High ping

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Bond.

• Several weeks ago, our internet connection was shut down by what my dad thinks was a DDOS attack. The connection was put back up quickly, though my problems did not end there. I've had problems connecting to any MP game in any server. If I can connect, my ping is usually through the roof. If it isn't, I still glitch so much that I make Nightstalker from X-Men look like an amateur.

The strange thing about this is that my browser and other internet-dependent applications run perfectly fine. I can download files at the max possible speed for my connection, streaming is smooth, and the browsers are lightning quick. I scanned for Grayware/Malware and Viruses but nothing came up. There is nothing running in the background that would cause this, either. I don't understand why my connection would deteriorate so rapidly upon entering a game. This happens in Freelancer (~500), CoD4 (~800 average, Team Fortress 2 (~300 average), Crysis Wars (~1100 average), and BF 2142 (~1400 average).

This is one of the reasons I haven't been on Crossfire recently, and it's annoying as hell. I've contacted our ISP tech support, and they don't know what's going on. I haven't a clue as to what's causing this, but I sure could use some help. My dad thinks that someone I played against online doesn't like me, and that's what this is all about. Quite frankly I couldn't care less, because if that's the reason this happened, then all I can do is feel sorry for the person who did it.

When I check the connection in the Network Connections window, there is virtually no packet loss. The ping -t command in the command prompt yields similar results with 0% packet loss every time I use it. A connection speed test from any site gives the same answer. I just don't get it.

Can ya help me out?

Crossfire Characters:
    (IOC){Dark_Angel} and any derivatives thereof.

• I'm not sure what causes it, but my notion has been that part of the high ping comes from geographic locale. Crossfire's server is in Germany, where if you're within a few hundred miles there's really no excuse to have a ping more than 100. Overseas in the states, however, pings can easily be twice that figure or even higher. There are probably other factors involved that I don't understand, but the server is pretty much quarter of the way around the world from you. :)

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

Originally posted by Drakon
    I'm not sure what causes it, but my notion has been that part of the high ping comes from geographic locale. Crossfire's server is in Germany, where if you're within a few hundred miles there's really no excuse to have a ping less than 100. Overseas in the states, however, pings can easily be twice that figure or even higher. There are probably other factors involved that I don't understand, but part of it probably has to do with the server being a quarter of the way around the world from you. :)

My ping has always been high on CF (~170) but now it's hovering at ~500. ?( I get the same results from servers in Dallas in other games as well, and I'm less than 60 miles away from Dallas.

And might I add that every server window of every game I launch drops down to 1 fps no matter what.

Crossfire Characters:

• clean your systems from spybots and malware, look if eventually backgrounds programs are running that causes internet traffic (updates etc).

Talk with your ISP and ask them - maybe they have routing problems... Could have more than one reason why your connections get worst.

• There are also TCP/IP optimizer programs available for download, to help tweak you connection settings. Some are better than others, but this is worth a try. If you have a household network, it might be good to try and "sanitize" the router, as well... ?(

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• My ping is 102 steady from the East Coast. My experience has been if my ping is high or other PC's I have corrected, it's usually malware or the firmware needs to be updated on the router.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• I've got it fixed now. I had to turn off one of the options in Zone Alarm. : Hopefully I can be back online as soon as I download and reinstall the mod...and when I find my MPID.

If I can't find it I'll just take the cash/equipment off of my dads old characters and go from there. : /

Crossfire Characters: