Running Crossfire on higher resolutions

There are 48 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Faaby.

• That would be a valuable addition to the FAQ.

Here's some help (I don't have widescreen too).

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• thats a start... now we need someone with knowledge to write what exact each of those values in cameras and fonts file is so we can test and observe them 1 by one
    an edited screenshot with explanations would be very useful before starting this work

EDIT: Heaven, I tried your fixed calculations for cameras and here is how it looked :D

ehh... that was ment for gunny and his 1920x1200...

if Diablo's calculations are correct, fonts can be fixed easily... but we will need people to test them

hud and camera is easy to pinpoint in traditional 'try and see what happens' way

• if you can create different widescreen settings within the next 2 weeks then i can put them into the 1.82 update and ppl easily can choose them from flmm

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• since my monitor rejects anything higher than 1600x900,

for now ill try to make my best preferred settings for 1280x720(16:9) and 1440x900(8:5)

if that works out well, ill start guessing higher resolutions

edit: done with first batch (havent tested them in interaction with other player's)
    on 1600x900 item names are either a bit too large or too small. so i chose small.
    it would be nice if someone tested it

camera.ini for 16:9

1280x720

1600x900

camera.ini for 8:5

1440x900

• you have to undock to actually see the modifications in action...

every time you start crossfire its gonna be like that , but as soon as you undock it feels great :)

• It´s just the first time when you entered the Game because the settings are first active when you enter space. When you dock again after entering Space it should be fixed.

Click the image above to visit us.

• I would love to test fonts with various resolutions but my old problem reappeared yesterday :(( and now i cant play crossfire anymore

What is interesting is that the same thing happens with AVG, Avast, and Trend Internet Security (maybe my Freelancer copy contains some kind of a spy/malware).
    First I notice a file called "EXE2", last 1-2 days, then it disappears, and then my Freelancer.exe goes missing and everything basically gets screwed up.
    It means that if I wanna run Freelancer I have to have 0 AVs installed ^^ or download a new Freelancer copy

• atm im using avira, adding FL and CF in flmm folders to exeption list works perfectly

while starting CF makes exe2 folder in install dir (for security measures or something... OP can answer that) and if it forcibly closes the folder stays

• ok, Heaven, back to the topic

the changes we are experimenting with here solve everything but those 3 bars in the middle of the bottom of the screen: energy bar, shield bar and hull bar

they also need to be resized, right now im expecting some answers from someone ill brief you as soon as I get them

Meanwhile, AV is down and CF back up and running, tests continue

EDIT: Heaven's 16:9 Camera fix tested and confirmed at 100% accuracy

[WinCamera]
    fovx = 68.750000

[CockpitCamera]
    fovx = 86
    znear = 2.000000

[ThirdPersonCamera]
    fovx = 86

[DeathCamera]
    fovx = 86

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• It´s just the first time when you entered the Game because the settings are first active when you enter space. When you dock again after entering Space it should be fixed.

Thanks a lot !

Now i just need to test this new res in nebula PvP cause expanding the res to 1440x900 seems to induce lag with my poor graphic card :(

the changes we are experimenting with here solve everything but those 3 bars in the middle of the bottom of the screen: energy bar, shield bar and hull bar

they also need to be resized, right now im expecting some answers from someone ill brief you as soon as I get them

the 3 bars expand at the same rate as hud and text but unlike it, its nowhere to be found in data folder

there is possibility of redrawing hud to fit it but learning to do that might take awhile as i have 0 exp in that field

• I've read through all of the threads mentioned and I want to try this but I'm not sure where to start. Diablo, your math makes sense to me, however I'm not sure how to work this considering, for me, my height is not the only value that is different. Besides the fact that I'm not sure if doing this will make it run very choppily, my computer's native resolution is 1366x768. I have yet to make the attempt, but I would imagine that the default font settings will not be adequate for that resolution which, according to what I calculate is an odd ratio as compared to the others on both the chart and in examples. If you divide the ratios into each other 16:9 ratio comes out to 1.7777... (16/9) as does 1600x900 but 1366x768 comes out to 1.7786458333... which is just a slight variation from the true 16:9 aspect. Would that be enough to change my results and how should I go about converting these settings?

• your height is 768 that is one of 4:3 standards so its possible to adjust your hud and fonts for perfect fit.

my monitor(or maybe its FL) refuses to show such gibberish, first make sure that it can run on 1366x768

• Here are my font settings for 1366x768:

I used Heaven's settings for 16:9 Camera as well. Some fonts are a bit small but everything fits and is readable. Besides, I like small fonts. I'll post a screenshot later when I get the chance.

EDIT: Do not use these settings, I have much better ones posted below.

Edited once, last by |PX|Nitro ().

• I've read through all of the threads mentioned and I want to try this but I'm not sure where to start. Diablo, your math makes sense to me, however I'm not sure how to work this considering, for me, my height is not the only value that is different. Besides the fact that I'm not sure if doing this will make it run very choppily, my computer's native resolution is 1366x768. I have yet to make the attempt, but I would imagine that the default font settings will not be adequate for that resolution which, according to what I calculate is an odd ratio as compared to the others on both the chart and in examples. If you divide the ratios into each other 16:9 ratio comes out to 1.7777... (16/9) as does 1600x900 but 1366x768 comes out to 1.7786458333... which is just a slight variation from the true 16:9 aspect. Would that be enough to change my results and how should I go about converting these settings?

your height is 768 that is one of 4:3 standards so its possible to adjust your hud and fonts for perfect fit.

my monitor(or maybe its FL) refuses to show such gibberish, first make sure that it can run on 1366x768

Many Notebook are 1366x768 Heaven.

Nitro, these are my settings for 1366x768 cause i am on the same resolution. It´s not perfect because of the Main Menu but it´s working, if your settings are better just reject mine but please give a hint here so i can take yours :D

[WinCamera]
    fovx = 69

[CockpitCamera]
    fovx = 70
    znear = 2.000000

[ThirdPersonCamera]
    fovx = 70

[DeathCamera]
    fovx = 70

Click the image above to visit us.

• Sorry I didn't reply back earlier, I couldn't log on last night to check settings because my connection had crashed. Anyway, tonight I made some final adjustments and I think this is as good as I can get my settings for 1366x768. Daywalker, for the camera settings I substituted what I had set for "WinCamera" for your setting of 69, which seems to be just the little bit farther zoomed out that I needed to fix some of the things getting cut off. For the rest of the camera settings, I used 86, I've posted my Cameras.ini file below. I also made some adjustments to my fonts and that is also posted below.

Cameras.ini File

Revised Fonts.ini for 1366x768

And here are some screenshots of the new settings both Cockpit and 3rd Person view: