Downloading possibilitys with 1.62

There are 13 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ChiefRedCloud-AGE-.

• Hi to all,
    Still stuck in dial up land,construction work sucks like a hoover but pays like a goldmine (he he)

@ OP and all others, What are your thoughts on a do-it-yourself file transfer scheme for 1.62? Im no computer longbrain like some and just want to float some thoughts.
    Is it possible for 1 person to download 1.62 and then ftp a copy to 2 other people using say Filezilla (freeware) and then those 2 do the same to 2 more people each?
    Obviously a chain reaction effect and individual DSL accounts dont get a hammering like OP's did last month.
    If the file was wrapped correctly it should not corrupt in transit, i think.(dunno,I'm just a plain electrician)
    Something like this could have a lot of benefits too, its something no other mod community has,it promotes contacts and interactions outside the game itself and it shows the world we can find a way around problems.
    Hmmm, Ive reread this and the last bits getting a bit in front of itself. [7]
    Anyway,any coments?

To achieve an advance that cannot be hampered, rush to his weak points.

To achieve a withdrawal that cannot be pursued, depart with superior speed. ?

SUN TZU The Art Of War

• Torrent could indeed be an option. OP could send 1.62 to a few people, so they can host it themselves. And if more people download it through a torrent, more people can share the mod, eventually increasing download speeds and putting less of a strain on people's bandwidth.

This should move the strain from the webhost to the players themselves, so it doesn't go down.

But then ninjas. Thousands of them!

Characters: Drac, Drac_T

Originally posted by Marcos Olivares
    plz. read my post i talked about a Torrent scheme to spread the mod :] :] :]

Yes I read the post. Torrents are not secure and you have little control over the process.Im talking about old fashioned FTP with the transfer passworded. Thanks anyway for your input :D

SUN TZU The Art Of War

• no torrent - no filesharing or anything else

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hi

Maybe you could upload it to Filefront or fileplanet and give that link to lancers

They say that the accounts there are free and unlimited downloads/bandwith

Maybe they even feature it in their news section of something

only trying to help

• no

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• bittorrent would be a great option, because it is often used for the free download of different linux distros because they aren't able to pay the traffic - their software is for free and open source, noone is payed for!

could you explain why you won't choose such a solution? (just for my mind)

Quid agis, dulcissime rerum?

• when i say "no" then i mean "no"
    and i dont need to explain anything

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Can anyone find a >100mb mod avaible to download via bitorrent network? If no.. there`s a reason. That would create a huge amount of leechers... soo many that even 40 seeds wouldn`t be enought.

• Well,... Thanks to all who contributed.
    I must say I'm a little disapointed at the way things got sidetracked into a discussion about Bittorrents and variations of P2P filesharing. I was asking OP his opinion of secure FTP transfer between members of the community to lessen the load in general.

SUN TZU The Art Of War