? (assuming that's my issue)

EDIT: Hi Huor - we have tried those latest files as well, same blank screen issue on the launcher unfortunately

• When creating the launcher and installer, both were tested successfully (without the slightest issue) under Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Only reason why installations might not work in my eyes are related to missing permissions on Windows or restrictive UAC settings which prevent the Installer to do important changes.

Ignoring to install the runtimes which come with the mod and which the installer suggests to install also might cause issues but I am not 100% sure about that.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Maybe I'm repeating myself but have you tried installing the game outside of the system partition? Or if it goes to the system partition (C) it must be installed and run with admin permissions. This applies to win 10 and 11.This way, you avoid the system or firewall blocking you from copying files

• Hi all,

I made sure all the runtimes were installed and that my UAC settings were not strict. I also tried on C and D drives with no difference

Anyway, I have made progress on my own:
    I was able to borrow a friends laptop which has Windows 11 on it. The launcher worked fine on his laptop (and was connected to my Wi-Fi).
    Once it had updated all of the files on his laptop, I copied all of the files over onto my computer, replacing my files in my crossfire folder.

Now my launcher works, but it runs extremely slow. It downloads 49 updates when I open it (I assume that's for the dynamic trade goods?) but each update takes about 5-10 minutes, while on the Windows 11 laptop they only took a few seconds each.

My download speed on my computer is about 990Mbps, and nothing else downloads this slow (other games, etc). I am currently at 7/49 for the launcher updates as I type this. Once it is done I will test single-player and multi-player and post my findings here.

Update 1: I canceled the updating at 10/49 and thought I should reinstall crossfire first. I have reinstalled it and copied the working files over. No change to update download speed. I will just be patient and let it finish.

Update 2: Single-player appears to be working just fine now. No more "IDS?" issue. I attempted to start multi-player but now it says it has another 57 updates to do this time... so I guess another long wait to see if multi-player works.

Update 3: Multi-player works - it's just a little annoying waiting 30-60 minutes each time I click multi-player due to the updates constantly needing to be done. I still don't understand why I'm having these connection issues though

Final Update: Updating to windows 11 fixed all our issues.