PC restarts in game

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by {LP}SaxonRaider{X}.

• Havent had any problems with my PC till i installed Freelancer CF 1.8, the problem is that in 5 days of playing my PC crashed 3 times (one of those times it just restarted).

I have Intel Q8400, 4GB ram, ATI HD4850 1GB and i run it on Windows XP SP3.

As i looked all the fans and vents were working properly when that happened so it shouldnt be cause of overheating and such.

Could someone plese help with some ideas to where should i look for problems.

Just to note i disabled 3D sound as before.

Thanks in advance.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Cpt.Gonzo [/SIZE] [/SIZE]

"Buy the ticket, take the ride!"

• dunno

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I had a very similar problem with my pc, it rebooted itself, about every 2 -5 minutes, and just before doing so, it looked as if the Video output from the graphics card had frozen. sometimes i would get freaky lines appaer for a split second before the screen went black.

I decided to re-install Windows doing a full HD Format, and removing the PC battery and RAM when shutdown, to destroy possibility of any software or harware based virus.

When i got everything installed again, the problem was still there. But wasnt happenening quite as frequently. I carried on using the pc, not knowing what else i could do to pinpoint the problem, i had tried running windows in safe mode, but even then it crashed time and time again. so i gave up on it being driver related.

Then, totally out of the blue the crashing stopped. pc now working perfect again.

• Weird... sometimes, they could be Windows 'Fatal' errors, when the PC restarts, sometimes (the weird ines/colours before the monitor goes black), for an graphic error, also causable by overheat of that hraphic card, a piece of it, not necessarly itself. Anyway, the causes of that are weird, and rare.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• When i think of it, first time is crashed the monitor had shut down and it was saying "NO SIGNAL" on it and then i had to manualy restart the PC.

Could it be graphic card related?

And one time there was a strange noise in the tower, but that could be from the sudden restar.

• did the monitor shutdown BEFORE the pc had shutdown completely? if yes then its likely its graphics card losing power completely. My PC actually hard resetted itself and rebooted the same split second the weird line flashed up. Its a possibility it could be a Power supply issue with me, or just power fluctuation problems in my local area (we do have small powercuts in my area frequently)

• it could be the graphics, because my laptop runs super-great until i start CF1.8 and then exit the game. After exiting the game, my graphic is totally screwed, laptop is overheating, slowed down,, fans are running like crazy (normally, i have to restart it... )

but on desktop comp at home i dont have a single problem.. might be the graphic card related

• Think it was more or less simultaneous.

Hmmmm...

How could i check if the graphics card is causing this?

• firstly check the driver software isnt causing the problem by starting windows in safe mode, this wont load any graphics card drivers except the standard universal VGA drivers that come from Microsoft. If there is a problem running windows, then it is a hardware fault, or power supply issue, possibly your PSU, or with your power supply to you house/flat.

Secondly, you could see if you have an old graphics card handy, and plug that in, and see if it changes things. luckily as CF runs on old cards, should be fine.