Mothership concept

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• -=[The Mothership]=-

I. Introduction
    II. Background story
    III. Affiliation

IV. Purpose of The Mothership
    V. Location
    VI. Specifications

• Design
    • Shield
    • Hull
    • Weaponry

VII. Drops and Loot
    VIII. Calculations and balancing
    IX. Pros and Cons
    X. A few words

XI. Credits

The development of The Mothership concept depends on a lot of things. I'll try to get the idea well formed in my mind and then share it with you. I currently have a few things, but they require additional research on my side so I can link the elements properly to one another. I really count on the Crossfire community to help me out when I need assistance as due to my long absence, I missed out a lot of things.

Current details that need more research:

Correct affiliation;
    Location of The Mothership - will be quickly resolved once the affiliation is set;
    Specifications: design (check with OP), shield (depends on calculations), hull (depends on calculations), weaponry (depends on the calculations of the mostly used ships and their stats);
    Drops and Loot: check with OP about what is about what's the new equipment that will be added to Crossfire 2.0;
    Calculations and balancing (hardest part, doh): selecting the mainly used guns, missiles, torpedo launchers and mines on the server. Their damage output per minute (for guns) and per hit (for missiles and torpedos); Selecting the mostly used ships (including gunboats, destroyers, bombers and battleships, and calculating their hull and shields stats;

Proud member of the Independent Operators' Consortium ever since day 1 in Crossfire. :herz:
    In-game characters: (IOC)Tyrael, (IOC)HimejiFortress

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” Sun Tzu

Edited 5 times, last by (IOC)Tyrael: formatting ().

• reserved.

Proud member of the Independent Operators' Consortium ever since day 1 in Crossfire. :herz:

• reserved for additional details!

• reserved for more details. I didn't know that when you post two replies with the same content, the one is disappearing :/

• moar reservz!

• Reserved -_-

Btw I guess the Dom Razak, Dom Setek, Dom Nepesh, Sentinel, Warrior, Savage and such outer galactic races and their motherships are not part of this ?

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Uh, no, I guess. I haven't even heard of them xD That's the part where I need help of you. They have mother ships?

• So you really ment that you are inactive for years now... cus those are since 2 CF versions ago, it's from where "Warsies" come.

Yes, those have the top Motherships, while Ancients have no mothership. That station they have near the sun, known as a broken Mothership, dunno, it's hard to count Ancients having Motherships when you never seen one in action.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Okay, how hard it is to take down those motherships?

• Pretty harder than DK motherships, these outer galactic ones have better weaponry.

It's also why the Dom Kavash were in fact our allies, only having the Nomads to defend certain systems, as well as training the human kind in space combat, advancing our technology by ourselves (with that push), and etc.

Now that we are above their Nomad pets, we are able, and requested to join the DK forces and help protecting our Galaxy from those intruders, which mainly, were able to come here thx to the DK's technology. Also learning that we exist because they allowed it, by abandoning sectors of the galaxy due to them being the only race, alone, with their wars and conflicts solved, they noticed it was better allowing life to grow again, different than their own race.

You could have fun checking this pdf, " SAL_Xeno_Field_Manual_v1.1 ", mainly by Orion, with SA, and in cooperation with CFPD, Huor and Maxbur.

Here in the downloads section: index.php?page=DatabaseItem&id=1067

It's 27 pages, so take your time. You can skip any SA advertisement if you find any :P

I don't really understand the part of "Calculations and balancing" though, all of that is already established, at moments it looks like you plan to create a new one rather than making a database for the existing ones.
    But if you need the current mothership's intel, I can give it to you, with the math and all. Just that the part of damage output / second is not calculable (just aproximated), because they can't fire with all the guns at once on a target, if you are down it could only shoot with like 5 weapons, since the rest cannot turn into that direction, and so on. A total damage output is easy tho, just summing each gun's output.

• That's quite a lot of information on that .pdf file, I must congratulate everyone who took part in creating it. It's an amazing work, well done! Too bad that my ignorance towards Crossfire might turn this idea into outdated.

Anyway, here's my idea briefly:

Creating an amazingly powerful NPC ship (Mothership sounded quite terrifying, that's why I picked it) that drops a good load of guns (or other tools) and cargo which could be high profitable or really strong. The tricky part is that the ship is actually so strong, both as hull and damage towards enemies, that you will actually need a good group of pilots flying different ships so that you can combine your damage with the survivability and repairs so well that the group stays alive until the NPC ship is dead and the cargo is taken.

In my mind I had the idea of putting different vessels into work, such as the bombers, destroyers, battleships, repair ship and so on. I was imagining it as a good group that consists of a few bombers carrying Coalition torpedoes (high spike damage), battleships and destroyers (good damage and survivability), VHFs (good damage and chance to evade the enemy fire) and repair ships to keep up the good conditions of fight (quite squishy and need good positioning far from the enemy line of fire).

This, of course, causes a few problems:

It'd be an expensive trip, the drops must be able to cover it and even provide profit;
    Players might be frustrated due to the high difficulty of the endeavour and, even if it becomes reality, the ship might remain untouched forever;
    Accurate or close to accurate calculations of the delivered and taken damage by both the NPC ship and the players - finding the perfect balance between impossible and hard - I don't want to fight a freaking ION cannon;
    Correct spawning of the NPC ship and possible spawning of additional hostile targets that might turn the experience into a tragedy - no one would like fighting two motherships ships at the same time, am I right?;
    Probably more problems that we're yet to face if you guys are willing to see where we can bring this concept up to.

• Though so, you said it on the other thread.

I don't want to fight a freaking ION cannon;

Why not ? They are not like before, at least not like the Dom Kavash Disruptors that desintegrate your ship at 10k around the Hyperspace Doom gate ( I bet you remember that one ).

This is mainly a big problem around, balancing. The trip to Inner Core already requires several people to go together for some action, but most people, after few of those group tries, already adapted into surviving in there alone, no matter what. Many of us, hunting them for their guns, and some of us include the capital ships like the Motherships, they actually seem easier than their fighter/bomber wings as it doesn't move that much and you can hit them, while the fighters may be at your tail before you notice it, and firing at your ass without missing much (like the big capital ships).
    So in the end there would still be some crazy dudes (or just skilled ? :P ) who will manage to play even with the Dark Reign Ion cannons, or the ones in Omega 3, and survive as long as possible, since they can't be destroyed (well, the Dark Reign ones yes, a way of being disabled).

Miner Event turrets are actually perfect for this type of stuff, a capital ship putting it hard for players, but for it to be "efficient", it must be piloted by a human. I still remember when I was piloting such Miner, against the other side which was a Battleship as the 2nd Event Miner was not available, several players tried to get me down, but being disorganized, they came 1-2 at once as some were on defending their BS, and making the trip just to get sniped 1K far, until they all came at once, THAT was when the fun started, especially for them, but as well for everyone, as the Miner also had the players defending it.