Heavy Carrier - WIP / progress show

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by The Original.

• Yesterday evening I thought it would be a good idea doing some modeling. Dunno why... I just thought it would be be a good idea to spend the evening. The typical "nothing on TV" situation.

Modding and modeling always was important on this community so I decided to show you how a ship model slowly is taking shape.
    Maybe somebody feels inspired by this thread and starts the first own tries in modeling.
    For all others it might be a little insight on the "evolution of ships".

This is pretty much going to be a "how to draw an owl" tutorial.

So lets start:

No matter what... you have to start somewhere. In this case a simple box.

Next step for me was to shape the nose of the new ship, which I wanted to be a large carrier. The nose also will be the main hangar bay entrance.

Now I decided to shape the front body of the ship. A similar shape can be seen on some coalition ships from Starlancer. I always liked these overlaping structures.

Here I added few first details on the front body part. Still its only the very basic shape.

The lower part also deserves some first details and a first connection to the main body of the ship.

Now I have added more structures to the top of the ship and made the rear part longer so I could shape the main body around it later.

But before the I started to work on the main body I tried to figure out what a good length for such a ship might be. In order to get a good impression I have started to add some engines and took a view on the proportions so far.

Finally its time to shape the basic look of the main body.

More engines and alot of detail work to make them look pretty cool.

Some first detail work on the engine intakes (intakes dont really make much sense on a space ship but they look cool).

Additional detail work on the top engines which connects them to the main full.

The top engines also require some intakes (not they dont but it looks good)... this time with a different shape.
    Also some basic work on the ship bridge / tower was done.

The main hangar bay got a nice force field and the part below the ships front section got further details.

Additional details were added to the main hull and mid parts.

Oh yeah, baby... even more details on the top engines.

Now the ugly box shaped nacelles got their final shape and both serve as additional hangar bays.

Yeah... I guess the proportions fit very well now.

The lower part of the rear section of the ship in my eyes looked a bit too slim so I stared to shape a somewhat more heavy hull below the ship.

Detail work, detail work, detail work. The bridge got intersected to fit windows there (when I decide to texture it somewhen).
    A radar... an antenna and first fat gun.

A few additional details on the rear hull and more guns all over the ship.

Now I added more additional detailed to the front and mid part of the ship and noticed that there is a good spot for another gun.
    Also the nacelles got a few more details at this point.

And while talking about guns... you cant leave the lower part of the ship unprotected.
    As you can see I also added a good amount of details to the lower part of the ship.

A somewhat closer look at the lower rear part of the ship where I added.... I dont know what it is... I just thought it would look good there.

The detail work done to the ship was on the rear hull which so far was look a bit too simple.

Thats it.
    Now someone needs to put a bit paint over it and the ship can leave the shipyard.

Work time... about 5 hours (I am relative slow).
    There is no witchcraft involved... just a mystery box (picture 1) full of possibilities.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Congratulations SWAT_OP-R8R;

And thank you for assembling this page showing each step of your work. Artists never cease to amaze me. My father has been an artist for most of his life but sadly the artist 'gene' missed me by a country mile. I am impressed with your imagination and vision. It will be rewarding to see your work come to life in its execution.

Kudos, MM

• i think there is an artist in everyone
    there are just different types of art

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!