Equipment Question(s)

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Daywalker.

• I have been using my SP game to test various ships, weapons and other equipment to determine what I am going to use in MP. Currently I am running 2 SP games, one with a Shroud and one with a Redemption. BTW I am still in the Sirius Sector and have tested about 50% of all VHF's there....save games are a wonderful thing :D (Deathbalde and Shadowblade are quite good)

It was suggested to me the other day that my redemption was not agile enough being one of the heaviest VHF's in the game, so I bought the shroud to compare. (Based on the difference in their armour rating as there are no ship masses shown in game).

I flew 1/2 dozen missions in each and timed some 360 horizontal and vertical turns/loops. I would have tried Hovis' racetrack but the 450 cruise speed makes this almost impossible to do (for me anyway....lol)

The redemption definitely seems a bit more agile than the shroud.

Then I equipped both with Class 10 armour upgrade........no noticeable difference.

Then I tried Mk3 weight reduction on each...........again no noticeable difference, so my questions are;

1/ Are these items meant to be used on fighters or are they for Cap ships?
    2/ Should I see a noticeable difference when using them in SP or are the game mechanics different to MP?
    3/ What is the general consensus on these items?

Time is an illusion.............

Lunchtime doubly so !!

• Armor does double your hull rating but doesn't have as much of a noticeable affect on agility IMO. WR MK3 doesn't do much noticeable either, but SA_ORION is the expert on the WR.

• I would have tried Hovis' racetrack but the 450 cruise speed makes this almost impossible to do (for me anyway....lol)

1/ Are these items meant to be used on fighters or are they for Cap ships?
    2/ Should I see a noticeable difference when using them in SP or are the game mechanics different to MP?
    3/ What is the general consensus on these items?

1) Armor upgrades and Weight Reduction work fine for fighters and small freighters.

2) SP game physics are the same as MP.

3) Here are my opinions:

- Armor upgrade gives you significantly more armor with minimal change in maneuverability = Good.

- Weight Reduction sucks up one of your hard points without giving you much. IMHO, it is not a good use of a hard point. The weight reduction removes a fixed amount of mass, so it works best on a light ship.

Mass is only a small factor in determining a ship's maneuverability. A ship with high mass can maneuver quickly and vice versa.

There are several more important factors that affect maneuverability, but they are not published anywhere.

The Hovis race is a trick: You cannot beat Hovis's machine-like reflexes and his ultra-maneuverable Dagger. The only way to "win" the Hovis race is for Hovis to lose! On the second race, he misses a turn, which gives you your chance to win. Also, Hovis stupidly uses Cruise speed which, at 450, causes him to miss *more* gates. He recovers quickly enough, but you can beat him but sliding and thrusting your way through the course.

Sliding allows you to conserve thruster fuel so that you can make it all the way through the entire course. At thruster speed, you have much more control, and can get through the course without missing gates. If you feel yourself sliding too fast, just use normal engine speed to recover, then slide again when you regain your composure.

At thruster speed you will still go pretty fast, but you will have much more control than Hovis has.

So, in Crossfire, do not use cruise speed on the Hovis race track. It is actually easier than it is in vanilla! I have been able to win in a freighter (Rhino and Bullpup Mk III).

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• I tried WR on Bulpup MK III and I can confirm that it affected turning speed (noticable). But for agile ship this can do only little difference. ... AU has especially for MP much more advantages.

• I would love to see some old Fallen and TRF Mates here, they would be able to answer the Weight Reduction Topic much better ;) Also they would be able to show how it is working perfect in a pvp - The Weight Reducers has their right to exist, you just have to find out why ;)

Click the image above to visit us.