Projectile speed - need advice

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ryleous Arkane (SA_ORION).

• Hi,
    Ive just reached Inner Core systems, and the first thing that astonished me were those freaking-fast fighters. I think I think Im a good pilot, but I didnt survived a single fight. I was able to aim them, but they dodge like nuts.
    I usually use 600m/s combo (2x Tizona, 4x MkII guns).
    As i see, i need much faster projectiles for these systems.
    My question: Are there any guns that fire projectiles faster than 750 m/s and have good/very good firepower ?

Thanks for advice, it really helps me :)

• Well, all aliens there are good, but there's 1 race that has faster n better ships... that's alsmost a suicide to take them down. DK (gunboats) in Altairr are kid's play compared with theese aliens, thats why some people say, fighting with 4 DKs is easy :D After a good fight vs powerful aliens... ^^ as I had for a while, hehe but the trophy is Great !

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Originally posted by Hellraiser
    Why is the rate of fire of the ancient energy cannons high when they are mounted on ancients but when i use them, they fire at a rate of 3.03

There other guns than the ancient energy cannons in Dev?
    Where?

I assume this is for balance reasons, but if you want to know a trick to effectively double that rate for slow refire rate guns, PM me Hellraiser and I'll explain. 8)

Originally posted by Ryder Hook

he mean rapid fire i presume :)
    its an german guide but with helpfull screens^^

click

Actually, I refer to it as an alternating firing mode Ryder, but yes, I suspect the methods are the same. However, I have found out how to lock in the alternating fire without having to hit the weapons groups keys back and forth. :D8)

Gah, the Babelfish translation of that guide reallllly sucks...

Alright, I'll go ahead and spill the beans Hellraiser: :D

If you don't know anything about weapons groups, now is a good time to learn. When you hit F1 and set your controls for your ship, there is a set of controls referred to as weapon group 1, weapon group 2 and so forth.

Typically I assign these to the 1, 2, 3 and so forth number keys above the lettered keys on the keyboard to access them with my left hand, which typically controls the afterburner, engine kill, reverse/stop thrust and strafes/thrusters of the ship nearby on the keyboard.(Q, W, E and S for the strafes, TAB for the afterburner, A for the reverse/stop thrust and D for the engine kill)

Now, once you've assigned them to your number keys, in game, you will notice your primary group of weapons is always weapons group 1 and they are all green, i.e. highlighted, save for your mines, CDs, torpedos and CMs. Hit 2 on the keyboard will active your weapons group 2(by default all guns are unhighlighted, i.e. BLUE) and then 3 for weapons group 3 and so forth. Now with this understood, you can assign half your weapons on the left side of your ship to weapons group 2(click on the weapons you want to use to highlight them for that group) and the other half to weapons group 3. This really works best with a "mirrored" loadout of guns on each side of the ship with simular refire rates and projectile speeds.

To initiate the alternating fire mode, you hold down your fire button, hit the weapons group 2 key, then immediately hit the weapons group 3 key and continue to alternate the groups. If your timing is correct, you will cause your weapons to on each side of the ship to alternate fire and effectively double your refire rate of the guns, keeping a much more steady stream of projectiles towards your target. This does mean less is hitting the target at one time, but it also requires less power than firing all the weapons at once. This works best IMHO with slower firing rate guns and also helps to deal better with their usually pretty power hungry appetite.

I've recently also discovered how to do this in a semi-auto fashion by accidently hitting the weapons group 1 key once the proper "rhythm" of the alternating fire has been established. This in turn, allows you to resume full control of your ship's afterburner and strafes on my left hand while dishing out a steady hail of fire at the target.

Try it out sometime. It's why I've come to favor the slower firing and heavier hitting guns for past few years, although I will always have my love for the Skyblast B and newer Kelyrd-Ray Projector guns. :D8) The alternating fire method also turns them into high-speed gattlings! LOL! :D