Crashing Crossfire

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Hellraiser.

• Hello. First let me say I love Crossfire! I'm replaying the SP campaign and I can't recognize it! It's great! Like a totally new game! Anyway, enough with the brown nosing. Although I love Crossfire, I ran into a problem with it today. I left the game last night after getting to the point where Trent and Juni are at the research station in the Badlands about to take the jump gate to Britania (or however it's spelled). I exited the game in the middle of a cutscene and went to clear out a few of the older save states, like Mission 01, Mission 02, and those kinds of things last night before I went to bed. I left the autosave and a manual save I'd done earlier.

I tried to get back into Crossfire tonight to keep going with the storyline and the game CTD'd on me. I opened it up through FLMM v1.3 (the version you're supposed to have). The game started off just fine. The SWAT splashscreen, the original intro scene from the vanilla FL, and the custom-made Crossfire intro all ran fine and dandy. It was a the screen after that, where it says Crossire Inner Sphere and some other things that I don't remember, that the game just quit on me, no rhyme or reason to it. One minute I was looking at the Crossfire screen, the next I'm staring at my desktop. It didn't give me an error code, it didn't give me a notice that says "Freelancer has committed a fatal error and must close" none of that. Just cut out on me. I tried running Crossfire again through the normal short cut and the same thing happened. I tried FLMM and got the same thing. I launched all three or so times as Admit since I have the rights on my computer. I restarted my computer and tried again and gotten the same result. I don't have any other mods activated and the Freelancer was a vanilla install. I have no idea what's going on and I'm at my wits end. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. If there's a crash log or something that would help clarify this problem, please point me in the right direction and I'll post it or something.

Thank you in advance,
    WingedFreedom

P.S. I'm running this on a Dell Inspiron with Vista and McAfee AV, though I don't think this should be an issue since I have no plans to go online with this thing (yet).

• FLMM version required for installing CF is 1.31. Dunno if it makes a difference, but still, it's highly emphasized here: crossfire.swat-portal.com.

Hellraiser, you're not helping.

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• Well your CTD could have several reasons. It might be that your graphic cards needs an update, it might be that you have old savegames... If software exits without an error it should be stored in the system event logger. configuration manager -> system -> events. There you can see all events based on the system, application and several other things. Maybe there is a hint.
    You could also try to install the latest directX or an codec pack...

signature.png

• I left the autosave and a manual save I'd done earlier.

1) You said that you exited in the middle of a cut scene. The Escape from Liberty mission has some precise requirements... if you exited at the wrong place in the mission, then you could have an invalid Autosave.fl.

As a test, try moving all of your saved games, including Restart.fl, out of your saved game folder. See if you can start a new game.

If you can, then it suggests that one of your saved games is bad. Then it is just a matter of adding them back, one by one, until you find the offending saved game.

2) A/V tools have trouble with Crossfire -- make sure that no Crossfire files are quarantined.

3) Don't worry about the Registry -- Freelancer does not keep anything important in there. FLMM does, but not Freelancer.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• so when you talk about moving the save files and what not, do I go to that folder that FLMM makes or do I go to the one for Freelancer itself?