Graphics gone bad!

There are 34 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by X-Ray.

• I was playing CF earlier today without a problem. I have just gone back in to play, so restarted the CF and found that the graphics had gone bad.

I am no expert on graphics but it would seem to me to be the lighting effects. Rather than being smooth they are there are distinct bands and the whole image seems a bit out of focus.

So I did the usual sorts of things, exited CF and rejoined and rebooted my PC but nothing changed. So I switched to my laptop and fired up the launcher (V1.6). Hit the launch CF multiplayer button and got a fatal error message saying that freelancer could not detect any 3D graphics card (and advice to reinstall drivers and game).

So I have suddenly developed problems with the graphics on two seperate machines which would seem a bit unlikely. So is any work under way or new up dates been applied to the CF server (or related systems/hardware/software) that might have caused this?

If not, any advice as to the way to solve my problems?

Lt-Cornel Ancalagon the Black

The early bird might get the worm
    but
    The second mouse gets the cheese

• There are new graphics - which appear to be causing this effect on many pcs mine included. Press shift f12 this deactivates the new graphics

• Thanks for that, PC is now looking a lot better.

Any idea how to deal with the laptop problem. It gives me a fatal error and does not even launch. So I cannot apply this solution as it does not get that far.

Laptop is quite old and running XP.

but

• 2 updates today

1. a part of the dynamic lightnings that were planned for CF1.8 have been included to CF1.7
    you will notice the change once you fire guns close to other objects

2. yes the graphics did change
    this is due to a post production hook which is able to add bloom effects, dynamic shadows, ssao, motion blur, reflections and weather effects
    right now only the ssao and the bloom effects should be active which leads that dark parts of the game such as everything that has shadows gets a more realistic look and that light parts such as suns or anything else which is bright does glow
    FL unfortunatly does not make any difference between space objects and interface (which is very likly the most disturbing part of it)
    it is also possible that some parts of the game are too bright... but that is just a matter of settings

as already stated above... you can turn these effects off
    this stuff is currently in testing phase and hopefully can be balanced a bit in the next few days/weeks

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• If u dont like the blur and gloom u can just deactivate it with Shift+F9 . U will still have the new graphic features (dynamic lighting :D ) but the blur is gone. Universe will appear darker than before since there's not enough light sources, but can helped to a certain point by raising the gamma level in the options.
    Btw, the new effects are awesome :D
    Thx a lot for that one OP

Plastic surgery since 1500 AD

---
    o
    L_
    OL
    This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.

• if the gamma lvl is too dark for you... i can change it
    if the bloom is too heavy ... i can change it aswell

CF1.8 will come with several presetted settings and the possibility to completly turn it off

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I thought the problem was here. I re-install the game and there is still that problem :/

Proud member of the Independent Operators' Consortium ever since day 1 in Crossfire. :herz:
    In-game characters: (IOC)Tyrael, (IOC)HimejiFortress

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” Sun Tzu

• The problem I have is that my laptop is giving me a fatal error and not launching the game so I don't get far enough to be able to switch it off.

Is there anything I can do or do I just have to face facts that my laptop is so old it should be used as a paper weight and not to run CF?

but

• My laptop is exactly the same fatal error whether using single or multiplayer - my display adaptors on my laptop are mobile intel 965 express chipset family. Whilst the old version did not recognise this chipset the game launched - now it will not. My laptop is only a few months old running windows xp.

• Seems the laptops got a problem with the new graphics :?

Proud member of the Independent Operators' Consortium ever since day 1 in Crossfire. :herz:

• which directx is installed?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• My laptop is running DirectX 9b

but

• I went to microsoft and downlaoded the latest version of direct x. Did a complete reinstall and the problem is the same with the laptop.

• very weird
    the d3d rendering is hooked atm and this should work even with dx8

ill need the full error log

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I love the new coalition gatts ^^

• Problem with producing a full error report - the error does not generate the usual miscrosoft error report. I do not have visual basic or c++ installed on my laptop so I can't get one that way. The error message is:-

Freelancer Fatal Error

Freelancer did not detect a 3D capable video card in your system. If you have a 3d capable video card installed please try rebooting. You may need to reinstall the game.

• what do you mean with new coal gats?
    did i change something already?

ill investigate on this laptop prob

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I cannot find a error report. If you can give me any advice or suggestions to create or finding a log, then do so.

I have checked that my laptop is fully updates and still have the same problem.

but

• I can haz screenies?^^
    I still can't get CF to work online (EVE Online works flawlessly tho) and I'm so not doing SP again...

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• I will send you my Error Logs (DX and FL) via PM it´s too personal to post it open.

As a sidenote i can´t get CF to work - even if i delete the Perfoptions.ini.

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    very weird
    the d3d rendering is hooked atm and this should work even with dx8

ill need the full error log

Click the image above to visit us.