Delta Rising

There are 25 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• So now that Delta Rising is just about out for a week, I was wondering what the community thinks of it so far.

I for my part find the storyline enjoyable for the most part. I’m not all that keen on the patrol missions though. Looks to me like the developers have run out of good ideas to make them into proper story missions, and this is kind of disappointing.

I've been playing the expansion's story for the last few days and I felt the pacing was terrible because of all the grinding I need to get to the next episode.

The good thing, T5-U ships work much better than expected. There is absolutely no need for Mark XIV gear (yet).

Another thing are the STF’s. Normal difficulty is ok, but why couldn’t they have made the Advanced like the old Elite. The new Elite is fine for those who have high DPS and should stay the way it is. The drops are also a little disappointing.

So instead of new "real" content they just recycled what was there by making it harder and reducing rewards.

I'm not going into the storyline as I don't want to spoil things for those who haven't played Delta Rising yet.

What are your thoughts on DR?

• sums it up actually

everything got harder and more complicated
    rewards were reduced... difficulty raised
    story is not that bad but clearly not what they promised
    (you would think that based on the intelligence theme they would have done more but no)

everything in the game all of a sudden has become more expensive while like already mentioned the rewards were reduced

maxing out a char easily costs you 4-5 times more dilithium than one year ago and since you can not avoid crafting anymore it takes ages to get to the point where you have a good ship with good equipment

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I find it OK when they raise the difficulty when you need more time and value to finish. Its kinda challenging. Besides the NWS PVE all the rest were doable. NWS has been the only challenge so far. What is odd on the difficulty - they raised it too much. Advanced PVE are now what NWS was before. I just witnessed one that was finished by the team. During the others the team vanished and so did i after several minutes. Thats kinda frustrating and i dont believe a T6 ship or lvl 14 gear would then make the huge difference. Thats what eventually needs more tweaking.

I also find it odd to go grinding during the episodes just to be able to continue. The episode missions should cover the requirements - all the rest just distracts from the story - unfortunate. They introduced 3 new and famous ST "actors" - but so far its not the enrichment for the story that someone would expect. Am not yet through the whole episode - excited how it develops.

I hope there are some adjustments to the difficult scale - or at least the rewards to keep the pace...

signature.png

• there will be adjustments to the difficutly with the next patch

Hitpoints of NPCs:
    normal -20%
    adv. -30%
    elite +10%

thats it

What bothers me more is that everything has become so expensive.
    Prior season 10 i had a maxed out ship... now i had upgrade it (hint: you can buy ship upgrades on the exchance).
    The T6 ships are under-performing from what ive heard... but they have unique starship traits.
    From what i can see you can slot 4 starship traits... which means you need to buy 4 t6 ships if you want to fill all trait slots.
    With costs of 3000 zen (or 30€) per ship this is certainly not a cheap investment in order to max out your char again.
    12000 Zen for 4 ships and their traits is.... insane.
    You could also buy the full delta pack... that costs 12500 zen but you got a few more ships in it.
    Still the costs are too high.
    If you dont want to buy zen for real money you will have to spend currently about 2million dilithium for it (while you still can not refine more than 8000 per day.... not to mention that currently its hard to earn that much dil).

Next to that you have to upgrade your equipment.
    Best possible is epic lvl14 equipment now.
    Ive of course done the math.
    Of course we start with very rare mk XII equipment ... thats what we already have.
    To MKXIV you need to upgrade 2 levels and for the epic status of the item you need to do another 2 upgrades.
    So you will end with at least 4 upgrades to max out your equipment again.
    The first lvl upgrade is usually not that hard to do. Some items require ~30.000 techxp some others ~100.000. Next level costs the double and rarity upgrades cost even more.
    Its save to assume that a full upgrade per item requires to fill 400.000-600.000 xp.
    You can of course use superior upgrade modules which have 12.000 xp or experimental superior upgrade modules and you can use upgrade accelerators.
    However fact is that you need to be lvl 15 to create such upgrade modules... and fact is also that the components for such modules are extremely rare. So after 3-4 upgrades you are out of resources. Upgrade accelerators are even harder to get... you got some during the event a few weeks ago and you get 2 of them during the new storyline but thats it. The only other way is to buy them from c-store which is very expensive.

In the end you are forced to upgrade with "improved tech upgrades". Those only cover 5.000 techxp so you need for just one item about 80 upgrades.
    that also means that you have to pay 1000 dil for each tech upgrade and infact the best way to get such upgrades (if you can not craft them) is the exchange where one of them costs about 100.000 EC.
    So that would cost you 80.000 dilithium and 8mio EC for just one item.

Well... you have 8 space weapons... 4 equipment items (shields, impulse engines, warp core, delector), 4 ground items (shield, armor, 2 weapons) and 11 console slots to upgrade.
    That are 27 items.
    27x80.000 dil = 2160000 Dilthium
    27x8mio EC = 216 mio EC

If you have these resources + 12000 zen you can restore the status quo where you had your ship maxed out.
    I dont even want to think about the fact that I have pretty much every item set which also needs to be upgraded and that i have 8 toons.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Looking at those numbers means grind, grind and more grind. The cost is not in dilithium, EC or Zen. The actual cost is loss of Fun, because you are going to be too busy grinding.
    I'm working all day, so I don't particular want to come home only to do more work on an online game instead of having fun and relax. So I just keep on having fun and do upgrades as and when I can, if I do them at all. Only time will tell. I might actually die of old age before I get one ship on my main toon done ;-)

• I'm still on the fence about DR, but all of the above comments are pretty accurate so far. I spent a long time on one mission last night vs. The Hierarchy and I have a high DPS ship. I was doing damage, but the regen rate on their cap ship was insane. I would take it down 30% then it would regen 20% a moment later. Drops were standard on Advanced mode, which is disappointing.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• most of the content is unplayable with my ships and equips so...imo, DR is nothing but a dil and ec nerf

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• its worse than expected

i tried to get a weapon from ultra rare to epic (which has cost me 8mio ec and 50k dil so far) but that does not work this way
    its not not that when you reach the tech xp goal your item would upgrade
    the item only has a chance to upgrade

my mk14 ultra rare weapon remained a mk14 ultra rare weapon after this try to upgrade it b
    but with a 2% chance to get a rarity upgrade on the next try

so upgrades to mk14 should be no big deal... rarity upgrades will ruin you
    you should expect costs of multiple mio dil for that

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I've played the first four episode missions and did one run through of borg disconnected.

The missions follow the same template as always: go to green circle, interact, kill red guys, speed through the dialogue. It just takes a little more work and tedium than should be allowed.

The STF was an absurdity of button mashing.

I wasn't even close to maxed-out before this thing came along, but now I have zero chance of doing so. It is clear that the power creep will forever accelerate past my ability to keep up. I've never had more than a million EC and a hundred thousand dilithium. I must abandon my dreams of being a commodities trader and mad scientist. As soon as I max reputation, commendations, and assignments, I'll probably get bored and quit.

• what bothers me most with the PVEs is the reduced dilithium amounts and the briefings
    i mean... in worst case you have to wait a minute before all player accepted the mission... 10 seconds before it launches... then another minute for the briefing
    Of course a briefing is important for players that did not play the mission yet. But it would be better if the waiting time can be skipped when all players have closed the briefing screen.

The Dilithium reduction has massive impact on PVEs.
    Im not sure if you have taken a look at the number of queued PVEs yet... but there are not many.
    I remember times where there were hundreds of PVE players at the same time. But meanwhile there is only a handful of people queueing these mission.
    Where are the players?
    Not on the foundry since the foundry does not work anymore.
    They are also not getting their dilithium from the dyson ground battlezone. I was there last evening and there were only 10-15 zones active. There were times when there were 30-40 active zones. (btw. you will find me there more often in future... i need dil)
    You also dont see that many ppl on ESD or or in sector space and i have my doubts that everyone is playing the story missions atm.
    So... where is everyone?
    Offline?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I'm on level 54 now and about half way through the story line, but I can't say that I really enjoyed it. Apart from a very few missions most are patrolling systems, fly to there killing all enemies and so on.
    Now I'm stuck at level 54 and can't carry on with the story line because I need another 27k experience points to reach level 55 to be able to go on with the story line. That means I need to grind other things to gain more xp. Kinda takes the wind out of the sails.

• Just noticed something else that pleasantly surprised me. I have the Fleet Assault Cruiser on my main character (Science) and bought one upgrade Module to T5-U for it.
    I also use the Fleet Assault Cruiser on my Tac Captain and the Refit version on an Eng Captain. Both received a free upgrade to T5-U. I wasn't expecting this as I was under the impression that I had to buy upgrade modules for them as well.

• ship upgrades are per ship "class" for the entire account

if you have a defiant then all defiants on your account are upgraded with one token
    if you have a ship pack e.g. Odyssey or Vesta then all of the ships in that pack can be upgraded with just one token

you can buy ship upgrades on the exchange (they cost less than 10mio ec) which in my eyes is way better than 700 zen.

btw. ive been trying to get more accurate numbers on gear upgrades:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.…951&posted=1#post20045951

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I've seen your post on the STO forum, but if these numbers are correct, I can't see me upgrading in a hurry as I mentioned in a previous post. Just not worth the hassle tbh.

• Where is the joy of playing, if you can upgrade easily and dont have a challenge to fulfill ;)
    If everything would be easy then you soon will loose interest^^

On that side i can understand why they made it as it is. On the other side i strongly believe that more players would have more joy, if they would tweak one or another part.

signature.png

• I don't have a problem with adding difficulty to the system. After all, if everything would be easy to get and do, where is the challenge? However, the cost and time involved should be achievable within a realistic amount of time and resources. As it is at the moment, it would take the average casual player years to get to the pre season 10 level again.

• im not saying that it shouldnt be a challenge
    im just saying that it shouldnt be frustrating

a game needs to be motivating... you need to see that you make progress
    this gear upgrade system is just one thing... frustrating

As it is at the moment, it would take the average casual player years to get to the pre season 10 level again.

well, my calculation which was very optimistic (as it turned out) was not even based on casual players.
    5,3 hours dilithium grinding per day + x hours trying to make EC.... and that over a period of an entire year (day by day... without exception)
    I dont know how long your day is, but mine is only 24 hours.
    Casual players are online 1-2 hours? Some of course more.
    But that means they need multiple years... IF they dont want to buy ships... IF they dont want to support their fleet.... IF they only have 1 loadout and no alternative equipment.... and if they have only one toon.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well said OP. I only have one or two hours a day after work and maybe a bit more on weekends. At this rate it will take me years to get to the pre season 10 level again. And as you said, I have 6 toons I don't want to neglect as I'm quite fond of them ;-), plus I support the fleet as much as I can as I want to see it grow and prosper as a community. So talking about years is not to far fetched.

• Wow, hit lvl 58 last night and there is a ton of xp I have to get before getting to lvl 59, not to mention lvl 60. And I'm sick of patrol missions already. Well, better get on with it I suppose.

• next nerf
    hangar pets and actually all space combat pets (including saucers) are getting their hitpoints and shields reduced

before they were getting killed within seconds... now they already explode in hangar bay

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,