A few questions, merged in a single thread

There are 3 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Hello everyone ( community and administration / mod developers and everybody else )

First of all, I'd like to express my grattitude for the creation of this masterpiece called "Crossfire Mod" - no words to desceibe how happy I am with the work you guys put in the project... salute you with respect for everything ! I'm considering a donation ( no, I don't want a "p2w", just a donation for the project, to express my grattitude for the mod, so it can keep growing, and expanding ).

With that being said, I have a few, rather silly questions. I have never played Crossfire online ( on the servers provided by the Crossfire team, nor anywhere else ).

I'm runing the game on Linux ( Debian ), and have no issues playing it, at all ( using Bottles, for those interested in how am I playing it ).

What I've noticed is, everytime I start my game ( SP in my case ), the launcher starts do download some files ( 60 files approx. ). So far so good, no problem with that. Today, I decided to see what kind of files is the launcher downloading, for what, and why is it everytime I start the game ( ?! ). Yes, Im using Bottles via FlatSeal ( sandboxing flatpaks, intentionally ).

1. When I looked up the log file, I was wondering... am I blocking the server's UDP response, via FlatSeal ?! -> See the attached logfile.

2. I've tried to connect to the RP server ( followed the instructions by user "FIREDDRAGON478" from April 2011 -> C:\ProgFiles\MS Games\Freelancer\EXE\fldirectip.hta -> added the ip 82.165.193.103, and left the default port in the config file to 2302, saved and closed everything. No success in connecting ( ?! ).

P.S. I'm not using any kind of AV software, and firewall is off

I have an idea, that the reason possibly MIGHT be - Flatseal, since I've configured it to block ANY connection requests when using a flatpak software ( Bottles in that case, to play the game ) -> ( I hate telemetry :) )

So, I can allow connection requests to Bottles, when using Crossfire ( for online activities ), and see if I can connect to the server, but I'd like to know if there is something else I need to do / add, in order to connect to the server ?

Don't hessitate to explain in details, please, spoilers ARE very welcome !

3. Completed the SP campaign. Basically now I'm hanging around with my Lagg, equipped with 2 W'ar Sy & 2 Nes ( Savage & Nepesh weaps ) with some Yakutsk ( wrecks ) missiles :)

Decided to take a short cut to IC, via Coalition space ( the hypergate in New HongKong ) - Access Denied. Makes me wonder... is that a result from the last mission, or corrupted AutoSaves of some sort ?

Not a big problem, since I'm using the tactic to kill 1 Ancient, and fly to Omega-3 ( you get the idea... ), but still would be happy to know if the reason is - the last mission, destroying the power source for the 3 Galactic Hypergates ?

Attaching my .hta file ( renamed in *.hta.txt intentionally ) and the logfile.

Thank you for your help in advance

Best ragrds

Offtopic : Im waiting the moment, when we'll have to use these 3 Galactic Hypergates :) ( Visit some "neighbour's galaxies, ye know :D )

• The download of the files each time is normal since they update the dynamic universe and economy.

I am not familiar with Linux so my answer might just be rough guesses.

FL requires to have the UDP ports 2302-2304 open. Assuming that Linux in some way has a firewall it would be worth checking if the settings there.

It is hard to tell why the hypergate wont let you dock. Maybe there is a leftover in the savegame. But when the story mode is over you actually should be able to dock with it. During the storyline there are times when docking is restricted but not after the completed story.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• !! Update !!

Linux users, using Bottles to play the game !

Important, if you want to play on the Crossfire server.

*Download my *hta file and check the IP which I've manually added there - you'll need to add it in YOUR *hta file* ( PATH is : /.var/app/com.usebottles/data/bottles/bottles/*YOUR_CROSSFIRE_FOLDER_GAME_NAME*/drive_c/Freelancer Crossfire/EXE )

Locate your fldirectip.hta file and open it using Chrome based browser ( I've used Brave ) or vim/nano/gedit... whatever, to check if the IP section is empty ( as it should be ).

Add the IP provided in my config file ( using a text editor ), exactly how I added it ( do NOT attempt any other wizard moves or you'll end up reinstalling the whole thing. We're EMULATING, remember ? ).

Side note : While I was playing SP, I choose Win10. Game runs without problems - completed the campaign with no issues ( excluding the transport to Sol xD ).

Now I have changed the bottle to run like Win7 ( no speciffic reason for that, just a theory ). So if, for some reason your game faces any sort of issues after following these steps, try to run the application under Win7 - should work.

RTFM -> read & double read please

Open up Bottles, select the Bottle you are using to run the Crossfire executable ( No, do NOT run it !! )

Scroll down to the "DEPENDENCIES" menu ( for THAT SPECIFFIC BOTTLE ) and select it

Once inside the Dependencies menu, scroll down unitl you see : DirectPlay -> install it

Wait for the process to complete. Close the Bottles entirely ( "killall" if needed )

Open up Bottles again, run the Crossfire Freelancer exe, select Multiplayer, LAN ( ! Not Internet ! ) - voila !

I'd like to thank SWAT_OP-R8R for the help provided.

In order to check if the application ( Crossfire Freelancer exe ) is establishing connection via UDP port 2302, I had to find a way to check it, since Im sandboxing everything ( means, isolating everything via Flatseal ). His answer gave me the exact information I needed :)

*Check those ports, but no, you're not doing it the "normie way" via terminal ( isolated apps act differently ), use another emulation to "trick" the isolation -> DirectPlay ( flatsealed and configured for my use case. Might not be the same for you, don't worry :D )

Profit - server should be rite dere ! :) n'joy, you're welcome :)

Edited once, last by dconf ().

• well done

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!