Textures

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by (IOC)Son of Angmar.

• Hi all, what is the size limit on textures for 3D models in game: 256x256? up to 2048x2048? I would like to know what works.The available information seems to be somewhat ambiguous. The folks here have been at this a long time, figured if anyone would know...

Is there a limit on the .mat exporter for size? Number of textures that can be included per .mat file?

The civilian texture used on the stern of the VHF in the attached needs to be replaced anyhow so I was considering making some upgraded textures for the rest as well. Would like to avoid the trial and error method if possible.

Thanks!

Files

• up to 4096

however 2048 wont work... FL does not really like this size

For ships I would not go that high. maybe 512 max since you simply dont see the details on such small objects anyways.

Mat files dont have a size restriction at all.

In the end mat, cmp, utf, txm etc. are just file containers which dont really care about size.

In case of texture size it comes down to the limits of the graphic card in terms of VRam and max texture resolution. Older cards might reach their limits if you use 4096x4096. In the end every graphic card needs to process the raw data.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Thanks! I'd thought something along those lines. With the tiled textures 512x512 is plenty for detail. I was thinking along the lines of a single texture used per model should it become necessary, but this works fine.

I do build more than kit bashes, but it's more suitable for some of what I want to do at the moment. See attached. When I have some originals finished I'll post them here.

Thanks again!

• It looks very good, nice work on that autocannon! :sehrgut:  S-110