"Windows cannot access the specified device..."

There are 16 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by vardek.

• This is about the sixth time I've redownloaded the Crossfire installer and still I'm getting the following:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item."

Tried running it normally.

Tried running under Administrator.

No difference, either way it continues giving me lip.

• Are you downloading the mod via Download Manager? (such as FlashGet etc.) ? , if so, it corrupts the download sometime.
    So, try downloading it only through the web browser.

As it looks like a broken download to me.

• Hm, weird.

Have you tried turning off your Firewalls and Anti-Viruses?

• Scratch the issues with installing, that's taken care of. Now Crossfire is being total garbage brining up the same "Error: SHCopyFile failed" over. And over. And over.
    After it giving me the same error with a different file five times it finally activates, now I try activating it again and now it stick to this specific error.

Error: SHCopyFile failed ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\Data\Missions\M01B\m01b_11.thn.flmmbak' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\Data\Missions\M01B\m01b_11.thn')

And since uninstalling the mod and reinstalling it seemed to work the first time, I tried that, but oh this time it doesn't do anything. And reinstalling FLMM did nothing also.
    I seriously don't remember Crossfire ever being this shitty in terms of simply trying to get it to activate.

• Try not using the damned Program Files folder

Guess I should yell at Mircrosft then for making Program Files the default install location. :tired:

patience is the key - you were already on the right way - but left it without patience :)
    Try again and wait until everything is finished. FLMM seems to get stuck during activation - thats normal and you should let the program do the work.

I know it appears to freeze during the activation process so I don't mess with anything from that point. It's activated again anyway so no worries.

• Hi Guys,

I have the same problem under Windows 7 Ultimate. First time, when I tried to install CF, FLMM was unable to install CF successfull. I tried again and again and finaly FLMM installed CF. But today I uninstalled and tried to reinstall CF (because I wanted some changes in game). But always i get this error. Installing with admin rights, complete FL uninstall and reinstall and co didnt work, too.

• Hi

Anything underneath Program Files is protected.

Do NOT install there. If you install there, the CF startup program cannot access al lthe files to replace them.

Best install is c:\freelancer...when installing the CD
    then Install FLMM also under c:\FLMM
    then extract CF download and
    then Install CF with FLMM.

Works every time for Vista and Windows 7

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

• While the windows programs is protected per se, it can still be used to install CF. I too have ultimate 64 bit and I havent had any issues at all. I think we need to find the solution in general and post it. However installing as c:/freelancer will gain the best performance or making a partition on your HDD about 10% larger than FL and CF combined, then install on the partition.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• The thing is.. i didn't install Freelancer on C:\Program files. C: is my Windows partition and not more.
    I installed Freelancer in G:\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\... and FLMM in G:\Freelancer Mod Manager\

• That should work for you as well....

Maybe disable your AV program for those two directories while installing ??

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

• I Too Have had the same problem and I am running windows 7 basic and what ever i try to do with it it says that windows cant find the specified files device or path and ive downloaded it twice