Most aggravating game ever

There are 40 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gunny.

• So you guys may have noticed I have had some issues playing STO due to crashes. I have been working on that problem with the Cryptic "support" guys for the last 2 weeks. I have to say...there is not one iota of useful information from them yet. After todays server meltdown...it looks like I have to reload the game again. NP you say?...guess what...the only way I have found to install the game with reduced crashes is to have the settings of disable on demand patching (which is SUPPOSED to DL all the files) and force verify enabled. This has drastically reduced the amount of crashing.....but takes 4-5 hours.

I have provided all the attachments they have ever asked for....they wanted crash logs, dxdignosis files, complete list of hardware, hijackthis files, screen shoots of the crash notice.....all were provided.

Their latest info to me was to change my browser?????? WTF????

On top of that they keep fucking up the server anyways with not being able to install equipment that doesn't fail after 2 or 3 days....WTF????

And these monkeys want me to spend money buying stuff from them???

I have run every conceivable test of my equipment and am 99.99999999999% sure my crashes aren't caused by my pc. No errors running any overnight stress tests on memory, motherboard, hard drive etc.

All crashes say "error decompressing...bla bla.......I am at wits end on why, any ideas are welcome since I am getting no constructive feedback from Cryptic ( absolutely appropriately named !!!!!!!)

Edit....finally get back in game just to find that I lost things.....great :(

Edit 2....afraid to look and see what the fleet lost

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

Edited 2 times, last by Marauder: add, add ().

• I used to crash too... not as much as you Mara but I would get the occasional bump when switching maps and such. Then, about a month back, my HD crashed [as I stated in another thread] and had to reinstall everything from Windows up. Since then, I have not had one single crash. Whatever it was that was causing my crashes disappeared with my old HD. A fresh Windows and drivers fixed whatever it was that was wrong.

I can completely sympathize with your dilemma as I've been there myself, but let's check the facts: a bunch of us are playing crash-free with the same game you are playing. Logic states that it's not the game, otherwise, all of us would be crashing. I truly wish I could tell you exactly what the problem is but I cannot. I can only say that "something" in your install of Windows doesn't like it when you change maps. My educated guess? Drivers. I know you've tried the newest drivers and then tried older drivers and such. However, my 30 years as a PC tech tells me that uninstalling and reinstalling drivers can literally corrupt and even destroy the registry. The uninstall programs don't always remove old registry entries and files as they should. Reg cleaners are useless for the most part as an old registry entry that references an existing driver is still a valid entry, and will not be touched [even tho it will likely cause problems].

So, this old techie with 3 decades of dealing with this kind of crap says: quit dicking around with these little fixes and try thises and try thats... your Windows has a crack in it. Just replace it. Back up bookmarks and other personal data on a usb stick, wipe the effin' thing and put on a fresh install. Remember how fast and responsive your computer was when you first got it? It can be that way once again! :D

Note: I do this on purpose every couple of months because I like to install and try new software/games and play with drivers and such then they get uninstalled. I know, from experience, that not everything gets removed. This "junk" accumulates and slows things down / causes problems and conflicts. It is unavoidable. And the only way to get rid of it all is a clean Windows.

• their suggestion to change the browser might be related to the STO launcher which works kinda like the one that CF uses
    but i can not imagine that this would prevent game crashes

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hmm, weird, I don't remember any crashes last time I was around STO. Probably newer updates bugged something up.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I will probably have to try what Rex suggested. I'm not sure how long that will take so I'll try and put it off for a few days and start figuring out what all I need to back up....arr, doing this is always a pain in the butt for me and I always seem to forget to backup something and then am bummed when I get stuff running again.

"marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• No it doesn't Michael. It only fixes the errors that it's programmed to find and cleans out some temporary files. I think Mara already tried it and it didn't fix him.

• I use CCleaner regularly.....doesn't seem to help with this. I have messed with every setting and now it seems to run much better...but still a crash now and then. I may just live with it this way for awhile as I really hate the whole backup and reinstall thing...oh well.

• Well, right, it doesn't fix registries and some advanced / deep stuff unless you make it do so, even so, it won't fix everything, but it sure helps a lot and so I could spend years with no slowdowns, without having to formatt everything.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• What operating system do you have? I play STO all the time, simply don't have any issues at all. People i've encountered with problems are the ones who use upgrade disks for windows. For instance, you run XP, get a vista upgrade cd. Then a year or two later, you upgrade vista to Win7 and so on. I have a Win 7 64bit laptop, STO crashes maybe once a month if that. Never lost anything in game, all good. I use Chrome as a browser as well

• Well, I had it running pretty good for several days then it started crashing again. I stress tested all hardware components and haven't been able to find a single error anywhere. I'll spend time now backing things up and go for a complete reinstall with step by step testing of everything in the pc. I have windows XP pro sp3 disk and shouldn't have any problems with regards to that end of things. I was also running chrome as my browser. I decided I might as well partition my HD differently anyways and going to make a disk image to an external drive when I get everything reloaded.
    Kinda came down with some kinda stupid flu so it may be a couple days before I see you all again in game. I hope this will straighten out my crashes!!

Oddly...as side note....in the supports last message to me...they recommend removing Panda Media Booster from my system....thats super funny since it was put onto my pc by STO

I saved a copy of what Panda dl's (the first main part of the game) so I shouldn't need to have Panda whatsoever involved this time around, I also copied the pre-patch folder and hope That will also save some dl time and bandwidth

Cya all a day or few

• lol

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• try psiexec to remove all related to STO in registry or whatever u think that u cant uninstall...coz in this way u can make procedures on registry like "system" instead admin..probably there are some null entries that others programs cant delete it...this command help me alot also...

Looks like that game is messier and harder to install/debug than Crossfire

Apparently...that's true only for me ^^

Anyway, it's time to do major cleaning of pc...I haven't consolidated/cleaned things up since January 2009...I suppose it was time to start having some type of issues.

• That's a bad solution if you (you in general mode, not you Cro) already installed the operating system last time, and you got errors in stuff. If you did it wrong the last time, it will go wrong this time, unless you study on how to properly install the Operating system including the secondary programs required, and their order.

• So I did complete re-install of win xp and everything. Other than the fact that the server hasn't exactly cooperated and there are outstanding bugs in the game...I still have really oddball crashes. What's new...the cryptic error reporting actually works and I send these.....takes 20-30 mins with all the crap they want.....but still no clue why I have these crashes.
    I have run every diagnostic I can think of...memory (memtest 86+) Hard drive (manufactures test + several others) etc. etc
    I have run progies in background to monitor GPU, CPU etc. temps.....never got any readings anywhere near "too" hot on anything

Pulling my hair out...I have removed all hardware and cleaned all contacts before putting back together....no change

I can only think that either something I can't tell about mobo (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P) is not right or maybe I am getting a problem with my PSU? I don't have good diagnostic tools for the mobo...I can pull the PSU and break out the multimeter. (Idn't have a plug-in PSU tester)....but if you guys have any input I'd really like to hear before I go that route.

I only ask because after several weeks go around with the monkeys at Cryptic, all I can say is they are worthless #$(*S that have no clue about anything...and if you keep asking them for help....they close your ticket and say you didn't respond in time. TBH...they didn't respond in time...then sent me notice that my ticket is closed.

So any ideas, thoughts, etc. would be appreciated......I must have missed something in diagnosing the problem....now I can't see the forrest for the trees