Mike Winterbauer Creating Power Blade Portfolio

Artist Mike Winterbauer, who now has several successful art-driven Kickstarters under his belt, is in the midst of a new campaign for the work he did on Powerblade. The original Nintendo game Powerblade box features a futuristic dude wearing sunglasses in a tank top while holding a gigantic power blade. Until this point, I had no idea that Mr. Winterbauer was the actual power blade guy! He posed for the scene in 1991 and then painted it accordingly for the box cover. I never played the game itself, but I do very much remember it on store shelves in the early '90s. For any fans of the game out there, a handful of cool prints will be available in a similar fashion to his Wing Commander portfolio project. You can learn more and back the campaign here.

winterbauer_art16t.jpgwinterbauer_art17t.jpgwinterbauer_art18t.jpgwinterbauer_art19t.jpgwinterbauer_art20t.jpgwinterbauer_art21t.jpg

This Kickstarter is raising funds to create awesome collectible prints for the iconic NES game Power Blade and show the process of repainting the cover. I will be actually recreating my classic Power Blade painting for this KickStarter! At each stage of this painting I will be showing and explaining the creative process. This is a wonderful opportunity to see how classic traditional cover art is created.

The cover of Power Blade is actually a portrait of myself. It is not every day that you get your portrait on the cover of a Classic Nintendo game.

I was very excited when I was asked to paint a cover for the Power Blade game that had a Terminator feel to it. I am a huge fan of the movie and of Arnold. This was a challenge to come up with a cover that felt like Terminator but was original material. I needed to portray the main character from the game Nova holding his cool boomerang in a futuristic environment that felt like Terminator. I realized that I would need original reference to paint from and I always took my own photos to use as reference. So I set up a photoshoot that had a Terminator feel to it, which really is all about attitude.