Graphical troubles on clean CF/FL install

There are 154 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• I reinstalled my computer 3 times now (twice for FL, once because I fiddled too much with components without restoration points... What an idiot). Tried multiple drivers, can't do much with DirectX since it comes packed (version 11 of course.) with Seven, the only thing I can do is upgrade it (DX8, DX9 and such only say "A newer version is already installed" and because it is integrated in Seven, I can't uninstall it. Microsoft...).

I've got everyhing the game need, benchmarked my CG to find if it could mess up textures and couldn't see anything wrong. FL is the only game who fail to render HD textures.
    Hm, I also had troubles with the game BULLY and had to patch it as the textures jacked up because of my RAM being way above the game limitations. Maybe FL is having something relative to it ? I have 32gb RAM, could the game don't know how to handle it ?

• If you remember when I said that at some game it was requiring some files from DX9 to make it work, there are fixes for DX9, when is needed, I just googled it and got few dll files or such that I had to copy.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Kolfrad and Torben11: On the Options - Performance tab: do you a line saying 16-bit Dither Enabled/Disabled. This does not appear in 32-bit, that is.
    I think that there's more than 1 problem here. There usually are then things are this "strange", in my experience.

DX9 download and Install is possible with Win7: Download DirectX Redist (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• On the Options - Performance tab: do you a line saying 16-bit Dither Enabled/Disabled

Yes, I do have this line...

DX9 download and Install is possible with Win7: Download DirectX Redist (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Installed it but it didn't corrected anything.

I'm running dry on ideas now :(

• I have some more ideas :)
    torben11 please upload Options/General picture

1. Is monitor connected only with DVI and original monitor cabel is used (if not please do that) ?
    2. Does keystroke CTRL + F12 or CTRL + T have any effect ( 3D commands ) ?
    3. SHIFT + F12 does nothing to the picture ?

I just had a weird experience with my secondary pc (Asus Sabertooth Mobo and GTX 580). I have a OCZ 1 TB hybrid disk in that machine, which is slowing it down (the weird part). I started a new SP game and got the same white squares in intro movie and no clothes (all white) in the bar (the experience).
    4. Do any of you have general performance problems ?

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Going to try out all that though i have no performance problems that im noticing

//Edit : Im using my HDMI Slot because for using my pc im more or less using my TV which works for both maybe thats it but that would be stupid :D

• About the 16bit part, it only appears if you don't have 32/24 depths in the ini. Switching from 16 to 32/24 removes the line.

1. Is monitor connected only with DVI and original monitor cabel is used (if not please do that) ?

Tried on my two screen (One HDMI, one DVI), issue still present.

2. Does keystroke CTRL + F12 or CTRL + T have any effect ( 3D commands ) ?

3. SHIFT + F12 does nothing to the picture ?

Shift + F12 just toggle the ENB shader I guess, CTRL + stuff don't do anything.

4. Do any of you have general performance problems ?

Out of FL, nothing at all.

To recap :

Specs :
    - Motherboard : ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    - CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X - 3.30GHz
    - Memory : G.Skill Ripjaw X - 10600 - CAS9 (8*4Gb, 32Gb)
    - Graphic Card : Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom - 4096 Mb
    - Operating system : Windows 7 - Ultimate 64bit
    - Screen : Dual 27' monitors

Installed :
    - DirectX 11 + DirectX9 linked earlier post #83
    - Nvidia Drivers version 314.22 (Along with 3D drivers but not using Stereoscopy)
    - Microsoft Visual C++ Redist version 2005/2008/2010 (both x86/x64)

Missing something else ?

Edited once, last by Kolfrad: "Reason of editing (optional)" ? Yeah right. ().

• I dont see anything that we are missing but there has to be something missing since Underverse ( just tried that mod out to see if that works ) has white models too

• Yes, and it could be really good, for people who get this problem in the future, if one of you with this issue could find the issue after investigating it. By now we know it is not an issue at the game, as you even got an already installed working Crossfire folder, and we also know for sure it is not the Hardware, but it's at the PC's software, some program, some settings...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I think there is just some stupid programm missing
    I dont know which game it was but there was some game that didnt work on my PC until i turned down my Audio channel thing o-o

• No they either in tga or dds mode further packed into a container format file. TIFs are as far as i know not supported in this engine.

Sorry if i ask and you probably already tried: Have you tried to disable physx? You can set the graphic details in the control panel for nvidia for the game as well as for global settings. Try to deactivate one setting after the other for freelancer to find out if one of the settings there might affect it.

signature.png

• But why would it only fail in Underverse and Crossfire? All the other Mods ( that i tried out like freeworlds and origins and so on ) Worked fine

• Have you tried to disable physx? You can set the graphic details in the control panel for nvidia for the game as well as for global settings. Try to deactivate one setting after the other for freelancer to find out if one of the settings there might affect it.

Tried both again but no, nothing really affects it. Putting everything to Disabled (Or low when it can't go under) didn't changed anything at all...

Shame of the .tiff, I'm having some troubles with them on another game (But I now think it is the game wich is at fault here.) so it might have been a lead.

But why would it only fail in Underverse and Crossfire? All the other Mods ( that i tried out like freeworlds and origins and so on ) Worked fine

Experienced the same and I looked their textures, most of them are half the size of the CF ones. Other never go over 512*512 (Around that.) against 1024*1024 for CF so I think it explains why others are working better (At least in your case, I still get some HYPER LOW RES textures on some, like Genesis on one of my earlier post).

• Kolfrad: I don't understand your MOBO.
    Notes for it is:
    *1-1 This motherboard is ready to support PCIe 3.0 SPEC. Functions will
    be available when using PCIe 3.0-compliant devices. Please refer to
    ASUS for updated details.
    *1-2 For PCIe 3.0 x16 (X8 mode), PCIEx8_2B(Grey) shares bandwidth with PCIEx8_2A(Red).

Yet your GPU-Z is showing PCI-E 2.0x16 @ x16 1.1 (power save mode!) - If you start the rendering does those values increase (as they should to PCI-E 3.0x16/8 @ something ) ?
    Are there any recommendations from ASUS where to put a single GPU card ?

9248-cebc88b9.png

• *1-2 For PCIe 3.0 x16 (X8 mode), PCIEx8_2B(Grey) shares bandwidth with PCIEx8_2A(Red).

Related to Tri-SLI (or ATI equivalent) I guess, I remember the second red slot goes down from x16 to x8 when you plug in three cards.

Yet your GPU-Z is showing PCI-E 2.0x16 @ x16 1.1 (power save mode!) - If you start the rendering does those values increase (as they should to PCI-E 3.0x16/8 @ something ) ?

GPUZ when rendering : PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @ x16 2.0

Does yours show as PCI-E 3.0 ?

Are there any recommendations from ASUS where to put a single GPU card ?

As you suggested in your post (#25), I swapped the card from first slot to the second and the third, getting the same GPU-Z results. It is back to slot 1 now.

Once again, I am not sure the problem is hardware side since every other game is working perfectly fine. If power-eaters like Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Arma 3, DCS A-10 and such are running fine with no slowdowns or no texture messups/artefacts, why would FL with the CF hd textures only ?