Performance Issues in Nebula and Dust Clouds

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gunny.

• Hey everybody,

I am new to this forum and new to Crossfire 1.9! But since Freelancer was one of my favourite games for a long time, i wanted to try it again! Now I'm having some performance problems and couldn't find anything that helped!
    I have a laptop 4gb ram, intel core i3 with 2.13 GHz and an Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5430! I also edited the flconfigdatabase, so my graphic card would be recognized. I installed the mod several times with different settings (dynamic lights on and off, and the advanced textures on and off...). Right now, i have everything disabled (Dynamic Lights, Advanced Textures,etc.) and the older graphic cards compatibility mode on. But my problem is, that in nebula clouds or dust clouds, my performance drops and the game doesn't run smoothly, so it makes it very hard, to fight against enemy ships. Is there anything I can do? Have you ever heard of this problem?
    Would be glad about some help :)
    Thanks!

Ps: I hope, that this is the right thread for this request!

• you can lower the graphic settings on the options if this is still an issue

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• But my problem is, that in nebula clouds or dust clouds, my performance drops and the game doesn't run smoothly, so it makes it very hard, to fight against enemy ships.

Welcome to Crossfire, there is a different "explanation" only counting how your ship moves and such.

In nebula/dust clouds, this mod makes it more realistic, so the ship's normal speed is lower (you can see that in the number at the bottom-right), and handles slower, slower turns, etc... but NPC ships go slower too (so it wouldn't be an unfair advantage for them).

Unless you see graphical bugs on your screen, unusual lines or colors (or you can use the "Fraps recorder" or another one that shows the FPS( Frames Per Second) to see if they actually drop in the nebulas), the only reason of that "performance drop" only affects your ship.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• First of all thanks for the fast help!

Now I played a little bit with the ingame settings and after I put the "space detail" off, the game became more smooth. So I installed Fraps and started the game and turned the space detail setting on high again. In normal space i run with constant 6o fps, when i reach a dust area with clouds my fps drop to 30 and the deeper I fly into that area, my fps reach 15. Now I once again turned off the space detail setting and flew into the nebula. My fps dropped to 30 and stayed constantly on 30. Looks like there is no better solution and my graphics card won't handle it better. What a shame...

But as long as Freelancer is playable, I'm happy :) So thank you!

• FreeBeans welcome in the club :(, I have the same shity problems , in places like x , sys with nebula , near to jump holes and jump gates fps drops a lot and is very hard to aim ... but the game is playable,I am using a laptop too .

I just wonder if CF 2.0 comes with better graphics if we players with weak laptops we will be able to play anymore on CF 2.0?

• CF 2.0 should still be playable since i took care that not more resources are used (they are just looking better)
    so with other words... CF2.0 will ran similar to CF1.9

but there is one graphic improvement which very likely will have a major impact on the performance... but there will be an option to disable this feature

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• First of all, your specs are more than adequate for the graphics in Crossfire. What you are describing sounds like a Anti Aliasing issue. Go to your graphic settings and set everything to default. Turn off Vertical sync. Download the latest ATI driver, removed the old driver completely, then install the new driver. Even if the driver is the same, uninstall it completely and install the new download. Update your bios too while you're at it. The ATI 5430 also uses DX11 , which poses a problem with some legacy games. So I suggest reinstalling FL at this point and not turning on any of the advanced features.

I have a custom file that allows me to disable some of the DX11 snags because of FL's architecture and for 5 months now it has been working great.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.