help meh

There are 14 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Vishnu.

• It should they are about the same generation and everything younger should work with a quad.

But I can't assure you that as I never tested it.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• The core/processor has no effect on any of the video cards since 2008, when the cards started using their own processors in order to gain better performance in graphics and for the PC. However, make sure that you set the physics to GPU and not CPU in the Nvidia control panel.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Errr is this a laptop you're trying to put a desktop video card in Vishnu?

If so... Heh. It won't work bro... You'd have to upgrade to a new laptop with better graphics. (damn Nvidia, whatever happened to the mtx graphics modules for notebooks?!?!?)

If this is a desktop, as long as the motherboard of your PC has a supporting PCI-E slot that will work with the GTX 460, there shouldn't be a problem.(of which I don't foresee this as such) Check your motherboard documentation and specs as well as that for the GTX 460 to be absolutely sure.

The only other issue I'd be concerned about is the power supply, most of the Fermi generation cards are quite power hungry from what I've read, make sure your power supply(at least 500 watts or better I'd say) is adequate or you could run into problems.

• Ah, I remember the a bit older times when you had to check the compatibility of your pieces as a graphic card a bit better than your CPU or motherboard would kill your PC.
    Since graph cars have their own CPU that's no longer a problem, as Gunny said.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• as a graphic card a bit better than your CPU or motherboard would kill your PC.

Never even heard of such issues. Some configs I used to have were
    - 1.2 GHz Pentium + Radeon 9600;
    - 1.2 GHz Pentium + GeForce FX 5200;
    - 1.8 GHz AMD thing + GeForce 7600 GS;
    - 3 GHz Pentium + GeForce 8800 GT and later GeForce 9800 GT.
    Some of those times the only warning I had from my friend (a hardware geek) who supplied me with those video cards was "your CPU won't be able to load it properly", and nothing more.

P.S. Hm, and just where does my card ( released in 2008 ) have its own CPU?? :verrueckt: Yep it can accelerate physics programmed for OpenCL, but it's still done by GPU chip.

P.P.S. Sorry for going off-topic, but you really awoke my interest. :ssorry:

Edited once, last by Cresthen: adding post-postscriptum ().

• That's what I meant with killing your PC, "your CPU won't be able to load it properly" and that can be seen in different ways. When it goes really slow, it's like dead... no one wants a slower PC than they had before.

• rofl

Its not the video what matters that much, its more the structure of the processor what does most of the work.

Vishnu: Don't worry, a quad core can handle it. and the right RAM ofc
    I myself stepped down. Had a dual core 2.6GHz and now working with a quad core 2.2GHz, faster, smoother ect.
    Maya and 3dsMax running better now tho :) (but maybe that only depends on the double size of ram I use now)

• The number of cores is decisive.

The CPUs I mentioned were all single-core, that's why they can be judged by clock frequency.

• No one mentioned the power supply^^

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

The only other issue I'd be concerned about is the power supply, most of the Fermi generation cards are quite power hungry from what I've read, make sure your power supply(at least 500 watts or better I'd say) is adequate or you could run into problems.

ublind bro?

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• Oooops yeah, idk how i missed that

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• CPU architecture has zero to do with the graphics card it can run, however the motherboard if it's AMD or Nvidia specific MAY ( very slight chance) cause an issue with the graphics card, but that whole cross-architecture and infrastructure has been corrected over the past 2 years or so.

i5 cores are not limited to notebooks by any means, there are plenty of gaming systems out there that sell the i5 in lieu of the i7.

With Freelancer, the quadcore doesn't offer any advantages as the game runs on dual core or single, hence the reason why I set my affinity on Freelancer to 2 cores.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.