Reynen Starfyre TNG mod

There are 12 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• I bring this name up as i very recently ran into a post of his on the Star Citzen forum. Now i don't know if he's just blowing hot air to make himself look big, but i question some of his stats, and i quote:

Hello All,

I just wanted to say I am excited to be a part of Star Citizen and look forward to modding this as well.
    Since FL: TNG 10 year anniversary is coming up I redid the site and put back up the mod so people can download it.
    I actually put up the full CD, which was the full physical CD we shipped out when it was available.
    Includes many extras & features that were not part of the original release.

You can get it over @ http://www.starfyrestudios.com

I'm certain for those that remember it was one of the best mods for Freelancer of it's time.
    It had well over a MILLION downloads and ran on over 100 servers at it's peak!

Here was a rough list of what was in the Mod.

• Over 75 new ships added to the freelancer game
    • Flyable Frigates, Cruisers, Battleships, & Battlestation
    • Over 500 new pieces of equipment (Weapons, shields, engines, thrusters, upgrades, and more!)
    • Over 20 new commodities for you to buy and sell
    • Over 40 new music tracks for systems, bars, and intros
    • Over 45 new sounds for various equipment & weapons
    • 10 additional systems
    • 14 additional factions
    • 1 buyable battle station for players (Used to be 3)
    • Core return program for expensive ships
    • A gauntlet in the arena for players to run with over 20 grueling trials.
    • Internal police featuring Starfyre creators & ships
    • New costumes for Trent, Juni, and King
    • An arena system where players can test there metal against NPC or PVP.
    • Planets use a new system for docking, no more old docking rings
    • New Freelancer menu with advanced options (Difficulty level, more graphic, key, & sound options)
    • Player ships now drop loot when killed
    • Greatly improved ship customization options
    • New movement & ship controls
    • Upgraded graphics, sound, and physics engine
    • Revamped single player game with enhancements
    • Massive explosion / weapon enhancements
    • Greatly enhanced “Identity” engine
    • Greatly improved AI tactical & offensive capabilities
    • Improved & more difficult single player campaign mode
    • Anti-Hack / Cheat / Encryption systems to help improve game integrity
    • Police system for administrators
    • New solo missions, Capital ship missions
    • New group missions, Battle stations
    • Different starting ship
    • An extremely comprehensive & detailed manual
    • Full mod support with website & forums, http://www.starfyrestudios.com

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help :)
    Enjoy

Original post here: 302 Found

Now what bugs me is the numbers he's quoting, a million downloads? That's just such bs it's not even funny. Not sure of the total sales of Freelancer but i doubt it was more than 200k worldwide, although i wouldn't mind a more accurate estimate if anyone has some figures they can back it up with. TNG was played on over a hudred servers? i think not.

• a million is a bit much

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• no, such info is not known

however, TNG was a multiplayer mod and even considering the good old times there were only a few thousands players online
    half of the servers during that time were vanilla and the other half was a mix of many different mods

there are mods which have been more popular and .... LONGER than TNG and they are barely reach 1mio

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I'm sure he's on something. I came into the scene on day of release, i certainly don't remember over 100 servers running TNG. Yes it was popular, but not that popular. Like you say, plenty of other mods around at the time to try out. I don't know of any mod reaching 100k downloads, let alone a million. I know my downloads for mods are monitored on my main download site, so i can give accurate figures. I don't remember any more than around 200 servers active at any one time. Why is he making himself seem bigger than he is?

• Crossfire 1.9 Client Version download - Mod DB
    +100k downloads for version 1.9 at moddb (+ multiple other download sources)

im just not sure if counting all downloads of all versions of the mod from all download sources would reach the 1mio
    ... while it needs to be considered that 7 MOTY nominations certainly pushed the downloads

TNG got for a pretty long time no attention anywhere
    Id say these numbers are wish-thinking

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I co-owned gaming house back in that time, and i can say for sure that every PC/user in there was playing T.N.G ~10-15 people just from my place every day .
    List of online people was miles long !
    I do not know how many people actually played , but it was shit load of them online all the time.And many servers ,of which some were overcrowded.And it was hell of a fun.Not like today's mods, takes you either insane grind for little profit f2p syndrome ? Or ai is just too op taking fun out of game.

• if it was so successful and so cool
    why does nobody want to play it anymore?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• It was 10 years ago.Every mod from that period is dead today.Or forgotten.
    Mod was expecting an update to 1.8 which never came out, we played it for almost 2 years.
    At that time graphic was not heaving enhances like it has today.

And i resurrected privately in my place server for T.N.G and i already see few old people wanting to play again.
    So far from it that no one wants to play

• crossfire is more than 10 years old.... and so is discovery
    freeworlds also reaches back to these times

I dont believe in the claims about TNG.... the numbers in no way cover with what we (as admins of the largest modding community during that time) observed.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Oh well i didn't post that to make it into pie trowing competition.

The reason behind longevity of mod is to have updates, if it doesn't people will get filled up and move to another challenges.

But that doesn't say absolutely nothing about quality of the mod.And you can believe what ever you wish for all i care.

Anyway , as i said i honestly don't care about all the little war that is doing on, i just stated my opinion.

Personally i dislike both crossfire and discovery . Cross ai is just op for my taste.While discovery is in similar situation, they are even forcing grinding like madman for little or no reward.

• there is no war... its simply not true what he was telling
    I dont even really care about TNG... its a dead mod and lacks pretty much everything players want to play these days

I higly disgree with your "a mod needs updates"... there are many good examples which would speak against this theory
    at this point i could name again crossfire and discovery which both had no updates for a longer time than TNG had active servers.
    Also in other games you can find many of such examples.
    Its not the amount of updates that makes mods or games interesting... its the content and the gameplay that does it.

It is interesting that you think that there is much grind in CF and Disco... but on the other side.... I dont think that the players of these mods see it in the same way ... they simply enjoy the mods
    Maybe you would have loved to see the mod starting with 500mio$ and the best ship... maybe it was this way in TNG and all the other dead mods... in some for sure...
    and maybe this is the reason why they are dead nowadays...
    the players started with lots of money and an incredible easy game.... then they got bored... and left... thats what i call a very bad quality for a mod
    aswell as i would call it a bad mod if it really requires frequent updates in order to keep players interested
    a mod that can not offer a long term motivation is doomed to die

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,