Crossfire can't launch

There are 35 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by TriNitroToluen.

• Greetings,

I haven't played for a few years now, so I wanted to check up on the expansions. But i can't get the game started. Tried reinstall, all shaders etc.

I managed to get some logging, which seems I have problem with vanilla dll's but dunno what the issue is

Vanilla is running fine.

Log:

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'moors.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'storyfactions.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'dynastex.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'ShieldOffline.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'jflp.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'chklootvol.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'ammolimit.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'MP3codec.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'RandomJumps.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'EquipMass.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'LaneSpeed.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\DACOM\Dacom.cpp(612) : ERROR:General:DACOM: AddLibrary: unable to load dll 'ShipRange.dll', ignoring...

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\SoundStreamer\NewStream.cpp(50) : ERROR:General:StreamingSound: missing MP3 codec?

C:\work\builds\dalibs\dalibs-build\build\Src\SoundStreamer\NewStream.cpp(50) : ERROR:General:StreamingSound: missing MP3 codec?

:sos::verrueckt:

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• do these files exist inside your exe folder?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• No windows file protection there.

Deinstalled my antivirus and back to Defender. Added "Freelancer Crossfire" as some memory protection.

Added my account to folder security - i used icacls

Now i get this c++ error in attached picture2022-03-03 224116.png

I am reinstalling now

9248-cebc88b9.png

• the file version is ok

the product version has to be 2.0... something point something

this "unable to load dll" is what is totally strange

either the files do not exist or something is blocking the files to load

which version of CF are you using actually? 2.0 or 2.0.1?

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I copied 2.0 to a safe place but it can't update ;) (someone moved the update server). It runs until I launch to space - logging has the same results

Idk if dll properties can be an issue. All of these dll's are missing copyright information in properties.

Maybe I clicked on some "only allow digitally signed" thing, dunno.

My Windows version is an Insider ver. 21H2 build 19044.1566

9248-cebc88b9.png

• A general advice would be only to use version 2.0.1 of CF

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Progress !

Reinstalled all of my Visual C++ packages (2005, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015). I couldn't remember which is used.

So reshade is loading and I got the menu. But that was it - launch to space crashes and new game crashes. Obviously have more errors to fix.

When you got at least 2 error it just get harder and no logic is possible to point at the error(s).

9248-cebc88b9.png

• when exactly does it crash?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• It crashes in startup - I get a small window in upper left corner.

I forgot to mention that I updated jfpl.dll to latest version (1.2.0.5 in jfpl v.1.25). Then the menu works and can start a new game.

Now it crashes when King gives the waypoint to the prisonship :tired:

Ignored dll are in loading order:

moors.dll, storyfactions.dll, dynastex.dll, ShieldOffline.dll, chklootvol.dll, ammolimit.dll, MP3codec.dll, RandomJumps.dll, EquipMass.dll, LaneSpeed.dll and ShipRange.dll

9248-cebc88b9.png

• have you tried to disable antivir while running the game?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Thanks mate, but issues are not graphics related.

Progress:

I deactivated DEP on Windows (reboot, and not sure if it is recommended!).

Reinstalled FL + CF on FATex partition/disk.

Only error now is shiprange.dll won't load, but no problems in SP. My guess is that shiprange is MP related.

These errors are Windows 10 x64 security related. When Freelancer.exe is running, there's an access denied in process explorer. I can upload pictures if required

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Hello SilverFox, I think I have got the same problem ( my background is full of them here ). As a difference, I run parallels desktop on Mac ( which is a new Macbook Air M2 with Parallels installed ) I am glad you solved your problems but I did understand nothing :) I tried the Original FL and it started without any problems but Crossfire won't load. It just says "Crossfire is running" and a minimized window appears on the top left of the screen and Crossfire stops. By the way hello to all it has been years