Window$ to Linux

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by {LP}50Pack{X}.

• I would like to introduce you to my laptop; a 4 year old HP Pavilion dv4. So far all the models made by me for CF 2.0 were created and rendered on this.
    Now that i have built my own gaming/editing rig, this noble machine will no longer be needed.
    As you can see above, my poor Core 2 Duo reaches temps that are sufficient to make some morning tea by just browsing the internet. I mean 50 - 60% CPU usage for watching youtube videos? Dafuq?

I have considered doing many things with this laptop rather than simply binning it; such as making it a Wifi extender, a home server, an HTPC or just simply taking the very organs out of it putting them into my desktop. But i guess i still need something to carry around with me for my school projects and i have no intention of buying a totally new laptop just for that, nor buying a new activation code for this current one.

So this shifts my attention towards install Linux. Linux Mint 14 to be exact. As my laptop becomes older, so does it's mighty processing power (hurr durr). Linux caters to such a non resource intensive environment. All my documents are done on google docs, so Microsoft Office was never in the picture.

My question is:
    Does anybody on this forum use Linux? (dont tell me on your Android phone, I mean as a proper OS on a laptop or desktop -_-) If so, how is your experience with it? How is the GNU interface? Should I change over to Linux?

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• Don't worry about temps - the HP bios will shutdown the computer, if any risk of overheating (aswell u can't overclock an HP :( ).
    You do have a valid Windows Vista license (ID on computer), but that OS is nasty (but works) :) - maybe u can find a cheap upgrade somewhere.
    Linux distributions works just fine (true 64-bit OS), but it takes some time to get used to it. If you have the OS recovery disc from Vista you can try it out and rollback later.

Good luck.

Edit: laptops collect a lot of dust inside computer - remove with an airblow of some kind -> temps will drop

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

Edited once, last by SilverFox: Edit ().

• If you're interested, just give it a try. You can always revert later if you don't like it.
    From what i gather you want to use that machine for i think you should be just fine.
    I should note, that i have no experience with Mint, but i've used a number of Debian based distributions in my time and they all seem to have become much more usable for "non *nix experts" during the last 10 years.

IMO it's worth a try, go for it ;)

Characters: SA_WHISKY and all simlar (SA_something_WHISKY)

• A very cool feature is that you can run the OS off the live CD and get a feel for it without installing anything... Very useful :p

[box=yellow]A Proud Member of the Lost Prophets Pirate Clan![/box]

[box=blue]Also Proud Leader of the CSF Faction![/box]

{LP} is recruiting! Please visit here for more details!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!