Performance Client sided

There are 17 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• I did a clean Windows XP Installation only for Crossfire (Thx. Endy for this tip). The effect was about 20 percent higher (faster) Game Performace.

1.) Windows XP Virtual Memory should be set to a non-varying amount of ram (3 Times bigger than your installed physical ram). Microsofts Articel is not correct in this.
    2.) Download and install FLMM 1.31, not 1.4 it´s incompatible
    3.) Download a fresh copy of Crossfire 1.7 and CF patch 1.7a
    4.) install Crossfire 1.7
    5.) install Freelancer
    6.) Download and install Freelancer Patch 1.1
    7.) Download and install Freelancer SDK 1.3 (Don´t install 1.4 it will cause some Problems ingame later)
    8.) Activate Crossfire 1.7 in FLMM 1.31 (go and make a cup of coffee and drink it but don´t touch the progress it will need some time)
    9.) Install the CF Patch 1.7a
    10.) Launch Freelancer via FLMM
    11.) Don´t play! just exit Freelancer and start it again
    12.) Let the launcer do his work (just have a look to the next Cup of Coffee the Launcer will downlad about 500! files now)
    13.) Defrag your HD (highly recommended!)
    14.) Set your firewalls Options to let Freelancer pass through.
    15.) Deactivate the 3D sound in the games audio options.
    16.) Get online and enjoy

Tips:

- Use this mouse.ini
    http://www.swat-portal.net/php…5feb8a0154c1f29&page=2#37
    - Overclock your graphics card for a better missile tracking
    - Ingame Perfomance Options should be lower down up to the 1. Hook will disappear set him back than if you like
    - Don´t use the Tool tips
    - Rename the Movies in the Freelancer directory to another name (Data/movies) for nosplash screens and a faster starting procedure. Don´t touch the freelancer.ini for this or you will be kicked as a cheater...
    - defrag your HD everytime before going online
    - If you use a router or Server for you internet connection use even MS QoS on the Server and your client

Related Topics:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819836/EN-US/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814550/EN-US/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814551/EN-US/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829476/en-us/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814549/EN-US/

Click the image above to visit us.

• Defrag your HD everytime? Isn't that a bit of a pain just to play? ?( I guess it might be worth it on older systems tho..... but mines only a month old. :D

My Laptop: Acer Aspire 9302, Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD Turion64 MK-38 2.2Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 751MB nVidia GeForce Go 6100 Graphics.

My Sound System: Logitech Z-5400, THX Certified, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. With remote control. :P

PiA Forever.

• Hi there,

I do it everytime before going online. It´s a clean Installation. The only Program which is working on it is Crossfire. So a defrag session is not more than two minutes.

Effect: Ingame Menus faster, lift of and docking procedures faster, not a single stucking for caching or loading, system changes faster (when i´m going behind another player through a jumpgate - i´m faster in the other system than he) and so on.

This is not about Crossfire, it´s about Freelancer and it´s working but it´s on you to use it or not to use it ;)

• Ah I see...... sounds a bit boastful, but mine does that anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter for me :D

My Laptop: Acer Aspire 9302, Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD Turion64 MK-38 2.2Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 751MB nVidia GeForce Go 6100 Graphics.

My Sound System: Logitech Z-5400, THX Certified, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. With remote control. :P

PiA Forever.

Originally posted by C9H14NO3
    1.) Windows XP Virtual Memory should be set to a non-varying amount of ram (3 Times bigger than your installed physical ram). Microsofts Articel is not correct in this.

dunno where did you get that information, but im not agree with that virtual ram config:

virtual memory is much slower than physical memory. if virtual memory is much bigger than physical memory the system will eventually end using much more often virtual memory than strictly needed, and the overall performance will decrease

so, if you set a value too small for your virtual memory your system can tell you it has not enough memory to work but if you set a value too big you can experience your performance decreased

the optimum virtual memory size is dependant on the physical memory installed. for systems with 512MB or less it should be from 1.5 to 2 times the installed ram.
    if your system has more than 1GB, it should be from 1 to 1.5 times the physical ram.
    with higher ram setups (i see there is somebody out there with 4GB) to disable virtual memory is an option worth to study (at least in windows XP)

i really cannot see any environment in which its better to use a virtual memory 3 times the size of the physical ram (maybe with 128 or 256MB configs...). in fact, microsoft support team warns about the possibility of getting system crashes (BSOD) if a virtual memory of more than 4GB is used (especifically if you are using a fat32 volume... -more common than you can think-)

you know that your virtual ram is too high when you can hear your hard disk working hard but you didnt star a heavy I/O procces (providing you have not one of these ultra-silent HD ^^)

anyways i agree its better to set it as a fixed value

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Bunny thinks Ed is not as cool as him

• I agree with Arvedui

in case you have XP and 1GB or more i would go for disabled virtual memory (afterall you're not running Vista nor Freelancer is like soem of the new games which are capable of taking 1GB+ of RAM)

• to make it short^^

6.) Download and install Freelancer Patch 1.1

the freelancer patch is relevant for servers only, not for clients..

7.) Download and install Freelancer SDK 1.3 (Don´t install 1.4 it will cause some Problems ingame later)

the SDK is definitely not needed at all!

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• would agree with häger, don't see any point why a Software Developer Kit should help in increasing the performance...

If you install the Patch 1.1 it is then replaced by the files from the launcher... (<- thats what i recognized)

I think defrag the HDD would only be useful if you have only a hdd or partition for freelancer - otherwise other fragments of files would also avoid a performance increase.

besides editing the freelancer.ini would not lead automatically to a cheat detection, also not if you only deactivate the intro movies :D (I use this)

virtual ram is slower because the space comes from you HDD, if you use more than your physical memory the files are extracted and loaded from your HDD. Thatswhy i also would prefer if you have enough physical memory you can leave the normal setting of windows :D (all other stuff would nearly be enough for normal and not advanced users of windows :D)

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

Thanks Kermit for this information, great idea from you to post this. I will keep this in mind - if i renew my windows :D

• well done Kermit, you managed to get +1 for your post count :) - 99% of that is already known as most ppl have CF up and running. I recommend you dont overclock processors or graphics cards without getting a high powered fan and i've already screwed up one P4 HT from overclocking it too high.

The recommendation i say to everyone is: Have Fun! thats the point of games - not waiting hours to get the PC ready ;)

Blaster

• dont use the 1.1 patch
    dont use the sdk

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Advice concerning virtual memory, please.

I have 2GB DDR2 RAM and an 20GB system partition on my 160GB HDD (also have a 256MB DDR3 graphics card if that matters something).

So i would like to know how should i set Virtual memory (also says total pageing file) under System/Advanced/Performance setings for best performance?

Tnx!

Buy a ticket, take a ride! [45]

DD BlackOps Hassassin

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    dont use the 1.1 patch
    dont use the sdk

the freelancer patch is relevant for servers only, not for clients..

1.1 fixes even known issues with getting for example the multiplayer ID Client sided you know that?!.
    1.3 is the sdk of course but did you ever try to play some other mods out there without this?! Guess no...

Physical Ram

Sure if your system have more than about 2 GB u don´t realy need to use replaced HDD space for virtuell memory. If you have bigger Memory than 1 GB you need to lower the values. I will figure that out with the amount of more RAM than i have atm thanks for clarifying this you are correct Arvedui.

besides editing the freelancer.ini would not lead automatically to a cheat detection

Well, this was my own experience while doing it. Many forums out there are prove this experiences (rtm Huor).

well done Kermit, you managed to get +1 for your post count - 99% of that is already known as most ppl have CF up and running. I recommend you dont overclock processors or graphics cards without getting a high powered fan and i've already screwed up one P4 HT from overclocking it too high.

Well, why did you smoke your proz? It´s not the Problem of others when you are not able to set the correct values i guess - and may you plz read my post i´ve said nothing about overclocking the proz. Anyway i will not explain the context between Software and slightly overclocked Hardware here. Just try it out with up to 15% or let it be.
    Btw. did you ever try to read the whole Forum Blaster - i did this Thread bec. i was asked to do so and when Ppl. step in here they often run in trouble while installing the game. If you don´t like what i wrote leave my thread alone or ignore it!

Gonzo you´ve got a pm

1.1 fixes even known issues with getting for example the multiplayer ID Client sided you know that?!.

yes, i know that^^ if u check this url: http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/downloads_06.aspx u r partially right but then microsoft says there: "There is really no need to install the update unless you are running a server or are unable to play multiplayer because you can't get an ID."

1.3 is the sdk of course but did you ever try to play some other mods out there without this?! Guess no...

some other mods need the sdk, i know that. but i also know that crossfire does not... ;)

sidenote: u did a good job with this thread, i just want to add to it...

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• oh really does FL 1.1 fix that? incredible... i didnt hear before that there is such a problem and to my knowledge the patch doesnt even touch the that script

the sdk is indeed needed for several other mods... but not for crossfire

oh and did you know that the 1.1 patch and sdk are part of crossfire?
    if i say "clean installation" i mean "clean installation"

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• OP, please delete this thread - thx...

• nope - the thread is a good idea... u just couldnt know about the rest

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,