Graphical troubles on clean CF/FL install

There are 154 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• I went ahead and tried some things (mostly related to Hardware acceleration) like disabling DirectDraw and Direct3D, installing older drivers etc Nothing new.

I tinkered with the game files a bit (commenting/editing .inis), as always I found out some "fun" things :
    - No matter what I do, the game put the depths at 16 and advanced_graphics at 0
    - I can empty the flconfigdatabase.txt, the game won't say anything about my card being not compatible. I also tried to add some of the compatibility flags you can find at the top and the game completely ignore anything I can do with it.
    - I checked the problematic textures using UTF Editor so I can see if it is a corruption/installation issue but no, the textures are fine.
    - I noticed the creation of a new folder called "EXE2" when I run the game. Again after a bit of tinkering, it seems created by CF launcher. Not sure why but I'm sure there is a good reason. I was just thinking that, if the launcher copy files and start the game from here, the -dx shortcut is useless. And since the folder is deleted when I close the game, there is no way I can test things.

As SWAT said earlier, at least one part of the big troubles are the game that doesn't want to render 1024*1024 textures.

• The game doesn't need any changes, the issue is from outside.

Anyway, if you think it's because of Hi res textures (even though I think it's not about that), you can easely activate the mod using low res textures and low card compatibility, and such :D And see if it works better or not.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I tried to run FL+CF with all the compatibility options activated (Old card, No Shader, No HQ Effects, Low res Nebulas) with multiple settings :
    Respectively 16bit depth - Low | 16bit depth - High | 32/24bit depth - High

Menu :
    16-16-low-menu.png16-16-max.png32-24-max-menu.png

FP7 :
    16-16-low-fp7.png16-16-max-fp7.png32-24-max-fp7.png

FP7 Explosion :
    16-16-low-fp7-blow.png16-16-max-fp7-blow.png32-24-max-fp7-blow.png

Even with compatibility mod, I still get these damn squares. If only I could get at least non square explosions, the game would be playable (Right now, when something explode, I can't see anything I'm doing with the huge square thing hiding the field view...).

• I actually remembered something, did you unpack the mod in the correct adress ? You don't have to change the adress at all as it needs the main FLMM folder, not the "mods" folder as some would guess, as in that case they are in a wrong order and the install will fail.

It can be checked easely, look if inside FLMM's folder, right there next to "FLModManager" application, there are files like "Crossfire 1.9 website" and "SWAT Portal" and 2 uninstall apps. Then, inside the "mods" folder, there should be a "Crossfire1.9" folder with the DATA, DLLS and EXE folders, with 7 files, no less, no more.

When you have FLMM started, in the mods list, it should call the mod "Crossfire 1.9 Client Edition", instead of just "Crossfire 1.9" like when the unpack is failed.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• inside FLMM's folder, right there next to "FLModManager" application, there are files like "Crossfire 1.9 website" and "SWAT Portal" and 2 uninstall apps.

Check, I also have XCrashReport.exe, don't know if it comes from FLMM or the Genesis Mod.

inside the "mods" folder, there should be a "Crossfire1.9" folder with the DATA, DLLS and EXE folders, with 7 files, no less, no more.

Check for the CF folder and its content.

in the mods list, it should call the mod "Crossfire 1.9 Client Edition"

Check.

Back to the hardware <-> game relation I guess...

The thing that's making me mad is, WHY, OH WHY, FL is the ONLY game, on more than a hundred counting local and steam ones, that's the ONLY one I have huge troubles with. Hell, I even run abandonware with DOS/Win 95 games with less crap going on. Older games like Baldur's Gate I and II, Vampire the mascarade or Crimson Skies are running fine.

• I just know it must work, as it CAN work, but I am not sure what caused THIS bug.

Your file are correct, with the Xcrash which is from CF, or FLMM, since I got it.

Are you really sure you ran everything as Admin ? xD I mean, including CF itself...

We can discard that is a technical issue with hi res textures if you install CF with the low settings, Deactivating "Hi Res Effects", as well as compatibility to low cards, and such. Yeah, that option about effects should change something about it.

• I am dead sure about running everything as admin ( and UAC has been disabled the first second I got my hand on Windows XD).

Yeah I know it can work, I'm running Seven since it came out in '09 and I did play FL without graphical glitches (Vanilla AND modded) in 1920*1080 once or twice, less than 6 months after Win7 release. The thing I don't get, is : if it came from the game being not "compatible" with my hardware to able to render textures properly, the vanilla ones would be messed up too since they are not made of magical graphics...

Damn, I never went through this much steps and troubleshooting for anything in my entire life I guess I NEED to play it again XD. Vanilla multiplayer was so awesome, ambushing NPC trains from broken lines as Rogues do and fleeing from "cop" and "bounty hunters"... Strict RP rules were enforced (mendatory, without a mod to manage this kind of jobs/roles) but it was really good and I'd like to have this much fun again (Not helped by some stories I can read here !) !

• It is not an incompatibility thing, it ran on my GTX 650, it can run on GTX 680.

There is some setting that is not done, and needs to be fixed...

• Im just going to give... well zero fucks and wait for 2.0 to be released lets hope its fixed in that Version ... atleast whatever had to be fixed ... or so

• It is not really a Crossfire bug... it could probably get avoided somehow, but it's supposed to be a PC issue, not Crossfire's bug.

• To be 100% sure that it isn't a FL or CF problem, i have uploaded a copy of my Freelancer folder (working CF installation) and shared it with Kolfrad and Torben11.
    With working i mean on Windows 7 ultimate and GTX 580/660ti.

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• To be 100% sure that it isn't a FL or CF problem, i have uploaded a copy of my Freelancer folder (working CF installation) and shared it with Kolfrad and Torben11.
    With working i mean on Windows 7 ultimate and GTX 580/660ti.

Tested with it and, yeah not working either. A big thank you anyway !

• Since it's a PC config issue, an uploaded game will surely not work, but just in case, nice try.

SilverFox: It would be cool if you keep that folder uploaded, just in case, but it probably won't be needed for a while, so hopefully where you uploaded it, is not a limited site, or that has inactivity auto-erase or such.

• white textures are result of the graphic cards inability to read textures above a certain size
    even some newer cards are released with relative low texture limits

i could not find much information about that for your card but personally doubt that this is the case
    its worth to check if other drivers will lead to different results, it also would be good to test if the vid memory is working as it should

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• GTX 680 must work since my GTX 650 worked.

The thing is, if you seen other people's experiences above (2-3 examples), is that on the same PC, for a while, Crossfire worked just fine, then after formatting and reinstalling Windows and all, CF stopped working, giving these white boxes, white textures on characters and such. So, the graphic card definately did not suddenly lost the hi res textures support.

• .. drivers...

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Installed... at least in my old PC's case as well as Kolfrad's case (who made this thread, dunno about the other people. The install also had low settings and low card compatibility enabled, and any CF textures were white, even though the install was correct, admin rights, and the installed Freelancer folder has the correct 5.22 disk size, like in Kolfrad's case.

But the same thing on the new PC worked just fine, and I installed everything on this one too, since I built it.

There is something we are missing here, the issue is in the PC, not the game, and it should be a setting, missing config, or so... and the exact same bug happened several times before.

• So i reinstalled some stuff ( meaning just installed them again over the new install to check if they were alright ) like microsoft visuals and all that stuff And it still doesnt work I btw have the problem that its constantly running on 16 bit instead of 32 even i i go into the Perfoptions and change it to 32 24