Concatenate (link together) Mods

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Fellow Freelancers,

Being an old Dos weenie, I've tried to do something out of the past...merge different files (mods) together for a most unusual single-player mod.

I took the Frontierspace Mod and concatenated it with the Crossfire Mod to see if it would work. Both mods are unique and have excellent features. I was looking to see if a Super Mod could come out of the mess I made.

The simple answer is I pooched it very well. However, I tried changing my starting location and the dual mods worked for short periods. System alignments, gate positions and trade lanes were often doubled up.

There are so many mods out there that have merit in one or more features. That's why I tried to do a most difficult task using an old trick.

I would still like to see a couple super mods that would cut down on a lot of development time. Unfortunately, people who own their mods often do not want to see anything they did not design or agree to.

The concatenate did not fully work, but it gave me a lot of ideas. If I were a lot younger and had the time, I'd work on a super mod, giving credit for whose work I borrowed, and see what y'all think of it. Like I said, I'm working on single player first since it is easier.

My next step is to merge some ship designs and weapons just to see how hard it is to build a smaller merged mod. Rest assured, I will not distribute anyone's work as my own nor download it unless everyone concerned approves.

A Super Crossfire with over 2,000+ planets is possible, maybe not by me, but somehow and by someone...someday

If you have constructive comments on the possibility of a Super Mod, ( e.g. Crossfire + Frontierspace + etc... ) let us all see it.

My goal was to have a Freelancer game that never ends. You can't imagine how many versions of Freelancer I've played. I have my grandchildren starting to get the Freelancer bug.

Forever a Freelancer!

Franco428

• 1. the mods are incompatible (partly on purpose)
    2. the mods dont fit together
    3. there is a licence agreement for both mods telling that you are not allowed to do what you have done
    4. the biggest part of the Crossfire content is copyrighted
    5. the mass of content is not important but the quality is and by merging 2 mods you never get any quality coz that stuff does not fit together
    6. the supermod you wish is called Crossfire 1.8

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Y'all are correct in the "it just won't work" arena. Even smaller attempts at merging some single player features failed and required me to wipe all files off the drive and start over.

It was an experiment using old technology that just did not work. In a way, it settles a lot in my mind that I need to leave the designing to the experts. I discovered you can't make a turkey from a chicken no matter how much stuffing you cram into it.

My experiments are done for two reasons...it won't work and from what y'all said, its not allowed. That is good to know. Who reads fine print anyway? Well, its obvious that some of you do.

So. End of discussion. It was a dumb idea anyway!

• not dumb... unexperienced

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!