Newtonian physics feasibility on FL ?

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Mutos.

• Hi all,

Would like to know if any newtonian physics flight model is achievable on Freelancer through modding...

To help with answering in an understandable way for me ^-^ I've seen some game modding (Transcendence, NAEV, MW4, and also Celestia) and I'm a former developer (from '85 UCSD Pacal to .Net 2008), so I can understand the concepts. However, I'm a quite complete newbie on FL modding. I've read some of the modding tutorial, I see what they mean, but doesn't know the file structure involved. I'l DL the FL SDK to get more in touch and give it a real-life try.

For now, the only thing I found on the forums is in this post about "More accurate NPC's".

Thanks in advance for any hint ^-^

• Hi

The source code for the game engine is not available and the 'physical universe laws' calculation formulae is thus fixed.

What is described in the link you point to , is the same as if a developer of equipment developed to different specifications. It does not change the newtonian laws, just the parameters of the euipment operating inside that laws.

It is pretty amasing what you can all change. The original develoeprs had a very good product and well thought out equipment models.

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

• I remember a Mod, or a projekt (forgot the name) which took it in account.

Maybe someone else can remember it?

Click the image above to visit us.

• Hi Riebens, hi Daywalker,

Thanks for your answers. Indeed FL seems to have much more leeway for improvement through modding than I previously thought !

In the link, my interest was not in the main topic, but rather in BlackStar's answer. But I definitely will contact him by PM to see what he actually did achieve.

• It would be interesting to know the answer.

I went to your site, but unfortunately my google translate is not all it should be :(

Very interesting work though

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

• Newtonian physics in Freelancer itself wouldnt be practical as they would conflict with many other game features

however... there are some modders (like me) which work on improvements of the FL physics.
    e.g. concepts about orbiting planets... ships that act different depending on their mass (and cargo)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hello SWAT_OP-R8R,

OK, I understand. For instance docking would be uneasy as the guidance systems are setup for the original physics.

I've seen the topic on orbiting planets. Seems like making planets like ships or bases instead of fixed objects. I still have to learn the objects types inside FL, so it's a wild guess ^-^

The fact that ships could be swifter when empty and slow-moving when full could be a quite nice feature ! I'll search for such mods.

The idea behind my question is, I'm searching for an engine to make a TC to Hoshikaze, and that would require newtonian physics. But as the answers come, it seems FL wouldn't do.

But I love and hate FL for different features and some mods I've seen here seem to go well in the direction I'm always looking for in Elite-like games : dynamic economy, balance betweeen commerce, combat and exploration, and maximum ships customization.

• Hi Vishnu,

Took a peek at the 88 Flak Mod, doesn't seem to have newtonian travel, but that was expected after what SWAT_OP-R8R said. But if the suggestion was rather related to my general FL search, this might be the one ! It seems quite attractive ^-^