Can someone help with...

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by supercars.

• Can someone with good writing skills help with an article about SWAT portal (and maybe another about CF?). I think some advertisment is never something bad and I can assure you our translation team will translate it in bulgarian too.

Thanks in advance ;).

Ivan Atanasov,
    Sivosten webZine webdev team

CF Chars: SMG_Simba, Simba[ServerPolice], SMG_Panthera_Leo, SMG_Kovu, SMG_Smilodon, SMG_Nimravus, SMG_Megantereon, SMG_Hoplophoneus, SMG_Ginsburgsmilus, SMG_Paramachairodus, SMG_Lokontailurus, SMG_LZ129_Hindenburg, SMG_Sponsored_By:_Puma, SMG_LZ127-Graf_Zeppelin

SMG Forums

• Think about this in this way - what would someone who don't know about SWAT want to know. For example facts like - how did swat-portal appeared, what does swat-portal covers, some good reasons to check it.

Next can be SciFi games communities as a part of the scifi fandom and where does swat-portal stand in it.

And about CF mod you can write about mods in common like expansion of favorite games and go to specifics about FL mods and then about CF as the most complex one of them, about the server, etc.

Use your imagination :D . I am only good in writing publicism and popular science :D:D .

If you agree to do it send it to: simba@sivosten.com if you don't feel confident enough maybe someone else will volunteer. Hopefully the editor will manage to fix the style so don't worry about this too much ;).

CF Chars: SMG_Simba, Simba[ServerPolice], SMG_Panthera_Leo, SMG_Kovu, SMG_Smilodon, SMG_Nimravus, SMG_Megantereon, SMG_Hoplophoneus, SMG_Ginsburgsmilus, SMG_Paramachairodus, SMG_Lokontailurus, SMG_LZ129_Hindenburg, SMG_Sponsored_By:_Puma, SMG_LZ127-Graf_Zeppelin

SMG Forums

• Am I writting with the assumption that my audience will KNOW what Freelancer is, or not?

Am I writting with the assumption that my audience is a FAN of the sci-fi/space-sim genre?

*******************EDIT*****************

Well, I went ahead and wrote something with the assumption that my target audience are people who've been playing space-sim/sci-fi games for a while. Here's a very rough draft, with no really discernable ending. I'm just trying to see if I got everything covered that you wanted ^^:

Do you remember Descent?

Freelancer is rather like Descent, except with more role-play/purpose. In the single player mode, you are a Freelancer (an individual who wanders the universe, doing odd-jobs for people who will pay. Think Handyman, but with guns) named Trent, and you find yourself in the middle of a fray between the leaders of the different nations, and a mysterious group known as The Order.

And the Multi-player? Aaah, the multi-player is amazing! Firstly, you can still enjoy whatever it is you were doing in the single-player online, just with a different set of parameters. You can trade, but youll have to deal with player pirates, which is much harder then dealing with the wimpy Rogues in single-player. You can still pirate, but youll have to deal with REAL police, hard-asses who wont get off your case till you bribe them or die.

Second, you can participate in the community, which depending on the server you go to, will either be very bad or very good.

While all the above things are very good, the best part of Freelancer is the mods. On ModDB, under the Freelancer section, there are only two Freelancer mods listed; Discovery and Crossfire. These are really the only major mods of note. Discovery is good for the number of players. At last count, the most online in the server at the same time was 128 people.

The Crossfire server on the other hand, is good for content, and the style of role-play:

New factions, including a Coalition faction, whose HQ is in the brand new Altair sector.
    New weapons, ships, equipment, etc. For Starlancer fans, there is something else of interest: The SL ships have been restored, and are worthwhile, buyable ships in the Crossfire mod.
    Over 60 new systems. Clans are also able to buy their own systems, where they can set their own rules, keep clan banks without the threat of losing all of your equipment, as well as many other benefits.
    The role-play is very, very diverse, because each clan/freelancer can do whatever they want to do. If a clan wanted to be a military entity, they could setup military blockades on certain systems, help police the Houses, or any number of other things. Likewise, another clan could be a Crime Syndicate whos only goal is to destroy the military blockade on a certain system, overthrow the tyrannical reign of the House Lords, or even just smuggle illegal goods from Point A to Point B.
    Dynamic Economy: Every day the market of illegal goods changes from one dockable to another. This makes trading and pirating much more interesting, because the traders arent whoring themselves to one trade route spanning only 4 systems. Instead they have to travel the universe to find more profitable trade routes.
    Spinning planets

I could go on and on, but what for? You guys have the website, check it out!

PS: This is the one on CF, in case you can't tell. I'll hopefully get to the other articles here before Christmas, but no promises.

• first SWAT clan = MoD (Ministers of Death) -> SL clan

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Well mate it's a good start. I would drop the part about discovery and I would concentrate on the history of CF (if you want you can mention Discovery as the other mod mentioned in moddb :D ). And some personal opinion maybe - something like "what I like in CF".

Seems like it will be you who is writing about CF so send me some details as name, date and place of birth if you want your material to be copyrighted under the bulgarian law (directive 2001/29/EC is applied), if not - just name and the material will be under creative commons license :D .

And about swat-portal maybe a different article will be best - how it started, what is it now and what will are the portal goals. And as I said where is swat-portal in the big picture of the SciFi fandom, why one should check it out - you know such things but maybe it's better to be written by someone who is in the swat staff.

SMG Forums