The Current Sittuation

There are 59 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Hi all,

I have to say i am very surprised that 2 weeks have passed and still there is no progress in meeting OP's deadline, there has been a lot of talk about what needs to be done but no action, isn't it about time progress is made.

I have heard a lot of talk about how OP should hand over the forum and server to the community, well for this month OP has and the result is a dead forum and a dead server, do you still feel that you are up to the job? because if this is the case what is happening now proves OP is right not to do so, this is our chance to show OP we are not a bunch of cry baby 3 year olds that just take take take, without giving anything in return.

we have 3 weeks left so lets show what we can do, if you have ideas that's great speak about them and lets do what we can to sort this mess out without all the constant discussions and no action.

Civility is not a sign of weakness , Sincerity is always subject to proof

If you would like to join a Military/Police Clan then click on the links below

Home Of Sirius Federal police........www.sfp-crossfire.com

Home of BloodGuard ..... --==BloodGuard==--

A FreeLancers life is a good life

In Game Chars
    [CFPD]DarkLord
    [CFPD]Exterminator

• I just came back to the community, excited to see everyone again, only to find that the place has been deserted? I haven't been around in 8 months, so I haven't kept up with recent events, but for crying out loud, this crap was happening back then too, why is it that now everyone gives up?

The main problem I see is that most people don't seem to understand the line between Roleplay, and actual life. Now, the game promotes RP with lots of events, and licenses, and clans are formed around this. We have Mercs, Pirates, Cops, Freelancers, all in one universe. But RPing is not fun *all* the time. I remember back in 1.6 playing with people who could draw a line at some point.

What I intend to say is, we need to stop taking things too seriously. Or rather, we need to be more serious about some things, and less about other things. For instance, we should make a clear separation of RP, and actual life. By that I mean, no matter what you play in game, don't let that get in the way of making friends. And don't let real life issues meld with the game. What happens then is that the actual players behind the pirates, and cops, can't get along. Either because they think the other is holding a grudge against them for shooting them all the time, or they start chasing pirates for the wrong reasons.

If you start to attack a player, rather than his/her character, then you're playing the game wrong. I don't chase a pirate because I hate the player, I chase him because he's a pirate. But there are some who have blurred the line, and they think that because they are playing a character, they can do whatever the hell they want.

We need to start being more mature about this. I fear that 1.8 is not going to see the light of day otherwise.

Of course, actions speak louder than words. So what I propose is that we start to define some boundaries about RP. We should have a time for RP, and a time for fun. And if players don't want to have the RP, then we should not shun them, but rather leave them be Freelancers. Also, something should be done about the creation of clans. Instead of seeing new clans appear when a player ditches their old clan, we should have those people cool off and play as Freelancers.

Me personally, I'd sometimes like to put the badge away and just trade to make some money, instead of chasing every pirate I come across. I'd also like to be able to not get attacked by every damn pirate. Of course, even if it is nothing personal, there is still something annoying about getting blown in mid-space.

I remember doing Hyperspace runs with LPs, and Miles Noxis. Back then I was CFPD, and we got along. They have good players who are also nice people, and they also want peace from all the usual kill-kill-tax-chase-kill-tax... etc.

Even recently, with not many players online, I passed some Fallen members whilst trading between New Berlin and Stuttgart, not once did I get attacked or taxed, just because we put the RP aside for a moment. I think this is what a lot of players want.

So again, maybe have less RP, or more oriented RP, so that we can also have a time for just good fun no matter the license on the ship ahead of you, or the clantag. Heck I feel like we're being racist, except we're talking about players not getting along because of factions. (And by players I mean the actual people behind the characters).

Of course there are people who just want to stir shit up and cause trouble. Those people should be dealt with severly. I don't know how good OP's system is for IP scanning and then banning, but we shouldn't have to put up with those players. Because, like someone said in a thread I read recently: Look at the Discovery mod, they have strict rules, but people take things seriously and any troublemakers get banned almost immediately. And they have a full server.

Whew, that was a mouthful. But hey it's been 8 months, and now's the perfect time to really put the cards on the table and see what we're dealing with. If OP is reading the forums, I hope he sees that there *are* people who want to save the server.

[CFPD]Lone_Renegade __________[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_TR
    [CFPD]Lone_Renegade*/**/***__[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_BS

Crossfire Federal Police Department Website

When you want to curse and swear, don't despair, use some flair. Be creative with your words, and enjoy the whole affair!

• very good post Lone and welcome back, i couldn't agree more with what you said and i think for most of us its what we want, you obviously have many ideas Lone maybe you could help to put some of them in action, i am willing to assist any way i can and i hope some of you that read this will put your hands up and lets make things happen.

In Game Chars
    [CFPD]DarkLord
    [CFPD]Exterminator

• I have not been part of this community for as long as most of you guys but I have a few ideas. Do whatever you want to do with them. they are not plans just a ideas that could lead to interesting discussions.

First, yes there is a tension between pirates and cops. The way i see, it is because we always are playing against each others and never with each others. I think the effect is similar to the famous experiment where student were put in the roles of jailers and prisoners (look it up if you don't know about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment). They ended up beating each other and worst. Somehow, this situation seem to reflect on what tend to happen to the server.

One good opportunity to brake those artificial wall is ASF/CSF. For reasons that I do not know about, now it's just cops vs pirates all over again. It really should be a mix of all factions on both sides. After all this is a military/political struggle, so it would make much more sence if it was that way. This idea as been mentioned to me many times, an I really think it could help reduce tension between faction since we would have to work with each others to win.

An other idea (not mine but I do not remember the source) is to have clans switch RP from time to time. So that they can experience the RP from the other side. Many of us have joined a clan before having experienced all the RP and now we can't without leaving that clan. It could help people to see things from the other side. I personally would like to do this from time to time. Maybe for 2-3 weeks have 2 clans of similar size switch RP?

I'll try to think of other stuff but for now that's all I have in mind that is clear enough to be written. If any of you have other idea/plans/crazy taught let's post them here and discuss them.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• That's what i like to see some creative ideas, i don't think the clan RP role change will be possible but who knows, as for the rest i agree with you more should be done to allow clans of opposite RP's to work with one another and i feel that this would break the ice with most of the tension, again great post Myric, if you could spare the time to put some of these ideas into action would be great.

What about the forum? does anyone have any ideas with what can be done here, CF and SWAT work side by side, so we need other ideas to solve our situation that doesn't involve RP solutions.

In Game Chars
    [CFPD]DarkLord
    [CFPD]Exterminator

• Its good to see at least one post thats all about fixing our current problems. I totally agree that sometimes its good to temporarily remove RP and work together, or have friendly PVP that has nothing to do with cops and pirates RP.

An idea I have to hopefully ease the tensions between pirates and cops is to have team oriented fights against nomads in places like Outer dyson sphere or FP7, without it actually being a contest or anything, but just for fun. But dont make it to where teams can only be pirates, and cops, but mix and match them so that pirates and cops have to work together.

• It's good that you bring this up, Kalisie. The thing I want to do is to dissociate players and characters. We have to get them to get along as players, and yet keep the RP aspect at the same time. It's a little difficult for me to explain exactly what I want.

Basically, cops and pirates, aren't supposed to get along according to RP. However, if the players behind these cops and pirates hate each other because of the RP, that's the major problem. That is why, even if we mix up the teams in an event, for example, it won't solve the problem. They'll work together for the duration of the event and then go back to killing each other.

There is a lack of communication, and some people take things personally. They see someone attacking them and they immediately want revenge. And then they start hunting for the wrong reasons.

When RP is involved, it needs to be clear that if a pirate opens fire on a cop, or vice versa, its part of the RP, and all meant in good fun and contribution to said RP. The rest of the time, when RP isn't involved, people should still be able to get along, and work together.

I know I'm just writing text and not putting down any concrete ideas, but I'm starting to see a bigger picture here and trying to bring it into focus. Then I'll start laying down ideas.

This will take time, and the reconstruction of the community on the new ideas we can come up with in this very thread is the key to the survival of this mod. Mark my words: KEY to the survival of this mod. If everyone gives up now, OP will simply shrug off his project and we'll be left with an empty server.

We have 3 weeks and counting.

When you want to curse and swear, don't despair, use some flair. Be creative with your words, and enjoy the whole affair!

• Agreed, its time we start taking steps to make this a better place, and prove that this mod is the best! Lets show OP that he's not the only one that keeps this place running, and do everything we can to make sure this mod, and community comes out on top. Its time for all those clan hatreds and hostilities to end, and come together the way its meant to be.

The reason I was mentioning that nomad thing is because I was thinking that, irl most times cops go after all the bad trouble maker people, but in some cases cops work with some of those trouble makers (Thieves, druggies, homeless people, ect ect) in order to put away a more troublesome target that cause far more problems. It doesnt happen often, but I have seen it happen with my own eyes, and in my experience it does make the town a better place overall. Thats what we need to achieve.

• @ AwesomeMan:

As far as I can remember, I joined the community about 3 years ago, back when 1.56 was the current version. Back then, there was already an old story about a clan (who's name I've forgotten right now) that had caused a lot of trouble. It was a fairly large clan, almost as old as Blood Guard, they were eventually banned.

Anyways, these two things are distinct and seperate incidents, but it goes to show that there has always been tensions and grudges on this server.

• well the past is the past, the only thing we can do is learn from it, but seriously these problems are not just server side and to do with RP, there is obvious problems that need sorting on here on the forum/portal, we need new updates on all games the forum/portal supports we need fresh ideas for SWAT so basically we need to think of the bigger picture rather than just the RP problems.

But keep the ideas coming guys. :)

In Game Chars
    [CFPD]DarkLord
    [CFPD]Exterminator

• I think role switches are a great idea. LP Marauder and PX Toombs were talking about that idea for some time now. It would give all a chance to view things from different perspectives.

To be honest, I had forgotten about the idea until Myric mentioned it here.

Focusing more rp against aliens sounds good too. The rp of the orginal game is humans vs aliens ;)

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

• Honestly...I didn't know there was tension between cop'ers and pirates....I thought we had RP. But, I do want everyone else to enjoy as much as I do...and something that brought all factions together once in awhile could be great fun. Lone pointed out trips to hyper and such....many of those type trips that I attended were organized by Lashan. She was good at getting others together...and poking some fun jabs at same time. Slayer is right tho...past is past....we have to do best we can to make this the best available server and game. Although, somewhere....somehow...seems clans forgot that we all in this together, and should be looking out for all our interests. I do recall clans protecting others systems no matter what the faction....it was a given that this would happen. I think some of you remember this as well.

In my time on the server...I have seen some pretty stupid things get blown way outta hand. IMO most of these coulda been handled in pm's....and I'm not sure why this isn't the case. Maybe cause I haven't been in that position that I don't have better feel for such matters. Does seem tho that most could be avoided. I'll be first to say...I shoulda taken that road as well.

My first suggestion is that......Noone post in anger (something I learned from a pirate brother). Believe me, this is hard to do.....but if noone learns any disipline (like to be able to do this) then all other options are probably mute point.

I hope we all can come up with great ideas to make this place all and more than OP could have ever dreamed.....wish I was more creative...but I happily donate any time and effort I can to anything you guys can come up with :D

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• ;)

Despite the good thing to post ideas, I think clans switching RP is not good and was forbidden (in that way it is proposed here). Furthermore pirates cooperating with cops was also denied. So we now would do something that was not requested over a long period. There were server events that could be used for that - they were rarely visited.

From my humble point of view - i dont like to cooperate with cops at all. In no way for anything. Either i am a pirate or i am weakling. I and i mean {b]I[/b] prefer the first one ;)

But nevertheless - let your ideas just continue. My voice is just a tiny out of many^^

• Yes Huor, that's why ASF/CSF is the perfect event to mix-up the clans and the RPs. It's a military campaign not a RP one. I really strongly believe that doing that would help, even if only a little.

When ASF/CSF is over, we can all start killing each other again.

- Isaac Asimov

• Look guys i don't mean to be rude here, but every time there is a problem RP seems to be the blame, time and time again there has been posts on how RP should be done and still we get the same issues, yes RP may need looking at but the problem we face now is far bigger than just RP, so with that in mind how are we going to fix the rest of the problems?

There is still no mention how SWAT can grow and improve or how we can make this forum more active, and at the moment these problems also need addressing, don't get me wrong i love the ideas thrown up so far even tho some of them will be impossible but still any idea is a good idea.

In Game Chars
    [CFPD]DarkLord
    [CFPD]Exterminator

• I do not think we are discussing problems with RP. At least I'm not. I was discussing problem between players and how it might be a consequence of how things are organized in some of the RP. The point is that (at least from my point of view) most of the problem come from the fact players get strongly associated with their avatar and people start expecting the players to have the same characteristic that is expected from the stereotype of the RP they play. The only way I see to prevent that from happening is if the players get to know each other out side of the game or at the very least outside on the role they play.

As for swat, I have no clue what to do to improve things here. Maybe the problem is that most of those coming here are not looking for gaming information or for modding information but for information about CrossFire. Of course that is not what OP was hopping for this portal but that is currently what it is effectively, at least for most people. The best proof of that is how the number of people on the forum is so directly linked to the number of people on CF.

Personally I do not come to swat for any other reason then CF. It not because I get my game info at an other portal. It's just that I very rarely look for game info and when I feel the need I look for it in google and in google news. Google is very hard to compete with.

So I'm probably not the right person to ask for advice how to make swat more relevant and better functioning. It seem I'm just not part of the people for whom this portal was made for. I still hope someone find a way to make it work. I just really have no clue.

- Isaac Asimov

• Hey again Lone... good 2 see you are staying with us in these hard times.

Id like 2 share my oppinion, since ive noticed that blaming all problems on RP is NAIVE. Ok being provoked happens 2 all of us and could happen anywhere. RP is just an excuse. If u get angry cuz u got killed by sum1 chasing u for 30 minutes cuz that has sumthin 2 do with RP, deal with it... alone, with that annoying dog or with some friends from clan. Ive been through it... in my 1st week marauder chased me train through 5 systems just 4 the fun of it and we ended up with a big laugh in the end.

If this post intends to share ideas about how 2 fix this situation... i suggest the very old fashion REVENGE PACT... If sum1 feels insulted in any valid way, this sum1 has the right to have his ((((((1)))))) revenge, all within the means of RP. In the old days ppl demanded satisfaction through gun dueling... why cant we do it as well? How knows it might end up being fun.

BTW, its another way of showing that every RP issues, even those childish grudges should b solved inside RP as well.

Ok guys gtg, hope i helped somehow

Regards